Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Jose Bautista sets all-star votes record!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
Baseball fans have rallied behind Jose Bautista in a big way -- sending the Toronto Blue Jay to the all-star game and the top of the American League lineup.

Bautista netted a record-breaking 7,454,753 fan votes for the honour, beating the previous record of just over 6,069,688 set by Ken Griffey Jr. in 1994.

I guess this just proves that even though he is playing in Canada, Baseball fans are taking notice of him.

I was truly shocked that he has broken a record that was held by the highly popular Ken Griffey Jr. Not only did he break Griffey Jr's record, he destroyed it by well over 1 million votes :shock: .

http://m.ctv.ca/topstories/20110703/jos ... 10703.html

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
One might say that Griffey's previous record is even more impressive given the current ease of online voting

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
Brewer Andy said:
One might say that Griffey's previous record is even more impressive given the current ease of online voting

That's true too and its ironic i was just thinking about this a few minutes ago as well.

How many people were voting on the internet back in 1994? I know i wasn't.

kdailey4315

Mar 4, 2009
I was completely 100% wrong about Bautista. I thought there was no way he would be able to duplicate last year. What he's doing is pretty astonishing.

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
Brewer Andy said:

Thats what I was thinking.

Griffey's votes were almost exclusively from the ballpark ballots which is Beyond amazing.(I mean...beyond beyond)

Congrats for Bautista though, he certainly more then deserves to be the top vote getter. Its refreshing to see that he is on his way to duplicating or increasing overall numbers from last year including close to 100 points higher in AVG.

I'll look it up, and I know there is still half the season to go, but when was the last time a player who was not suspected of steroids bombed 50+ HR 2 years in a row?

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
wolfmanalfredo said:
I'll look it up, and I know there is still half the season to go, but when was the last time a player who was not suspected of steroids bombed 50+ HR 2 years in a row?

I would imagine it would be Griffey Jr. as well.

nofrills

Nov 1, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I spent most of the weekend cheering on the Jays.
Picked this up yesterday. Probably my only chance since they aren't back in town until after the AS Game.
IMG_3298.jpg

IMG_3299.jpg

And I'm not sure how I managed to get this one, but believe it or not, this is the pitch he hit for a home run on July 1st.

IMG_3120.jpg

Casebusters

Aug 14, 2008
Viera, Florida
G $MONEY$ said:
Baseball fans have rallied behind Jose Bautista in a big way -- sending the Toronto Blue Jay to the all-star game and the top of the American League lineup.

Bautista netted a record-breaking 7,454,753 fan votes for the honour, beating the previous record of just over 6,069,688 set by Ken Griffey Jr. in 1994.

I guess this just proves that even though he is playing in Canada, Baseball fans are taking notice of him.

I was truly shocked that he has broken a record that was held by the highly popular Ken Griffey Jr. Not only did he break Griffey Jr's record, he destroyed it by well over 1 million votes :shock: .

http://m.ctv.ca/topstories/20110703/jos ... 10703.html
Well,
Not saying he doesn't deserve it, but Canada only has 1 team and if every baseball fan in Canada voted for him, then he should win

sebpoo

Aug 7, 2008
Montreal, P.Q.
Baseball isn't as popular in Canada than USA... and i'm even not sure the Blue Jays are the most popular team in Canada :?

I read here a few days ago that he has the misfortune of playing in Canada and makes it almost invisible in the eyes of collectors...

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
wolfmanalfredo said:
Brewer Andy said:

Griffey's votes were almost exclusively from the ballpark ballots which is Beyond amazing.(I mean...beyond beyond)

Congrats for Bautista though, he certainly more then deserves to be the top vote getter. Its refreshing to see that he is on his way to duplicating or increasing overall numbers from last year including close to 100 points higher in AVG.

just playing devil's advocate here, but he is suspected by quite a few people.

bigpapiMA32

Aug 7, 2008
Monterey, CA
Griffey's total is far more impressive. This year I voted for Bautista 25 times with the rest of my ballot, all from my couch. For Griffey I would have voted maybe twice, when I went to an MLB game and used the paper ballot.

Hallsgator

Aug 7, 2008
Charleston, SC
chashawk said:
wolfmanalfredo said:
Brewer Andy said:

just playing devil's advocate here, but he is suspected by quite a few people.
With absolutley no proof or evidence. He does have 15 passed drug tests the past 3 years though.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Hallsgator said:
With absolutley no proof or evidence. He does have 15 passed drug tests the past 3 years though.

They don't have a test for reindeer antler velvet yet.

I can't believe he was even voted onto the team, what a sham this years voting was. Tex didn't make it Russ Martin almost won but got beat at the last second. I thought for sure 6 of the 8 positions voted on would go to Yankees. At least Jeter made it, I was worried when he went down with the injury. He's only hitting .260 and hit 2 home runs. For a second I thought they might give it to somebody who's having an All Star type season, but no. Whew! Close one.

I'm going to start encouraging people to vote for ALL yankees next year. Maybe if all 8 positions are just automatically Yankees no matter how terrible the player is doing that year, they will change the way it's done. It seems to get more stupid every year.

Members online

No members online now.