Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Central Divisions Race with questions!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bornagaincollector

Aug 7, 2008
Cleveland,Ohio
I'm a Indians fan so i'm just happy that they are in this on July 1st.This is just for thought/opinions and some good old baseball chat! I have been thinking about this for a few days.

Since most likely the Royals and Twins are out of it.That leaves Cleveland,Detroit and Chicago...Chicago/Cleveland farm systems are much superior then Detroits i believe.

I guess i'm saying that I believe it will be hard for Detroit to win this division over Cleveland since we have the prospects to get better and Detroit doesnt.We dont have the Justin Verlander type pitcher,but we have better overall pitching and a better bullpen then anybody in the division.

Anybody here have any other thoughts.

srslychris

May 18, 2009
Indiana
Growing up in Indiana we never really had a baseball team to cheer from, my Father is a Cleveland indians fan, I took up the reds. With that being said I like the Indians chances and I hope they can pull it out. They're having a great season.

Me & Dad will be making the drive to Cincinnati Sunday to watch game 3 of this series. :)

dreamerfan

Aug 10, 2008
Rochester,Mi
Being a tigers fan all my life I have to side with the tigers to win the division. Their farm is weak but their bats keep hitting and they do need another starter

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
The Tigers are who I think will take it. They don't need a farm system this year, look at their lineup.

I also wouldn't count the Twins out, 8.5 games back really isn't THAT much with half the season left to go. They're also historically a very good 2nd half team so I wouldn't be surprised to see them make a run.

I don't think the Sox have what it takes. They may stick around for awhile but I don't really see them overtaking both Detroit and Cleveland. And honestly I wouldn't be surprised if the Twins ended up passing them too by the end of the year.

The Indians have played well so far and have surprised just about everyone, but I think their pitching will come back to earth in the second half. The Tigers have some questions in their staff as well, but with Verlander seeming like almost an automatic win every 5th day plus Scherzer holding his own, and a lot of quality starts from Porcello (at least until lately), I think they still probably have the best staff in the division.

It's gonna be a fun race to follow and with no team standing too far ahead of the others, it may come down to the wire again this year.

showoff

Aug 8, 2009
The Twins are not out of it yet. If the can get within 4-5 games they could be the team to pull off a blockbuster trade. There prospects are dam good and doing well too.

TGutta

May 30, 2010
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Yeah I think it is still too early to count the Twins out, but they have a long way to go. If they can get closer to .500 before the break and maybe get to within 5-6 games out then they definitely still have a chance. If the Twins do indeed fall out of it I think it's the Tigers division to lose. They have a decent staff led by Cy Young candidate Verlander and an offense led by Cabrera, Martinez, and Boesch. They also have much, much more experience than the Indians.

Bornagaincollector

Aug 7, 2008
Cleveland,Ohio
Twins have showed they can come back during a season.This year they have to overtake 3 teams ahead of them,thats in itself is a major obstacle.Another thing is they had a 8 game winning streak about 10 days ago and the closet they got was what 6.5 games.With the trading deadline being 4 weeks ago the Twins are going to be trading prospects unless they play .750 ball and the other 3 teams fall apart at the same time.

mrwhitesox30

Oct 7, 2008
I'm already counting the Twins out, as they've just had too many injuries. I also still don't believe in the Indians, as their pitching just doesn't seem consistent enough, and they don't have the aforementioned "stopper," like Verlander. Sox pitching has come around, and I think if they can get a bat going, whether it's bringing Viciedo up, or Dunn or Rios swinging like they're paid to, I think they'll take it. Otherwise, I think the Tigers will win it.

OhioBobcat3

Aug 7, 2008
Ohio
mrwhitesox30 said:
I'm already counting the Twins out, as they've just had too many injuries. I also still don't believe in the Indians, as their pitching just doesn't seem consistent enough, and they don't have the aforementioned "stopper," like Verlander. Sox pitching has come around, and I think if they can get a bat going, whether it's bringing Viciedo up, or Dunn or Rios swinging like they're paid to, I think they'll take it. Otherwise, I think the Tigers will win it.

