Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Real gold in the HR derby balls

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A_Pharis

Very cool. That MSRP seems about right. You'd be surprised at how pliable gold is. The amount used to "infuse" (leaf) that panel of the ball is probably smaller then the size of a pea. I believe the old Ripley's museum in New Orleans had a room that was "wallpapered" with gold leaf made from a chunk of gold the size of a penny.

WoundedDuck

Aug 23, 2008
SamHell said:
I bet it gets ugly in the stands. People already try to kill each other over the regular balls.

just more incentive to watch it this year :D

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
SamHell said:
I bet it gets ugly in the stands. People already try to kill each other over the regular balls.
This. Not a good Idea. Im going to feel sorry for any kids that might be around if a ball gets hit their way.

WoundedDuck

Aug 23, 2008
I'm sure it will be mentioned lots of times everytime these gold balls get thrown out on the last out. I'm sure the cameras will be watching for these scrums like a hawk as well. It does sound like fun to watch, but I hope no one gets hurt.

WoundedDuck

Aug 23, 2008
With the tragedy last night in Texas, I'm now wondering if this is a good idea anymore?

PujolsCollector

Jan 17, 2011
St.Louis
WoundedDuck said:
With the tragedy last night in Texas, I'm now wondering if this is a good idea anymore?
NOT this. Balls get thrown in the stands all the time. He lost his balance and went over, it can happen but it is rare this is just the year where its happened twice. There should be no change in what happens becuase one fan had extremely bad luck. I feel for his family and definently his son who watched his father fall that eventually lead to his passing.

SeattleSports

Jun 11, 2010
In 2001 I caught a ball in the home run derby at Safeco. I also witnessed a guy about 18 try and catch a Sammy Sosa home run by sticking his hat straight out in front of him. Ball hit the hat so hard that it hit him in the face and I saw his face / cheek / eye / nose cave in and shatter.

cmnkb8

Nov 17, 2009
The Armpit of America: NEW JERSEY!
frzg said:
In 2001 I caught a ball in the home run derby at Safeco. I also witnessed a guy about 18 try and catch a Sammy Sosa home run by sticking his hat straight out in front of him. Ball hit the hat so hard that it hit him in the face and I saw his face / cheek / eye / nose cave in and shatter.

He should have brought a glove.

Members online