Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What is your opinion of show-stamped cards?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
Hello player collectors...

For years I have noticed all the show-stamped cards that Southpaw has on Beckett Marketplace. He says he went to these shows, and for every pack of Pacific he bought he got to have one card from the pack stamped.

As a player collector, do you covet these cards? Do you dismiss them? Does that fact that he has thousands of these cards make you suspicious?

This week I bought his 20 Rusty Greer cards. Since there had not been any interest in them in the years he had them on the site he gave me a massive discount, but he also said that just last month he sold $700 of Will Clarks in one order!

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
years ago I picked a bunch of them from Southpaw as part of a package deal. If I found some more down the road that were cheap I'd pick 'em up, but otherwise I don't much care about them.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
My player has none, luckily. If he did, I'd buy them if I came across them for a good price. I would not put them on my master list though

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
The only show stamped card I have ever cared about is the 1992 Stadium Club National Convention. Topps distributed them directly and they have always appeared on checklists. Luckily the only two major players included are Ozzie and Gwynn. I'll pick others up when and if they pop up but they don't do anything for me.

sc.jpg

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
I actually kind of like the show embossed Pacific cards. I have a handful I picked up when I was still in high school in the late '90s early '00s. I'd still pick them up for a buck, maybe two, a piece.

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
I guess it probably also depends on who you collect and where you're at in your collection. I still need plenty of Rusty cards and that's going to keep me occupied for awhile. But if I had almost every card of his, the show-stamped cards might be more appealing.

One of the football guys I collect, Robb Thomas, only has 41 recognized items per Beckett. So to find something new of his would be a real find.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I'm not willing to pay a premium for them, primarily due to the questionable scarcity of them and the chances of duplication. Recently, though, I've noticed that the Beckett checklist does include (for Olerud at least), those 2002 Chicago National cards from Donruss/Leaf/Studio. I don't know why but seeing them listed on Beckett adds a bit of legitimacy to them for me. I was able to pick up a couple /5's for $3-$5 apiece on eBay. I probably wouldn't have paid more than $5-$10 apiece though.

- Rod

henderson939

Dec 14, 2009
New Jersey
nosterbor said:
I take all i can find. love them!
juan_picture.jpgjuan_picture.jpg

Same here. I have 94 different Hendersons, with an almost complete run of Pacific shows.

Southpaw is correct about opening a pack at Pacifics booth, and having them emboss one card from the pack. All dies for embossing were destroyed after the show.

bigalbert

Aug 7, 2008
I love to collect anything Ripken. Here's an example of the same card with 15 different stamps on them.
scan0907.jpg
scan0906.jpg

jaderock

Jan 22, 2009
n1astrosfn said:
special olympics 1/1's anyone.

Now these were stupid and that comes from a player collector. That one Las Vegas guy just kept making them all day long for suckers like me. I stopped after 10 or so at $5-10 a peice back then.

---

To bigalbert...that is REALLY cool to get so many "variants" of one card! Awesome!

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
jaderock said:
Anyone remember ebay seller ufg?!? Don't know what happen to him.
yep - I purchased quite a bit of stuff from him back in the day. I'd forgoten all about that dude.

Members online