Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Will Clark collectors - why did this go so high?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ronfromfresno

Aug 7, 2008
Fresno, CA
From what I understand there is a chance that this card may not have been released. Most Clark colletors don't have a copy in their collection and it looks like our own Nolan (Clarkfan) won the card. Maybe he can shed a little more light on the reason for the card going high.

dietdew

Apr 29, 2010
From Beckett.com:

Randomly inserted into 2001 Donruss packs, this 20-card insert features reprints of past "Diamond King" cards. Card backs carry a "DKR" prefix. Print runs are listed in our checklist. An exchange card with a redemption deadline of May 1st, 2003 was seeded into packs for Will Clark.

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
I thought I got a pretty good deal on it too :) Like always, I could care less what Beckett says it worth. I probably have a better sense on its rarity than they do.

There is definitely not 1,988 of them out there, although there may be a vault of them somewhere hidden away by Donruss. Like said above, it was an exchange and I can tell you from searching for Clark cards on ebay forever, that not many were exchanged. It was DEFINITELY released though, just not exchanged in the numbers Donruss planned on. Maybe the idea of sending in an exchange card for a simple parallel of 1,988 without any autograph, jersey, diamond, whatever, didn't appeal to most people who pulled it. I have no idea why Donruss would create an exchange card for something that didn't have an autograph or jersey piece to it and then serial number to 1988, which is far from rare, but they did. I could almost see the point of an exchange card if the card was actually supposed to be rare. I'd actually like the expired exchange card too which I passed on early on into the card's release. So, it's definitely released legitimately, just wasn't something that saw a lot of appeal in the early stages of the card's release.

This is 2nd one I have, but I know it's extremely tough to find and I honestly expected to either pay more or have a fellow Clark collector out bid me or even set collectors that would obviously still need it. I've probably seen 10 or less since release. I even picked one up with a buy it now in 2003 sometime and resold it for about $100 back then, but it's been years since I've seen another one, so I decided to go after this one. One of those things that in my own worthless opinion is worth way more than Beckett claims it to be, so I considered it a "steal" . . . .. oh and you guys were all right, Clark fans are nuts most of the time :)

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
clarkfan said:
I thought I got a pretty good deal on it too :) Like always, I could care less what Beckett says it worth. I probably have a better sense on its rarity than they do.

There is definitely not 1,988 of them out there, although there may be a vault of them somewhere hidden away by Donruss. Like said above, it was an exchange and I can tell you from searching for Clark cards on ebay forever, that not many were exchanged. It was DEFINITELY released though, just not exchanged in the numbers Donruss planned on. Maybe the idea of sending in an exchange card for a simple parallel of 1,988 without any autograph, jersey, diamond, whatever, didn't appeal to most people who pulled it. I have no idea why Donruss would create an exchange card for something that didn't have an autograph or jersey piece to it and then serial number to 1988, which is far from rare, but they did. I could almost see the point of an exchange card if the card was actually supposed to be rare. I'd actually like the expired exchange card too which I passed on early on into the card's release. So, it's definitely released legitimately, just wasn't something that saw a lot of appeal in the early stages of the card's release.

This is 2nd one I have, but I know it's extremely tough to find and I honestly expected to either pay more or have a fellow Clark collector out bid me or even set collectors that would obviously still need it. I've probably seen 10 or less since release. I even picked one up with a buy it now in 2003 sometime and resold it for about $100 back then, but it's been years since I've seen another one, so I decided to go after this one. One of those things that in my own worthless opinion is worth way more than Beckett claims it to be, so I considered it a "steal" . . . .. oh and you guys were all right, Clark fans are nuts most of the time :)

Cool info. Congrats on landing that one!

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
lol . . . that's pretty much exactly what that money went to . . . guess I better start looking for Iron Maiden T-Shirts

Members online

Latest posts