Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Let me run an ebay situation by you guys...........

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

glewis22

Jan 8, 2010
So I purchased a lot of 37 Bryce Harper Chrome Cards via auction from ebay. I got them today in the mail, signed for the package. I took the cards out of the package and all was good. I spent about $10+ on each of these so I wanted to inspect each one. At the end of looking at the surface of each of the Harpers, I noticed that a total of 4 of them had scratches on them - originally I had 7 in this pile that were scratched and realized that not all of them were going to be flawless and put 3 of those into the good pile.

So I ve got 4 cards that are suspect. One has about 6 scratch marks, one has 2 decent size scatch marks, another has one modest streak running from the top middle down, another has 2 spots where its creased a bit.

Heres my question - the auction stated that each card was NrMint-Mint unless otherwise stated, and it wasnt. So, are the cards Ive mentioned NrMint-Mint? I dont think they are but I could be wrong. I am pretty sure If I were to sell these 4 cards as NrMint-Mint to someone, someone would definitely call me on it. Being as these are $10+ each and it was stated that ALL cards were NrMint-Mint I wrote the seller a calm email. Here is what I wrote:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi there ___________, I received your package today and for the most part, Im pretty happy. I looked at the Harpers you sent me and for the most part they are in good condition. I understand the centering is going to be different on all 37 and didnt find 1 Harper that was noticeably bad - so no issues on the centering on any of the cards.

However, Im sitting here with 4 of the Harpers in front of me that have several surface flaws. I originally had about 7 that were scratched on the surface and noticed that 3 of those werent that unreasonable, so I put them back into the good pile because i understand they cant all be flawless. However, I do have 4 that are pretty bad - these 4 cards have scratches on them that definitely degrade the cards value. I am wondering if there is something we could do about this?

Wondering if you have any ideas on how to handle this - being as I paid $10+ for each I was hoping we could come to some sort of agreement.

Thanks in advance,
Greg
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What do you guys think? Possible solution, am I in the right here, am I in the wrong?

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Ask for a partial refund and return the three to him.

Might be an all-or-nothing situation though but see what he says

glewis22

Jan 8, 2010
I hear you about the cherry picking, and this is where it gets dicey. Based on the fact that its a 37 card lot, it is not a bad percentage at all is it. However, when I think about the amount paid per unit, $10+ and the fact that he stated that ALL cards are NrMint-Mint is where I get confused. These 4 cards are not NrMint-Mint, but the lot as a whole is - or isnt it?

Thanks for the feedback so far guys, I just wanna do the right thing here.

Brad

Aug 23, 2008
Near mint is a BGS 7

Near Mint/Mint is a BGS 8

so unless those cards would grade a 7.5 (or 6.5, depending on how you interpret his auction) or worse, I doubt you have case, if you go by that standard.

CollectorsCorner

Super Moderator
Feb 13, 2009
Brad said:
Near mint is a BGS 7

Near Mint/Mint is a BGS 8

so unless those cards would grade a 7.5 (or 6.5, depending on how you interpret his auction) or worse, I doubt you have case, if you go by that standard.

That's what I would say, one thing wrong with the card unless it is a big wrong is not going to take a card out of nm/mint condition.

bdal23

Aug 7, 2008
Even with the scratches those cards would be a BGS 7 which is nrMT. I'd say they are adequately described. If I was the seller I would only give a refund if you returned the WHOLE lot.
I would rate the seller on whether this lot appeared to be cherry picked. As long as there appear to be cards that are well centered, sharp corners, and clean surfaces the few that are not shouldn't hurt you.

boomo

Sep 14, 2008
ive been getting chromes in since the product came out,
i havent checked one of them. i bought them between 8-12
in hopes that if he makes it, they will get 20-30 ungraded.
i think 33/37 is damn good, cus that guy may not have inspected every one.
i know if i ever move my stash i won t inspect them either,
and i will tell bidders to bid as though they will only grade 8,
and im sure i will still get what i want.

im not trying to call you picky, BUT 33/37 is pretty damn good.
ill gladly give you 30 for the 4 scratchy ones.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Please allow me to be frank and not BS you:

If you wanted perfect cards, you should have bought BGS graded ones. The ONLY person's opinion that really matters is the grader at BGS. Some guy on the internet is selling a lot in good faith. His opinion is just that, an opinion.

