Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What and why do you grade?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
There's been a lot of discussion about grading (PSA vs BGS, minimum grades, reselling, etc), so I thought I'd throw this question out there: What cards do you get graded and why?

Looking at the FCB Group sub threads, there's a lot of people submitting Chrome Draft Pick Auto Rainbow X-Fractors of prospects I've never even heard of ( :) ), so I assume a lot of these cards are for investing/flipping.

For you player collectors, which PC cards do you submit? Only high value cards? Only cards you know will gem? Myself, I've submitted a couple of PC cards for authentication and protection (a patch card and a 1/1), but I'm thinking of trying to collect BGS 9 or better RC's of my guy. Do you buy up a bunch of raw cards and submit the best ones hoping they'll get your minimum grade, or do you buy already-graded cards?

Or do you think grading is a waste of money and would rather spend the cash on more cards?

Just curious to hear other collector's opinions. Thanks!

alifaxwa2

Dec 24, 2008
Jefferson, MD
I am a football RC player collector, noone newer than 2004. Most of the players I collect raw, but a few I like to slab. Some, like Jerome Bettis are not high value cards, so its easy to acquire quantity and try to sub the best to try to get 9.5 on everything, when I don't get the 9.5, I rarely try to upgrade, and I don't buy slabbed 9.5 of the cheap raw stuff (too much premium, not spending $40 for a 9.5 of a non-condition sensitive $4 card). For higher priced guys, like Troy Polamalu's rc, I buy raw when I can, but if I can get a 9-9.5 for slightly more than the raw price, I will do that. I just bought his toughest RC for $110, raw, and its probably 8-8.5. I won't be upgrading unless the premium (over buying and slabbing this one) ends up small, I will then sell mine.

For me, other PC stuff, like auto/patches, or vintage rookies etc, are slabbed simply for protection, with no concern about trying for high grade. I buy what I can afford and won't pay a crazy premium for a card with grade higher.

alifaxwa2

Dec 24, 2008
Jefferson, MD
olerud363 said:
Or do you think grading is a waste of money and would rather spend the cash on more cards?
I know that what I collect, grading IS a waste of money, but for me, spending $100-$150 for a box of cards, is also a waste of money. So I like to waste my money on cards I actually like (by slabbing them). I am currently going through a phase where I am authenticating/slabbing cast sets of signed index cards for protection, mostly to protect the rarer actor, and keep consistency for the rest of the cast.

Plus, I get the same excitement from waiting for grades to pop that I do from busting overpriced packs.

bradical

Jun 21, 2009
Cards I intend to flip I submit in hopes of squeezing a little extra cash out of my sale.

Buy a card for $30, invest $8 into grading, and then sell it for $60 - $70 a few months later. Clock work.

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
I've only submitted a few things for grading, but the things I prefer graded are rookies of my player collections and high dollar cards. I don't care if the high dollar card is an 8.5, 9 or 9.5, but if I'm going to spend a good chunk of change on a card I want to have a good idea of the condition before I buy it.

carlitoson

Aug 7, 2008
My last grading submission was about 11 years ago, when I realized that I was seriously wasting my card money. I still have around 300-400 slabs in the collection, but the money I used to spend on grading now goes toward more cards.

I realize I'm probably in the very small minority on these boards, but in my opinion the ONLY reason a collector would grade cards would be to try to increase the re-sale value of the cards. If you're not planning on selling them, why on Earth pay someone to slab them? As far as "protection" of the cards, there are many ways to keep cards protected without forking over $5-10 per card. If you're afraid of natural disasters or something else happening, buy insurance. Simple.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
carlitoson said:
My last grading submission was about 11 years ago, when I realized that I was seriously wasting my card money. I still have around 300-400 slabs in the collection, but the money I used to spend on grading now goes toward more cards.

I realize I'm probably in the very small minority on these boards, but in my opinion the ONLY reason a collector would grade cards would be to try to increase the re-sale value of the cards. If you're not planning on selling them, why on Earth pay someone to slab them? As far as "protection" of the cards, there are many ways to keep cards protected without forking over $5-10 per card. If you're afraid of natural disasters or something else happening, buy insurance. Simple.

I completely agree. I would never waist money on grading because I live by the motto 'buy the card, not the grade'. Having said that, I see no problem with people spending the coin to potentially maximize there profit, or protect there investments and collectables via a 3'rd party grading service. It's just not my cup of tea. The only case in which I could see myself paying another person to grade a card of mine would be in the unlikely situation I was fortunate enough to come across a stock of HOF high quality vintage type stuff where I would appreciate the added opinion of authentication and protection, but even then I would be hesitant. It's just not really part of my hobby as I enjoy it.