The only real problem with the Indians' starting rotation is Fausto Carmona. Either he needs to find his A-game or management needs to replace him. As soon as one or the other takes place, their rotation will be solidified. If it were up to me, he'd have been replaced already. He's had too many chances at this point to get his head screwed on straight, including being optioned to ROOKIE ball two years back to get his mental approach under control. He's out of options now, so it's either get it together or hello bullpen. With the Indians barely grasping ahold of first place, they absolutely cannot wait much longer for him to figure things out.

As for the lack of a stopper, check out Carlos Carrasco's last few starts. If he continues to pitch like he has, they may have their stopper. I never thought in a million years that he would be that pitcher going into the season, but something seems to have clicked.

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
Sorry fellas, but the Twins are not out of this.
If you really think a team cannot come back from 7+ out with 3 months or less to play, you must not remember the Twins of:
2009 that were 7 back on September 6th, guess who won the division?
2006 that were 10 back on July 1st, 12 back on July 15th, guess who won the division?
2003 that were 7.5 back on July 17th, guess who won the division?

This team is getting healthy and hot right now.

Bornagaincollector said:
Twins have showed they can come back during a season.This year they have to overtake 3 teams ahead of them,thats in itself is a major obstacle.Another thing is they had a 8 game winning streak about 10 days ago and the closet they got was what 6.5 games.With the trading deadline being 4 weeks ago the Twins are going to be trading prospects unless they play .750 ball and the other 3 teams fall apart at the same time.

Ummm....they were 16.5 back on June 1st. On June 21st they were 6.5 back. You dont consider shaving off 10 games in 20 days a great feat???

Love that the Tigers and Twins play 13 more times this year, IMO it will come down to one of those two teams winning the division.

archiebunkerjr

Dec 11, 2008
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
The Tigers are who I think will take it. They don't need a farm system this year, look at their lineup.

I also wouldn't count the Twins out, 8.5 games back really isn't THAT much with half the season left to go. They're also historically a very good 2nd half team so I wouldn't be surprised to see them make a run.

I don't think the Sox have what it takes. They may stick around for awhile but I don't really see them overtaking both Detroit and Cleveland. And honestly I wouldn't be surprised if the Twins ended up passing them too by the end of the year.

The Indians have played well so far and have surprised just about everyone, but I think their pitching will come back to earth in the second half. The Tigers have some questions in their staff as well, but with Verlander seeming like almost an automatic win every 5th day plus Scherzer holding his own, and a lot of quality starts from Porcello (at least until lately), I think they still probably have the best staff in the division.

It's gonna be a fun race to follow and with no team standing too far ahead of the others, it may come down to the wire again this year.

I agree 110% with your comment that the Tigers don't need a farm system this year. Dirks and Wells are the backup outfielder and they are good enough to be playing everyday.

The infield is also set. The backups are more than capable.

My biggest concern with the Tigers is that Leyland's loyalty to his veteran players clouds his judgment. Magglio, Inge (and now they are talking about Carlos Guillen coming back in a week or so - another Leyland pet) have clearly seen better days. The Tigers flourished in May and early June when Magglio, Inge and Guillen were out of the lineup and now the Tigers have struggled lately. It doesn't take much to connect the dots.

Magglio has been a horrible defender for years now and he only gets worse with each passing day. The guy can simply not move. A tree stump can play RF better.

I could stomach Inge's .230 average when he was playing gold glove 3B. But the guy is hitting .200 and he is not playing gold glove 3B this year. Charlie the hotdog vendor could play third base better.

And Guillen is Magglio's match in poor defense. I really hope he doesn't make it back to the team.

The frustrating thing is the Tigers have much better players to play these positions yet Leyland keeps sending those geesers out there. Did anyone see that play Casper Wells made in leftfield last night? He made a long run to the stands (Magglio could not have run half that length), stole the foul ball from a fan and then threw a rocket to home to get out Rowand trying to score from third base. Those are the kind of plays you need to make to win games and the Tigers will never get that from Magglio. Magglio is nowhere near being the third or fourth best outfielder on the team yet he keeps getting the third slot in the lineup in front of Cabrera. Magglio just recently got his average over .200. How can any self respecting Tigers fan find this acceptable?

I have to stop. I'm getting all worked up over this. Just my opinion, the Central Division is the Tigers division to win or lose. I believe they have the horses to win the division. It's just a matter if Leyland puts the right horses on the field to win.

