Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

CY Young / MVP candidates nearing the All-Star Break

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alabamalongsnake

Feb 12, 2011
Alabammer
Cy Young AL - have to go with Verlander as a lock but in consideration would also be Jered Weaver, Josh Beckett and CC Sabathia

AL MVP - Three way race between Adrian Gonzalez, Jose Bautista and Miguel Cabrera

NL Cy Young - Jair Jurrjens would easily be the front runner after tonight's one hit shutout although Roy Halladay, Cole Hamels and Clayton Kershaw are having phenomenal starts

NL MVP - two way race between Jose Reyes and Matt Kemp.

I have no idea about Rookie of the Year although Freddie Freeman on the NL side should be in the mix.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
alabamalongsnake said:
Cy Young AL - have to go with Verlander as a lock but in consideration would also be Jered Weaver, Josh Beckett and CC Sabathia

AL MVP - Three way race between Adrian Gonzalez, Jose Bautista and Miguel Cabrera

NL Cy Young - Jair Jurrjens would easily be the front runner after tonight's one hit shutout although Roy Halladay, Cole Hamels and Clayton Kershaw are having phenomenal starts

NL MVP - two way race between Jose Reyes and Matt Kemp.

I have no idea about Rookie of the Year although Freddie Freeman on the NL side should be in the mix.
Three way race, REALLY? Gonzalez leads all MLB in hits, RBI, BA, and TB. It's not even close IMO.

EDIT: I guess he no longer leads in hits, but I think he is still 2nd.

AL Cy - Probably Verlander (though I would love for Weaver to win it)
NL MVP - Kemp
NL Cy - Halladay

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
alabamalongsnake said:
I agree but Bautista could throw up 50+ home runs which I think puts him in consideration. Maybe just a two way race.
With that train of thought he should have won last year...

He will probably finish top 5 or 3, but if the season ended today absolutely no way you could give it to him over Gonzalez. I may sound bias, so maybe some non-bias fan will have a say in the matter. :)

alabamalongsnake

Feb 12, 2011
Alabammer
don't get me wrong - I'd vote for Gonzalez right now. I'd say he's the clear favorite after more thought. But I think Bautista will serious consideration.

Y4NK335

Aug 7, 2008
TBD
Bautista has 25 Home Runs, tied with Mark Teixeira for the league lead.

Bautista is slugging .674, second closest is Kemp at .628.

Bautista's OBP is .473, second closest Miguel Cabrera at .453.

Gonzalez is slugging .593, OBP of .407, and 16 Home Runs.

Both are playing phenomenal but it is much closer than some may think.

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
one problem for Bautista, he plays in Canada and no one cares...if its even close then the guy from Boston will
get it.

The NL Cy Young will be from the Phillies.

Thanks
Kevin

alabamalongsnake

Feb 12, 2011
Alabammer
schmidtfan20 said:
one problem for Bautista, he plays in Canada and no one cares...if its even close then the guy from Boston will
get it.

Thanks
Kevin

Not so fast my friend. Jurrjens would be a lock if the season ends today. Phillies split votes. Jurrjens has less than a 2 era sport.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
Y4NK335 said:
Bautista has 25 Home Runs, tied with Mark Teixeira for the league lead.

Bautista is slugging .674, second closest is Kemp at .628.

Bautista's OBP is .473, second closest Miguel Cabrera at .453.

Gonzalez is slugging .593, OBP of .407, and 16 Home Runs.

Both are playing phenomenal but it is much closer than some may think.
Gonzalez RISP: .380/.448/.530 52 RBI (116 PA)
Gonzalez 2 outs RISP: .400/.481/.556 (52 PA)

Bautista RISP: .226/.510/.468 27 RBI (98 PA)
Bautista 2 outs RISP: .200/.556/.400 (36 PA)

Stats not including tonight..

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
alabamalongsnake said:
schmidtfan20 said:
get it.

Thanks
Kevin

Not so fast my friend. Jurrjens would be a lock if the season ends today. Phillies split votes. Jurrjens has less than a 2 era sport.

Strange. Jurrjens only has half as many Ks as Hamels/Lee/Halladay and gives up more baserunners. Something doesn't quite add up with his ERA.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
tpeichel said:
alabamalongsnake said:
schmidtfan20 said:
get it.

Thanks
Kevin

Strange. Jurrjens only has half as many Ks as Hamels/Lee/Halladay and gives up more baserunners. Something doesn't quite add up with his ERA.

it's called pitching to contact

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
alabamalongsnake said:
Is Prince even the MVP of Milwaukee?

I would think Fielder and Braun take votes from each other.

They might but I would say the edge goes to Fielder. All I know is the Mets and the Dodgers are both 10 games back and that usually doesn't translate well toward MVP votes

SamHell

Jun 12, 2010
Texas
Halladay's FIP-2.19 BABIP - .311
Jurrjens FIP - 3.26 BABIP - .279

Both have been good but one is due for a correction and it ain't Halladay.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
Either Gonzalez or Bautista would be a fine and deserving pick. To say it isn't close is insane bias. Three weeks ago Bautista was having one of the best seasons EVER. It's most definitely close.

Bautista currently leads MLB in WAR with 5.5. Gonzalez is 4th at 4.5.

thefasterblade

Aug 8, 2008
Too many Braves homers on here for them not to say Jair is going to win it.

No such thing as half-season MVP and Cy Young awards, so there is no point in arguing over who they are right now.

I think in the end it will be Cliff Lee and Justin Verlander. Jose Reyes and Mark Teixiera.

alabamalongsnake

Feb 12, 2011
Alabammer
thefasterblade said:
Too many Braves homers on here for them not to say Jair is going to win it.

No such thing as half-season MVP and Cy Young awards, so there is no point in arguing over who they are right now.

I think in the end it will be Cliff Lee and Justin Verlander. Jose Reyes and Mark Teixiera.

someone from phillies and verlander agreed. Reyes or Kemp - Fielder if the Brew Crew stays in contention and he stays hot.. Teixiera is having a good year but no chance he wins it. My guess is Adrian Gonzalez wins it going away or Bautista throws up some ridiculous HR number and pulls it off.

Members online

Latest posts