And in the interest of full disclosure here, it's part based on opinion of grading and part a financial decision. I simply can not justify spending the money necessary to grade my cards. I'm not poor, but certainly not wealthy. And since I'm not a power seller or a high volume grader, I would not really see the benefit of hitting the big grade(s). But like I said above, I see no wrong with people who enjoy and profit from it.

shayscards79

Aug 17, 2010
Chicago
I haven't graded a single card... and the majority of my stuff is prospects. I just think it can be a royal pain in the ass. Especially when I see friends cracking cases because their cards came back an 8.5 or 9. To me sending off cards to only find out I could have sold them raw for the same price because they weren't a 9.5 or 10 isn't very appealing.

As far as my PC cards are concerned, I'm old school and still like the old school feel of just having my stuff in a toploader. Plus slabs take up too much space.

chadwright

Jun 25, 2011
Austin, TX
I'll probably be in the minority as one who is going to grade but I don't really care what the grades are.

I'm about to submit my first 20 cards to BGS. These are my Nolan Ryan autographs. I eventually plan to (slowly) have my entire Nolan Ryan collection graded by BGS. Yes, even the 1990 Topps.

I've spent a lot of time messing with the slabs from all the different companies. BGS wins for me because not only is it a very attractive slab, they grade all different sizes of cards. I like the look of the SGC holders, but they can't grade thicker cards.

I'm kind of a nut about wanting my collection all stored and presented in the same way. BGS allows me to do that. It has nothing to do with resale value for me because I don't plan on selling these. The grades don't even really matter. I don't have an unlimited bank account and collecting Nolan Ryan autos and some of the more rare game-used patches adds up fast. So if I get a card and it's a 7 or 8, I'll still have it slabbed and be happy. I know I'm probably not going to spend the time or the money to upgrade an already expensive card.

So, not a lot of logic behind my reasoning. I just like the BGS slabs and want my collection in them. Grades and resale value don't factor into the decision. Those are just nice side effects.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
As a prospector and collector of players from the Bowman Chrome era, I submit basically any Chrome card that I think has a chance to get a 9.5 grade except non-autographed base chromes.

From the prospecting side, there is huge ROI potential from grading.

From the collecting side, a strong grade increases value and protects the card in a nice-looking long-term case.

bradical

Jun 21, 2009
Bought for $8:

2008-bdpp112-lonnie-chisenhall-auto.jpg

Sold for $190:

2008-bdpp-lonnie-chisenhall-pristine.jpg

Bought for $5:

bdpp97-mike-leake-auto.jpg

Sold for $125:

2009-bdpp-mike-leake-pristine.jpg

Bought for $2:

2008-bcp134-carlos-santana-ref.jpg

Sold for $125:

2008-bcp-carlos-santana-ref-pristine.jpg

$15 invested, $440 in return.

bear0555

Aug 27, 2008
From a collecting standpoint, there is no reason to grade. The supplies available for us cost far less than than the grading fee and protect the cards just fine. In addition, there are just too many issues that can arise. It's not uncommon for cards to get "softer" in terms of condition. I've never used SGC but PSA has softened one of my corners and scratched one of my cards (in two small submissions) and beckett has destroyed the edges of two of my thicker cards because the sleeves broke. Nothing pisses me off more than when grading companies damage my cards. However, I do grade often for the sole purpose of flipping.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
bradical said:
Bought for $8:

2008-bdpp112-lonnie-chisenhall-auto.jpg

Sold for $190:

2008-bdpp-lonnie-chisenhall-pristine.jpg

Bought for $5:

bdpp97-mike-leake-auto.jpg

Sold for $125:

2009-bdpp-mike-leake-pristine.jpg

Bought for $2:

2008-bcp134-carlos-santana-ref.jpg

Sold for $125:

2008-bcp-carlos-santana-ref-pristine.jpg

$15 invested, $440 in return.

Now now bud where are your grading fees. LOL

shayscards79

Aug 17, 2010
Chicago
I can't stand when people try to sell raw cards for absurdly high prices because they swear that "it'll grade a 10."

I had a guy at a show try to sell me a Peyton Manning Topps rookie for $40 because he swore it would yeild a 10. **** with that dumb ****.