One last thing, I enjoy the fcb threads for the AL Central division series games. I don't think I have seen one yet this year but there are a lot of games to come. I look forward to bsing with you guys when the time comes

Bornagaincollector

Aug 7, 2008
Cleveland,Ohio
I like the baseball central talk.It will be fun to watch.I would like to see the Indians get that rh bat,that would help so much.Ryan Ludwick or Jeff Francoeur are 2 guys on there rader.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
archiebunkerjr said:
ALL_THE_HYPE said:

I agree 110% with your comment that the Tigers don't need a farm system this year. Dirks and Wells are the backup outfielder and they are good enough to be playing everyday.

The infield is also set. The backups are more than capable.

My biggest concern with the Tigers is that Leyland's loyalty to his veteran players clouds his judgment. Magglio, Inge (and now they are talking about Carlos Guillen coming back in a week or so - another Leyland pet) have clearly seen better days. The Tigers flourished in May and early June when Magglio, Inge and Guillen were out of the lineup and now the Tigers have struggled lately. It doesn't take much to connect the dots.

Magglio has been a horrible defender for years now and he only gets worse with each passing day. The guy can simply not move. A tree stump can play RF better.

I could stomach Inge's .230 average when he was playing gold glove 3B. But the guy is hitting .200 and he is not playing gold glove 3B this year. Charlie the hotdog vendor could play third base better.

And Guillen is Magglio's match in poor defense. I really hope he doesn't make it back to the team.

The frustrating thing is the Tigers have much better players to play these positions yet Leyland keeps sending those geesers out there. Did anyone see that play Casper Wells made in leftfield last night? He made a long run to the stands (Magglio could not have run half that length), stole the foul ball from a fan and then threw a rocket to home to get out Rowand trying to score from third base. Those are the kind of plays you need to make to win games and the Tigers will never get that from Magglio. Magglio is nowhere near being the third or fourth best outfielder on the team yet he keeps getting the third slot in the lineup in front of Cabrera. Magglio just recently got his average over .200. How can any self respecting Tigers fan find this acceptable?

I have to stop. I'm getting all worked up over this. Just my opinion, the Central Division is the Tigers division to win or lose. I believe they have the horses to win the division. It's just a matter if Leyland puts the right horses on the field to win.

One last thing, I enjoy the fcb threads for the AL Central division series games. I don't think I have seen one yet this year but there are a lot of games to come. I look forward to bsing with you guys when the time comes

Nice points, I agree with you about Leyland being a stubborn idiot.

Magglio needed to go after last season. I still can't believe they brought him back AND paid him 10 mill or whatever it was. He can't play defense whatsoever and his bat hasn't been gone for a couple years now. I'm tired of watching him swing through 89 mph fastballs right down the middle. He's supposed to be a force in the lineup but he is FAR from it.

Guillen is overrated and is best left on the bench to be a pinch hitter. That's all I'm going to say.

I'm still a big Inge fan even with his sub-par offense, but you're right that he has regressed on defense and that really hurts, considering that he has been a gold glove caliber 3B the last few years.

I like that Leyland mixes it up a lot, but I think sometimes he over-thinks the lineup sometimes, and other times he's way too forgiving for lack of production.

OhioBobcat3

Aug 7, 2008
Ohio
Bornagaincollector said:
Well the Indians and Twins have a big 4 games series coming up.I would be happy with a spilt 2-2!

I am NOT happy that both David Huff and Fausto Carmona could be pitching in the doubleheader on the 18th. Neither inspires a lot of confidence. Everyone seems to be happy with Huff's performance in AAA this year, but his ERA is still 3.86. It's been better than that in the past, then when he got the resulting call to the bigs he ended up getting shelled. Those last two spots in the rotation are really rough right now. I hope Jeanmar can nail down the 4th spot so that Talbot is never seen or heard from again.

Bornagaincollector

Aug 7, 2008
Cleveland,Ohio
I agree on Talbot.I've seen enough of him.This rotation needs a lefthander to shakes thinks up.David Huff might not be the answer.but 1 start shouldnt hurt.He might be trade bait for someone also.

Members online