Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Why is John Lackey still a starting pitcher....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CubsFan13

Jul 1, 2010
for one of the best teams in baseball?

Do they just throw him out there hoping the offense scores alot of runs that day?

coltsnsox07

Aug 19, 2008
He's our new DiceK, you never know what you'll get, sometimes he's pretty good. I can't believe I just typed that.

MallCopKJ

Aug 22, 2008
Im as upset as any Red Sox fan with the guy but apparently his wife is battling breast cancer, which began some time during spring training? I dont think his head and/or heart is into baseball so far this year. Just take some time off. It gets to the point where the guy wont throw anything but fastballs at 90-92 and he just gets hammered. Once it rains it pours too I mean, its like he forgets how to pitch once someone gets a single, then 5-7 hits in a row follow. He loses focus fast and starts blaming fielders for not jumping 15 feet in the air for a sinkling line drive.

AndruwHRJones

Aug 9, 2008
His huge contract is the reason. While most felt the Red Sox overpaid for him when they signed him, I think they would have been happy to overpay for stats similar to his last 2 seasons with the Angels. Hell, seeing how is pitching this year, I think the Red Sox would be just happy to see him duplicate last years stats through the end of his contract.

Like someone said already, his wife is battling cancer. I am sure that has at least something to do with his struggles.

KC37

Aug 7, 2008
Massachusetts
AndruwHRJones said:
His huge contract is the reason. While most felt the Red Sox overpaid for him when they signed him, I think they would have been happy to overpay for stats similar to his last 2 seasons with the Angels. Hell, seeing how is pitching this year, I think the Red Sox would be just happy to see him duplicate last years stats through the end of his contract.

Like someone said already, his wife is battling cancer. I am sure that has at least something to do with his struggles.

I'm still sticking with my theory that they offered the contract to drive up the price for someone else, but Lackey called their bluff and accepted it.

It makes me feel better.

Members online