Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Youkilis wants DH in (NL Parks) Interleague and World Series

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
"We built our team around the designated hitter, and when they come to our park, they get to use their position players and pitchers don't have to hit....But vice-versa with us, our pitchers have to hit which never hit."

"Hopefully [Commissioner] Bud Selig at some point will review it. For us we're at a disadvantage a lot, and hopefully in Interleague we can use the DH in National League parks and in the World Series, too."

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/news/artic ... s&c_id=bos

Well, that's too bad. Maybe you shouldn't rely on your DH so much.

Zambrano38

Aug 11, 2008
Ya AL teams are at a disadvantage when their pitcher has to hit, and NL teams are at a disadvantage when they have to use a DH. How is it fair for AL teams to always have the advantage?

RZimm11

Feb 4, 2009
Pretty funny, probably because it took 4 errors for them to salvage game 3 against the Pirates today, who have the WORST interleague record of anyone!

Poor Red Sox.

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
that comment comes from the fact that Ortiz and Gonzalez are both mashing and both play 1B so one or the other has to sit out during interleague play. There have been people saying to try Adrian in right field etc. just for these games so they don't lose the offense of one or the other. IMO I wouldn't mind them going to DH for both leagues cause watching pitchers hit is like giving up 5 free at bats every night. stat padder for NL pitchers but it does make NL managers make more decisions every time out.

marhjan

Aug 2, 2010
Full disclosure - I'm an AL guy, and believe watching the pitcher have to bat is just silly and a waste.

That said - be quiet Kevin... everyone deals with the same rules, when an AL team goes to an NL park and vice versa yes they ARE at a disadvantage. It's part of the game - there are plenty of baseball (NL mostly) fans who disagree with me, and think the lack of a DH increases strategy. This is part of interleague play, and I wouldn't expect it to change anytime soon.

RZimm11

Feb 4, 2009
1st4040 said:
that comment comes from the fact that Ortiz and Gonzalez are both mashing and both play 1B so one or the other has to sit out during interleague play. There have been people saying to try Adrian in right field etc. just for these games so they don't lose the offense of one or the other. IMO I wouldn't mind them going to DH for both leagues cause watching pitchers hit is like giving up 5 free at bats every night. stat padder for NL pitchers but it does make NL managers make more decisions every time out.

The fact that the Sox can't put Ortiz on the field because he can't field anymore is their own fault.

Either you have a pitcher that can't hit, or a hitter that can't field. Same thing to me.

Can't stand the DH and don't think either league should have it. If you can't be an all-around player, shouldn't be on a major league roster.

Sure a pitcher is never gonna be as good a hitter as an everyday player, but they should at least be serviceable at the plate. Bunt, slap hit, know how to take a walk, etc.

Just my opinion.

bigpapiMA32

Aug 7, 2008
Monterey, CA
Zambrano38 said:
Ya AL teams are at a disadvantage when their pitcher has to hit, and NL teams are at a disadvantage when they have to use a DH. How is it fair for AL teams to always have the advantage?

Not sure I'm following you here. Surely NL teams have reserve players who would hit better than their pitchers.

RZimm11

Feb 4, 2009
marhjan said:
Full disclosure - I'm an AL guy, and believe watching the pitcher have to bat is just silly and a waste.

That said - be quiet Kevin... everyone deals with the same rules, when an AL team goes to an NL park and vice versa yes they ARE at a disadvantage. It's part of the game - there are plenty of baseball (NL mostly) fans who disagree with me, and think the lack of a DH increases strategy. This is part of interleague play, and I wouldn't expect it to change anytime soon.

I agree. That's how the rules are, so you need to be able to deal with them. You know you're gonna have these games during the season, so either adapt for them, or struggle through.

Don't like inter-league play, but I don't think it's going anywhere either.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
This should get more play than Roenicke saying (more accurately I might add), that Interleague play can be "unfair" when a team like Milwaukee (only for instance THIS year) puls the hardest interleague schedule.

He also says this on a day when Brewers' pitcher Chris Narveson out-hits him... :benson:

If Youk wants to make things fair in this game, maybe MLB should also start taking into account division strength when lining up these games.

zach

Aug 7, 2008
Evil Empire
Every time this guy opens his mouth, he's whining about something.

Boo hoo! Let me see if I can work up a tear.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Youk just may have had to get this off his mind. His head is at its circumference limitations. I say let the baby vent

KC37

Aug 7, 2008
Massachusetts
The only thing I can hope is that he was responding to a question - it's actually been a big topic on sports radio around here for a few days. It bothers me when it's not framed as the answer to a question and just looks like random bitching.

If it is random bitching, then shame on him. It's not a new development. It just happens to be a bigger disadvantage this year than in the past. Deal with it, and beat the friggin' Pirates.

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008
It's not that Ortiz can't play first.....I think they could get away with him in the field without it being a complete catastrophe. The problem is if you put Ortiz in at first then Gonzalez is on the bench......so that really doesn't solve much.
Not having Ortiz in the lineup hurts......but really losing 4 in a row has more to do with Beckett being scratched from a start because he was sick, having Buchholz and Crawford on the DL....and let's face it you're not going to score 6-12 runs a game, you're going to get some games were you simply don't get the hits with runners on.

Really if you're going to bitch about something to do with interleague play.....imo it should be the unbalanced schedule. As others have mentioned, all AL teams have the same disadvantage in NL parks, so if something is "unfair" I'd lean toward it being the schedule.

Zambrano38

Aug 11, 2008
bigpapiMA32 said:
Zambrano38 said:

Not sure I'm following you here. Surely NL teams have reserve players who would hit better than their pitchers.

Yes, most NL teams' reserves are better than their pitchers at hitting, but they are just going to be using someone coming off the bench while an AL team has a specific player, usually a great hitter in the DH spot. For teams like the Cubs though, I think they may be better off letting their pitchers hit. :shock:

rehmus

Mar 10, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
this thread is hilarious.

the red sox play in the american league and they play 95% of their games with a designated hitter. suggesting it's the red sox fault for not making their roster flexible enough for this is just stupid. having the premier DH in baseball is unequivocally a competitive advantage for Boston.

as for youkilis himself, he is, in a way, correct. he is simply saying that the American League is at a greater disadvantage playing in NL parks than the NL is playing in AL parks. in reality the entire system needs to be overhauled to make this truly fair (that is, its not fair that the AL has better DHs than the NL, either).

I'm really glad Youkilis gets under Yankees fans' skins. It's hilarious.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
he can just want in one hand and shat in the other .then he can pull his whinny head out of his ass and wipe it with his hand. thats the hand that will fill first!

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
The greatest debate I have heard over Interleague had to have been during the fourth rain delay of the third game in the Padres series.

The host of SoxTalk went on for about 15 minutes talking about how he disliked the DH. DH's are incomplete, they can't play the field, they are just hitters, etc.

Not five minutes later he was ranting about how unfare it was that the Red Sox didn't have a place to play Ortiz during interleague. That was unfare and rules should be changed.

Sir, you either like the DH or you don't like the DH. Who's fault is it that your "incomplete" player is the second best hitter on the team?

Members online