Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Bowman Wieters?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jrtowles46

Jan 11, 2009
I am sure this has been answered before, but why did matt wieters never have an autograph, let alone a base card, in any bowman products. I know he is now under the Razor deal so it is too late, but why did Topps never make his card? I am curious, please let me know!
thanks,
ROB

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
jrtowles46 said:
I am sure this has been answered before, but why did matt wieters never have an autograph, let alone a base card, in any bowman products. I know he is now under the Razor deal so it is too late, but why did Topps never make his card? I am curious, please let me know!
thanks,
ROB

he wasn't always a top tier prospect

jrtowles46

Jan 11, 2009
but he had a good amount of hype coming out of the draft.

i had a feeling it had to do with his agent or something along those lines. what happened? did his agent ask for too much

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
jrtowles46 said:

i had a feeling it had to do with his agent or something along those lines. what happened? did his agent ask for too much

Yes, too much.

Expect his MLB Rookie Card in 2010

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
ThoseBackPages said:
jrtowles46 said:

Yes, too much.

Expect his MLB Rookie Card in 2010

Unsigned and in Upper Deck too....

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
He signed a 3-year deal with Razor last year, so it'll be 2011 at the earliest before Topps and UD can make a card of him, unsigned or otherewise.

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
carlitoson said:
beefycheddar said:
Unsigned and in Upper Deck too....

But licensed. :)

That part just isn't as important to me as some others, and should be interesting to see how big it is down the road. We now live in a world where Topps and Upper Deck have no license in one of the biggest sports in the world, should be interesting to watch this develop.

I personally just wish Donruss had done an unautographed version of Wieters RC in mirror foil, but they didn't, and it has that sticker!

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Jaypers said:
He signed a 3-year deal with Razor last year, so it'll be 2011 at the earliest before Topps and UD can make a card of him, unsigned or otherewise.

He has a 3 year deal for autographs and memorabilia I believe, but I think Razor owns his image rights per the contract for one year after he makes his MLB 25 Man Roster Debut. Remember he was different than everyone else that they had a contract with. Anyone else for Razor if they make the 25 man can have a base Upper Deck card per their agreement with MLBPA, unless those players do not join the union. I don't see anyone bucking the union for Razor.

carlitoson

Aug 7, 2008
beefycheddar said:
That part just isn't as important to me as some others, and should be interesting to see how big it is down the road. We now live in a world where Topps and Upper Deck have no license in one of the biggest sports in the world, should be interesting to watch this develop.

I personally just wish Donruss had done an unautographed version of Wieters RC in mirror foil, but they didn't, and it has that sticker!

I agree that every collector must "collect what they like". For me, I drew the line at the licensing aspect. As it is nowadays, everybody and their brother seems to be making unlicensed baseball cards and blurring the lines with what a "first-year" card is. To cut through the clutter, I'm sticking to the major-league license. That's my decision (and yes, I gave it much thought) and I'm quite content with it. I don't care if that means a 2011 or 2012 Weiters FY card. That'll be the one I want (assuming he makes the bigs).

I certainly don't blame the companies for producing all of the unlicensed stuff either...people are buying it.

Mudcatsfan

Aug 7, 2008
One of the arguments to not like USA auto cards was that they would soon be surpassed by chrome autos of the same player in their MLB uniform. Considering guys like Wieters and Alvarez won't have any chrome any time soon, you have to wonder if perhaps their FIRST autos from Upper Deck might finally get some well deserved respect. :)

USA.jpg

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Mudcatsfan said:
One of the arguments to not like USA auto cards was that they would soon be surpassed by chrome autos of the same player in their MLB uniform. Considering guys like Wieters and Alvarez won't have any chrome any time soon, you have to wonder if perhaps their FIRST autos from Upper Deck might finally get some well deserved respect. :)

USA.jpg

I agree with you John, especially with the oncard USA stuff

rico08

Aug 7, 2008
Los Angeles
carlitoson said:
I certainly don't blame the companies for producing all of the unlicensed stuff either...people are buying it.

You blame the MLB and the fact that they wanted only two companies producing licensed baseball cards. What little good that did..

Russ S.

Aug 10, 2008
VA / DC / MD
Mudcatsfan said:

USA.jpg
Oh so sexy mudcats.... ;)
I like your style!!

I've been noticing the resurgence of Pedro's USA prices. I like it! :)

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
My distributor, who is "in the know" on many things, told me that Topps and Wieters had been in negotiations, but Topps ultimately pissed Wieters and his agent off so much that they ended up signing for LESS money with Razor. From what I was told, Wieters was so pissed that he might not EVER sign for Topps.

d

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
leatherman said:
My distributor, who is "in the know" on many things, told me that Topps and Wieters had been in negotiations, but Topps ultimately pissed Wieters and his agent off so much that they ended up signing for LESS money with Razor. From what I was told, Wieters was so pissed that he might not EVER sign for Topps.

d

Sounds like Alex Rodriguez back in the day

Members online

Latest posts