Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Watching Your Hero Fall...Chuck Liddell: The retirement KO

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I am definately disappointed after seeing my MMA hero Chuck Liddell get knocked unconscious, badly, by Rashad Evans.

Rashad proved he is a badass, and might be the Chuck Liddell of our time, or even better.

He proved he could stand with the best pure stand up fighter UFC has ever seen, and knocked him the f*** out. I was legitimately wondering if he would be able to walk out of that cage- the first time I have ever really been worried about that.

That being said, It is time, IMO, for chuck to seriously consider calling it quits. It is obvious he isnt the old Chuck, and has lost 3 of his last 4 fights.

I know Chuck has immense pride for what he does, but, his age is starting to show, plus, his seemingly 1 dimensional style of fighting isnt holding up anymore.

Sure, you can defend 85% of takedowns, but, if you get knocked out, it doesnt matter.

To be honest, Chuck hasnt won a relevant fight since Feb 4th, of 2006 (I remember because thats my birthday lol) when he beat Randy Couture and defended the LHW Championship.

Randy is still fighting at 45 years old, but, he is also winning at 45 years old.

In my opinion, if Chuck cant pull off a win in his next bout (whenever/if-ever that might be) he needs to retire. It is painful to see a legend getting destroyed in each of his fights.

Open up a gym, do more book tours, open an mma gear company, sell your own Iceman shirts, etc.

(other than that, the PPV wasnt bad. Some very strong fights, and Nate and Rich showed they are still badass!!)

G

I like Chuck, but that was an awesome KO.

evans_liddell_ko_2.gif

2ai59j8.jpg

This is what did Chuck in.

ShadNip.gif

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY
It truly sucks watching Chuck get KO'd, but it sucks 100x more seeing that showboat deliver the KO.

Nothing about Rashad Evans shows class or respect. He showboats before, during, and after fights, with no real care for the integrity of the sport.

He wants to be the mayweather of MMA. Just a disgrace to me, and the look on Dana White's face during their "genuine" handshake showed exactly my feelings.

Not to mention, he also watched all the potential money from Griffin/Liddell go down the drain. I hope Griffin knocks he piss out of Evans.

peaceandlove

Aug 7, 2008
HPC said:
Rashad proved he is a badass, and might be the Chuck Liddell of our time, or even better.

i have to disagree bigtime with this statement. he landed one lucky clean shot. before that punch, he wasn't throwing anything. the guy has 8 UFC fights counting the Liddell fight. he has 1 draw, this KO, a KO against Sean Salmon who had moved up in weight (against Rashad who moves down), a KO against Jason Lambert (doormat for UFC), and then the kickers.....1 majority decision and 3 split decisions. until this Liddell fight, none of his wins were impressive. all 4 decisions were won by taking his opponent down and then laying on them for the entire round.....hardly worth comparisons to Liddell. Rashad caught him....plain and simple. If you are going to compare someone to Liddell then at least compare him to another striker. Evans will get his ass handed to him by Griffin, Rampage, Silva, and many others. fluke hits happen....just ask St. Pierre.

Aug 29, 2008
I really think its time to take Rashad seriously. After his stint on TUF I really didn't like him and thought he was pretty much a lay and pray guy. Its pretty obvious he has improved IMMENSELY since the show though. Just look at his last 5 fights. Jason Lambert is no chump and Rashad destroyed him pretty much. He then KO'd Salmon who is pretty much a nobody but it was an impressive KO none the less. Then a Draw against Tito, who is no longer elite but definitely top 15-20 in the weight class. He then handed Bisping the only loss of his career and then KO'd Chuck.

He might be the most explosive 205er and is arguably the best wrestler as well. His striking has improved a ton as he out struck Liddell in the 2nd round. I'm not ready to give him a title shot one more quality win and he is as deserving as anyone else.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Very true Levi.

Didnt think of it that way. Still, a 17-0 record is still pretty badass...to win 17 and not lose is very impressive.

I agree with NEC, I hate his showboating. he does try to act like FMjr.

I really dont like rashad at all to be honest, I thought the KO was impressive, other than that, hes never really seemed all that great. It would be funny to see Dana give Forrest a different opponent first, then let rashad fight the winner of that.

Forrest vs. Rich Franklin anyone? :D

Bornagaincollector

Aug 7, 2008
Cleveland,Ohio
What is Liddell's team thinking?????A few years back,he could get away with just standing and knocking people out.Not anymore,These fighters are more rounded.Chuck has a Wrestling,Kickboxing and BJJ skills and brackground in all 3.

I don't understand for 1 second why he doesn't mix it up more.

G

I like Chuck, don't really give a **** either way about Evans, but for the love of God can you people stop with the 'integrity of the sport' posts. Jesus Christ man. It's a sport where you punch each other in the face and try to rip their limbs off. If the majority of these guys had any integrity in the first place they'd not have a job where they attempted to beat the living **** out of someone else.

Quit whining that people show emotion and want to have a little fun with the fight. These guys train for months and if I was Evans and I had just knocked out the great Chuck Liddell like he was a sausage biscuit then I'd be pretty damn excited. These guys are fighters, their emotions take over.

What do you guys want this to be, like the NFL or College Football where you can't show any damn emotion whatsoever. Just fight, shake hands, say thank you for fighting me, I had a great time, we should do this again sometime? **** no!!!!! I want to see some ******* drama. I want to see some excitement!!! I want to see some **** happen that may start a rivalry. Dull personalities suck. I hate watching fights where the guys are just like 'ho hum...' after the fight. I want to see emotion.

Evans didn't do anything disrespectful after the fight. I am sure if Chuck won he's be walking around the octagon with his arms all spread eagle in the air screaming ****. Is that disrespectful? So what Evans did a fairy little dance. Chuck doesn't want him to do his little fairy dance, THEN KNOCK HIM OUT and he won't have the opportunity to do so!! Don't be an old ***** and get KO'd, and then you and your fans won't have to worry about your opponet after the fight.

We see this **** all the time, and I think that just because it was Chuck being made to look a fool that all his fans want to throw a fit about Evans. If Chuck had beat Evan then acted like a *******, his fans would be eating it up.

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY
There are so many flaws andf closeminded statements in your posts, it's laughable. I think the fact that you are an MMA fan, but fail to realize that the sport is more than just guys punching/kicking each other is the worst of it all.

They are gifted at what they do, just like any other pro athlete. The disciplines they practice have so much history, it's almost completely ignorant to say that the "integrity" posts need to stop. I suggest you go research the history of Brazil, Japan, and any other country with a fighting art form, and then think about your statements.

Rashad's little dance at the end of the fight was nothing in the scheme of things. He just looked stupid, but his showboat boxing skills are a disgrace to all fighting sports. His little shoulder shakes and dancing during a fight is plain stupid.

He is not Muhammad Ali. He is not Floyd Mayweather. He is not Roy Jones Jr. Rashad is just another fighter, with a record that doesn't truly dictate his level as a fighter. If anyone wants to say that Rashad is an eliete UFC fighter, then they are kidding themselves. He has 3 KO's in 18 fights, this fight included, yet he loves to stand up. He barely landed a single punch before his haymaker KO of Chuck, so to say he outskilled him is another joke.

Honestly, I can't wait to see Rashad try and stand up with Griffin. Forrest will outbox him and just make him look plain silly, and do it the respectfull way.

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
Kinda curious...has anyone read Chucks book? I was thinking about picking it up and was wondering if it was a good read?

I think the name of it is just "Iceman"

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY
MojoDan said:
Kinda curious...has anyone read Chucks book? I was thinking about picking it up and was wondering if it was a good read?

I think the name of it is just "Iceman"

Good book. I highly recommend it.

Although, I got it for free, since my GF's company published the book. :D

mazarazz

Aug 7, 2008
NECpilgrims8 said:
There are so many flaws andf closeminded statements in your posts, it's laughable. I think the fact that you are an MMA fan, but fail to realize that the sport is more than just guys punching/kicking each other is the worst of it all.

They are gifted at what they do, just like any other pro athlete. The disciplines they practice have so much history, it's almost completely ignorant to say that the "integrity" posts need to stop. I suggest you go research the history of Brazil, Japan, and any other country with a fighting art form, and then think about your statements.

Rashad's little dance at the end of the fight was nothing in the scheme of things. He just looked stupid, but his showboat boxing skills are a disgrace to all fighting sports. His little shoulder shakes and dancing during a fight is plain stupid.

