Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Unpopular player collections...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

maxpower

Jan 6, 2010
Who here collects an unpopular player? I'm not talking about a player with limited/regional popularity... I mean someone who's actively disliked. Guys like:

-Barry Bonds
-Clemens
-Palmeiro
-Canseco
-Sosa

I've been building on an accidental Sheffield collection and am amazed at how cheaply I've been able to buy some tough/nice pieces.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
I collect a player who many seem to dislike...it's either love or hate with Frank Thomas for a lot of people I guess.

I've got some tough Sheffields for trade if you've got any interesting Thomas stuff available.

mburgin

Aug 11, 2008
maxpower said:
Who here collects an unpopular player? I'm not talking about a player with limited/regional popularity... I mean someone who's actively disliked. Guys like:

-Barry Bonds
-Clemens
-Palmeiro
-Canseco
-Sosa

I've been building on an accidental Sheffield collection and am amazed at how cheaply I've been able to buy some tough/nice pieces.

i have a rather nice Sheffield collection myself with a few 1/1 bat barrels and some very low numbered autos and patches. don't really like him but it started when he was a Brave and i collected Brave's players pretty heavily a few years back.

i also have some really nice and low numbered Clemens autos and game used as well. despite what accusations are made, he is still one of baseballs premier all time pitchers in my mind.

barry bonds is the home run king rather people like it or not. there won't be an * in the record book but people will still remember what he was accused of doing as well. i have a couple of his nicer autographs although i can't stand him as a person or a player. like it or not, he will hold the record until some one passes him.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
I collect Vince Young.

Titans fans hate him.
Sooners fans hate him.
Aggie fans hate him.
Most NFL fans hate him.

And reading various blogs, no one wants him to sign with their team

maxpower

Jan 6, 2010
BunchOBull said:
I collect a player who many seem to dislike...it's either love or hate with Frank Thomas for a lot of people I guess.

I've got some tough Sheffields for trade if you've got any interesting Thomas stuff available.

I wouldn't really consider Thomas to be unpopular. I mean every player has detractors, but Thomas' fans seem to far outweigh those who dislike him. Also, his card values don't seem depressed (like many of the truly despised players). I'll look through the collection for Big Hurt stuff and get in touch about any potential trades. Thanks!

maxpower

Jan 6, 2010
Sounds like a sweet collection. Have you been buying recently and if so, have you noticed prices to be relatively low on his stuff?

maxpower

Jan 6, 2010
JoshHamilton said:
I collect Vince Young.

Titans fans hate him.
Sooners fans hate him.
Aggie fans hate him.
Most NFL fans hate him.

And reading various blogs, no one wants him to sign with their team

Yes, VY is exactly the type of player I'm thinking of.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
Glen Perkins to some extent, although it seems his attitude is working towards a 180 spin and Twins fans are starting to like him... He is third on the team for saves and may possibly lead the team with saves... possibly.

egon8

Aug 7, 2008
As a White Sox fan, my current favorite is AJ Pierzynski. No one likes him away from the South Side.
I have almost 150 different cards of his.
Definitely an "unliked" player.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
I have well over 500 Rafael Palmeiro cards. I don't know if he's actively hated like Bonds or Clemens, I've found he still holds decent value (unlike a guy like Clemens who is worthless in my area). Back in the 90's, his stuff was usually easy to get cheaply, so not much has changed there.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
I was thinking about a Nyjer Morgan collection. I love everything about him that seemed to make people hate him. Firey!

maxpower

Jan 6, 2010
hive17 said:
I was thinking about a Nyjer Morgan collection. I love everything about him that seemed to make people hate him. Firey!

I was thinking about collecting him too! I enjoy his enthusiasm.

Do people actually hate him? I feel like there are a lot of people who think he's a weirdo, but I've never heard someone profess an active dislike...

Members online