Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Pittsburg WINS National League Central

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bowmanchromeandorr

May 23, 2010
Race City USA
if anyone could do it clint hurdle could lead them to the promised land.

i would like it. i'm not a pirates fan per se, but getting new blood in the playoffs after a 20 year lay off would be good. the curse of Barry Lamar Bonds would be lifted...

seitas

Aug 7, 2008
bowmanchromeandorr said:
if anyone could do it clint hurdle could lead them to the promised land.

i would like it. i'm not a pirates fan per se, but getting new blood in the playoffs after a 20 year lay off would be good. the curse of Barry Lamar Bonds would be lifted...

Clint Hurdle is a ***** and has managed exactly one team in his career that has finished a season above .500. His players will grow to hate him like all of the others have. He has such a chip on his shoulder for never panning out himself and he is resentful towards his stars...at least he was in Colorado.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
I told a couple guys in my town, at the end of spring training, to watch the Pirates. Hurdle, solid pitching and young promising hitters would make them more of a contender than they have been the last decade. Glad they're doing well. Hope it continues and they don't fall off a cliff.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
55_marlins_sp said:
I told a couple guys in my town, at the end of spring training, to watch the Pirates. Hurdle, solid pitching and young promising hitters would make them more of a contender than they have been the last decade. Glad they're doing well. Hope it continues and they don't fall off a cliff.
I have this as my Central for the year 2011 just the start of the season

Reds first place Just because they have most of the same time and they looked great last season.
Cards Second Place Do to some key injuries and he pitching will not hold up late
Pirates Third Place....and everyone one said I was nuts. Young club and the pitching will surprise most.
Brewers fourth do to a ton of injuries as well as not a great pitching staff
Cubs Fifth since Quade is new and the cubs over spent money on Pena they still have a suspect 3rd base men and the pitching will be wreck by years end.
Astros just plain suck :lol:
Well they are not in this order but the Pirates are near the top though :D

Buck15_24

Jun 11, 2011
I'm not sure if they can pull it off just yet...but I'm really hoping that they do!! I would love to see them take the division.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Growing up in PHL, I used to hate the Pirates. Since the realignment and growing up a tiny bit, and seeing them suck for so long, I think that headline would be a welcome sight this year.

Card Geeks Blog

Jun 2, 2011
I could see them contending but I don't think their pitching is quite enough at this point. Neither is their inconsistent offense. I just don't want to call Karstens, Correia, McDonald and Maholm in the same department as STL, MIL and Cincy's pitching.

rbrownaz

Jun 2, 2009
i feel they're one or two key pieces away, but before the season, i would have said they're about five starting position players and three starting pitchers away from contending, so you never know. i'd love to see it.

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
Biggest issue is in the second half we will be pushing 4 out of 5 of our starters way past their last seasons or in most cases highest career innings pitched.

I am not worried about Corriea as he has had some high innings pitched seasons but Morton (already suffered tired arm in the first half), MacDonald and Karstens are going into unknown territory.

Good thing is we have some good guys in AAA in Lincoln, Olson and Ohlendorf is coming back as well. Burress is also an option to eat up some innings.

We have some good young players helping keep the team afloat in Presley and D'arnough. Matt Hague is having a good season in AAA as well and could be up sometime this year.

Also getting Alvarez back and healthy is a big plus and Doumit was swinging a good bat when healthy this season.

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
hiroler said:
I feel like we have this discussion every year before the all-star break. :benson:

Probably not since the Pirates havent been this far above .500 or this near 1st place this late in the season since 1992.

fkw

May 28, 2010
Kea'au, HI
Last time the city was named "Pittsburg" they did, and they won the World Series too! :)

The 1909 Pittsburg Pirates won the National League pennant with a record of 110-42, then beat Detroit and Cobb in 7 games for the Series...

hail2thevictors

Jan 20, 2010
sheetskout said:
koal said:
not a chance in hell

This.

I don't agree with just totally throwing the possibility out.

Everyone wants to dismiss the Pirates, solely because they have been horrendous for a long time. At some point, they are going to get back on the right side of .500, and who knows, it could be this year. They are 2nd in the NL Central, over half way into the season. To dismiss this, just because, doesn't make that much sense. I would give the Cards, Reds, and Brewers a better shot, but I wouldn't be shocked to see the Pirates win it-it has happened plenty enough in the past 10-20 years. Your Brewers and my Tigers made similar turnarounds after many seasons below .500. It has to happen sometime.

Members online