He is not Muhammad Ali. He is not Floyd Mayweather. He is not Roy Jones Jr. Rashad is just another fighter, with a record that doesn't truly dictate his level as a fighter. If anyone wants to say that Rashad is an eliete UFC fighter, then they are kidding themselves. He has 3 KO's in 18 fights, this fight included, yet he loves to stand up. He barely landed a single punch before his haymaker KO of Chuck, so to say he outskilled him is another joke.

Honestly, I can't wait to see Rashad try and stand up with Griffin. Forrest will outbox him and just make him look plain silly, and do it the respectfull way.
The sherdog boards want their rhetoric back.

G

You shouldn't take it so serious. It's supposed to be fun.

What fun is it whining about people showing emotion?

peaceandlove

Aug 7, 2008
Sam Banks said:

isn't this statement a contradiction of your last? "It just annoys me how serious people take this stuff." if you find it annoying then obviously you take it too seriously as well.

as for showing emotion, no one is saying that isn't fine. what people have issues with is Rashad is constantly showboating....not showing emotion. it would have been ok if he would have jumped up and down, cried, pissed himself, whatever. doing a fake little show mocking how Chuck went down is uncalled for (especially on a fluke shot). personally the fighter i hate the most is Nate Diaz. i never liked his punk attitude on the ultimate fighter and i can't stand how he carries himself. it really topped off when he felt the need to flip off the camera's while he had an opponent in a gogoplata on live TV on Spike. he's a punk just like his brother and his attitude lead him out of the UFC just like it did his brother. i could care less how someone handles themselves in their pre-fight interviews but respect needs to be shown in the ring. one day, this disrespect is going to turn out really bad. someone will take offense to it and set out to hurt and end these guy's careers. it happens a lot on the smaller fighting circuits and it will show up soon in the UFC if this stuff continues. it won't be any different then pitchers throwing at batters or guys in the NFL going for guy's knees. thank god we have fighters like Amir, Rich Franklin, St. Pierre, hell....even Matt Hamill, etc. just my opinion.

G

peaceandlove said:
Sam Banks said:

isn't this statement a contradiction of your last? "It just annoys me how serious people take this stuff." if you find it annoying then obviously you take it too seriously as well.

as for showing emotion, no one is saying that isn't fine. what people have issues with is Rashad is constantly showboating....not showing emotion. it would have been ok if he would have jumped up and down, cried, pissed himself, whatever. doing a fake little show mocking how Chuck went down is uncalled for (especially on a fluke shot). personally the fighter i hate the most is Nate Diaz. i never liked his punk attitude on the ultimate fighter and i can't stand how he carries himself. it really topped off when he felt the need to flip off the camera's while he had an opponent in a gogoplata on live TV on Spike. he's a punk just like his brother and his attitude lead him out of the UFC just like it did his brother. i could care less how someone handles themselves in their pre-fight interviews but respect needs to be shown in the ring. one day, this disrespect is going to turn out really bad. someone will take offense to it and set out to hurt and end these guy's careers. it happens a lot on the smaller fighting circuits and it will show up soon in the UFC if this stuff continues. it won't be any different then pitchers throwing at batters or guys in the NFL going for guy's knees. thank god we have fighters like Amir, Rich Franklin, St. Pierre, hell....even Matt Hamill, etc. just my opinion.

Good. Man, good. I hope there are fighters that take offense and something vicious happens. I don't watch this **** because I want to see how perfectly an arm bar can be executed, or how honed someone's BJJ skills are. I watch it because I want to see something exciting happen. Sure Rashad is a dick. But until he's shut up by someone, he's a dick that's winning. I love how you say it's a 'fluke shot.' So if Chuck would have landed first and Evans went down like a pancake, would Chucks shot have been a fluke? No. All I would be hearing is about how bad ass Chuck is, and how people were glad to see Rashad get what he deserved.

Boo ******* hoo guys. Your fighter got knocked the **** out, and you want to mouth the guy who did it. GOOD FOR YOU! Seriously. That's one one of the things that is great about MMA. You have people to love. And you have people to hate.

Why sit and bitch about someone 'disrespecting' blah blah ****** blah.

It's all part of the sport. Shownboating is part of the sport whether you like it or not. Tito did it. Chuck's done it. Almost every fighter's done it. So freaking what!?!?!

God, please get the sand out of your vaginas.

Members online

Latest posts