And do not ask for a partial refund. That it pure crap. I hate when buyers ask for partial refunds, as they are trying to get something for free/reduced price (to be clear, I do NOT feel you're doing this).

And lets look at this realistically: You will most likely make a decent haul on the flip when you sell these Harpers to people that generally do NOT understand what a BGS 9.5 is anyway. They will probably pay you $20 ea. just to have a great Harper card, and still think they got a deal.

So, in the end, you'll be fine, the seller wasn't hiding anything, and those cards will sell just fine when Harper makes his MLB debut.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
hive17 said:
And do not ask for a partial refund. That it pure crap. I hate when buyers ask for partial refunds, as they are trying to get something for free/reduced price (to be clear, I do NOT feel you're doing this).

Youre not getting anything free by sending the ones back.

Seller gets the cards, buyer gets some of the money back.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
HPC said:
hive17 said:

Actually, thank you for reminding me.

Send ALL the cards back, or keep ALL the cards. None of this in-between business. You may not be trying to cherry pick the lot, but you are, even with all good intentions.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
hive17 said:
HPC said:
hive17 said:

Send ALL the cards back, or keep ALL the cards. None of this in-between business. You may not be trying to cherry pick the lot, but you are, even with all good intentions.

I can see the arguement for what youre saying but I dont see the harm if he sends the cards back.

I highly doubt the seller will have a hard time reselling them to someone who isnt as picky.

IndyManning18

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
glewis22 said:
I hear you about the cherry picking, and this is where it gets dicey. Based on the fact that its a 37 card lot, it is not a bad percentage at all is it. However, when I think about the amount paid per unit, $10+ and the fact that he stated that ALL cards are NrMint-Mint is where I get confused. These 4 cards are not NrMint-Mint, but the lot as a whole is - or isnt it?

What a hobby we have. ::facepalm::

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
hive17 said:

If you wanted perfect cards, you should have bought BGS graded ones. The ONLY person's opinion that really matters is the grader at BGS. Some guy on the internet is selling a lot in good faith. His opinion is just that, an opinion.

And lets look at this realistically: You will most likely make a decent haul on the flip when you sell these Harpers to people that generally do NOT understand what a BGS 9.5 is anyway. They will probably pay you $20 ea. just to have a great Harper card, and still think they got a deal.

So, in the end, you'll be fine, the seller wasn't hiding anything, and those cards will sell just fine when Harper makes his MLB debut.

I agree. If your looking for all BGS 9.5 cards. Buy graded..

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
HPC said:
hive17 said:
HPC said:
hive17 said:

I can see the arguement for what youre saying but I dont see the harm if he sends the cards back.

I highly doubt the seller will have a hard time reselling them to someone who isnt as picky.

But put yourself in the seller's position. You WOULD resell the cards, but why should you have to, when you did your best to sell a decent lot and provide decent service on eBay? We constantly, as sellers, come on here and complain about these situations. As buyers, we should at least do unto others.

glewis22

Jan 8, 2010
hive17 said:

Thank you, this and the responses before this one make me feel like I did really well with the lot and am super happy with it and will not need anything from the seller. I was just curious what constituted NrMint-Mint and these cards are that so its fine. Thank you so much guys for helping me with this.

Greg

glewis22

Jan 8, 2010
hive17 said:
HPC said:
hive17 said:

I hear ya.

glewis22

Jan 8, 2010
HPC said:
hive17 said:
HPC said:
hive17 said:

Im not trying to be picky, really. I just am wondering what the deal is with NrMint-Mint and if everything is on the up and up being uninformed enough about the 4 that I thought were a bit suspect. Turns out the lot is just as described and Im happy. That is why I came here, to get some feedback from you guys and handle the situation right and not be a buyer who demands whatever because he is wrong or is being picky. I see that If I were to ask for a partial refund that would be not fair, these cards are NrMint-Mint and Im very happy now.

glewis22

Jan 8, 2010
IndyMann said:
glewis22 said:

What a hobby we have. ::facepalm::

Whats the problem troll? Im in it for the money? So what? Why do you care why Im in it for? Its also a hobby for me, I also like to make money by buying/investing/flipping - how dare I huh?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts