Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Pulled A Diamond Topps Mickey Mantle ring: what now?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

austintexas1

Aug 8, 2008
First off, I fully realize this post is going to result in accusations of auction spamming. I’m a longtime FCB lurker and offer my apologies in advance. But I don’t know anywhere else with as many qualified people to pose my question to.

I beat some wild odds and dug up the Mickey Mantle Diamond Topps ring last night. My cursory research here and through the magic of Googling suggest it’s mighty valuable, but incredibly difficult to unload…and maybe even fraught with danger.

My questions:

a) Ebay has one completed auction that closed for $449. Apparently an earlier auction was pulled prematurely (side deal?). And a few others have reportedly been pulled by eBay w/ this notice “"Due to potential violations of copyright and/or trademark laws, we do not allow the sale of online game characters or gaming accounts. This also includes selling virtual items from such games or offering it as a bonus or free item."”
b) Is a high buy-it-now, in hopes that someone buys it before the auction is shut down, a viable alternative to letting the auction run? Or am I leaving money on the table?
c) Even if I found an eBay buyer and set it up so they traded any other ring for mine, how would I be able to prove the ring trade actually happened? Aren’t I setting myself up for a dispute?
d) I have no interest in getting the rest of the easy ones and selling the ring later, but can anyone imagine a possibility where the actual ring (which Topps says is worth just $200) ends up being worth more than the virtual Mantle ring is today?

The whole thing is kind of ridiculous. I’d much rather be dealing with a physical card #’s to 60 than a virtual ring, but such is life. Heck, I’d prefer dealing with a redemption. But this is what it is.

Anybody got any advice? Your input is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

bigalbert

Aug 7, 2008
I had dug one up earlier and advertised it on all the message boards and got it sold without ebay. Thats what I'd do first.

Members online

Latest posts