Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

POLL: Give it back or sell it, jeter ball

do you give the ball back to Jeter?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boomo

Sep 14, 2008
pretty simple, 3 choices.
reasons for your choice if you"d like.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
strictly speaking from a baseball player, i know i would want the ball returned to me without much hassle. i would have no problems forking over anything autographed, as much as that person would like.

heck, id take his/her family out to dinner as well.

so with that said, if i ever caught a milestone ball, id returned it without any demands. unless it was bonds HR of course, then id blow it up.

EDIT TO ADD: what the yankees did for that fan was amazing. great gesture and that would be more than plenty for me.

gr5

Apr 30, 2011
I'd sell it, bottom line. Everyone needs money and catching that ball is like hitting the lotto....

Zymco

Nov 14, 2008
Bellflower, California
Honestly I can't believe the guy didn't ask for anything, pretty classy to be honest with you. I might have some serious anxiety If I were in his shoes yesterday. That is a TON of money (the ball was already going to be valued for a lot of money, but the way yesterday went for jeter I could've seen the ball exceeding expectations at an auction.)

BrewerSuperCollector

Aug 10, 2008
Without a doubt I'd sell it. Thats just too much money to pass up. Now, if we go back in time and I caught Jeter's first home run ball I'd give that back to him.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
no brainer, sell it! Give yourself some financial security for the next decade or two of not having as much pressure to make enough income to pay the rent (mortgage), car payment, stash away money for retirement, etc.

Definitely would give Jeets first crack at buying the ball at a cool quarter million or so since conservatively the ball would yield at least that much in-pocket take at auction.

Everything the Yankees offered (except for a metting with Jeets) can be bought so it's a big non-factor as to whether or not to sell the ball or give it back to Jeets.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
I would get that bad boy authenticated and make a little trip to the bank, to count my stack.

Of course I would hold it for a while and make the talk show circuit and then sell it and retire on a beach some place. :D

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
I'd give it back. It's just mepersonally, but I feel this "lotto" mentality when fans catch players' important milestones is crap. You didn't do anything special, and you aren't entitled to anything special. The Yankees are a class-act organization when it comes to this type of stuff, and I assume Jeter would be too.

Now, if the player was like Stan Ross in "Mr. 3000" than yeah, **** that guy, I'm getting mine. But Jeter has never been anything but resepectful to his fans and the game, so he deserves respect back.

What's crazy to think in all this is that a HR is the only way a fan is going to get involved with a 3000th hit (maybe a GR2B in some stadiums). It was pretty special. If you want to cash in, write a book.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
I'd sell it. No brainer.

And people, please stop saying you'd give it back to a player. It was never their property to begin with

bradical

Jun 21, 2009
JoshHamilton said:
I'd sell it. No brainer.

And people, please stop saying you'd give it back to a player. It was never their property to begin with

It was never your property to begin with, either.

I am not surprised by the poll, but there are a lot of money grubbers on here. For me, I go to a game to enjoy the game, not to try and cash-in. I would gladly hand the ball-over, no strings attached, knowing that I did my part in a players history.

colts1888

Aug 28, 2008
NY
id probably see what jeter's offer was before i went ahead and tried to sell it. If my offer was what the yankees did i would be more than happy

also what do you guys think has more value the bat(signed dated and inscirbed) or the ball(signed dated and inscibed)?

carlitoson

Aug 7, 2008
I'd offer DJ the ball in exchange for Minka (straight up). :) I wonder what he'd say...

Seriously though, I'd give him the ball no strings attached. I believe the best moments in life...the times when you feel great about yourself as a person can't be bought. Crazy thinking for many folks I'm sure.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
bradical said:
JoshHamilton said:
I'd sell it. No brainer.

I am not surprised by the poll, but there are a lot of money grubbers on here. For me, I go to a game to enjoy the game, not to try and cash-in. I would gladly hand the ball-over, no strings attached, knowing that I did my part in a players history.
IMO that's totally uncalled for. Not giving back hundreds of thousands of dollars that are rightfully yours so that a ballplayer who is worth hundreds of millions and is perfectly able to buy it himself if he so chooses IMO does not make someone a "money-grubber." If someone wants to really do something positive they can donate it to charity or something along those lines.

I was looking for the clip from I believe it was a Bronx Tale where the mobster says something like "do you think Mickey Mantle gives a damn about you?" I would love to say I would "do the right thing" and give it back. Then I would think about the finacial well being of my family. Who comes first? Your baseball idol, or your kids college education? If you wrote Jeter and told him you had a hard time paying for your kids school, do you think he would do the right thing???? If you won $250,000 in the scratch off lottery, would you donate it all to charity??

Tough questions....The guy did the classy thing and I am sure he will continue to be taken care of....

nyyankeesfan.13722

Aug 7, 2008
Thousands of dollars > Jeter's special day even specialer. If he wanted he could buy it but I don't have enough money to just give away something that valuable.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Topnotchsy said:
bradical said:
JoshHamilton said:
I'd sell it. No brainer.

IMO that's totally uncalled for. Not giving back hundreds of thousands of dollars that are rightfully yours so that a ballplayer who is worth hundreds of millions and is perfectly able to buy it himself if he so chooses IMO does not make someone a "money-grubber." If someone wants to really do something positive they can donate it to charity or something along those lines.

I don't think there's anything uncalled for here. The 'leaching off of/extorting others who can afford it mentality' and the 'lotto mentality' aren't things to be proud of when they're used as an excuse to avoid earning a living through good, honest work.

I think we'd all agree that if the guy was truly destitute, the Yankees would've found out and taken extra measures for a variety of reasons. Kudos for the guy for being a role model here.

On that note, I have a hard time thinking this ball is worth a quarter mil to begin with.

nyyankeesfan.13722

Aug 7, 2008
uniquebaseballcards said:
Topnotchsy said:
bradical said:
JoshHamilton said:
I'd sell it. No brainer.

I don't think there's anything uncalled for here. The 'leaching off of/extorting others who can afford it mentality' and the 'lotto mentality' aren't things to be proud of when they're used as an excuse to avoid earning a living through good, honest work.

I think we'd all agree that if the guy was truly destitute, the Yankees would've found out and taken extra measures for a variety of reasons. Kudos for the guy for being a role model here.

On that note, I have a hard time thinking this ball is worth a quarter mil to begin with.
Derek Jeter can't afford something that is worth less than a quarter mil?

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
nyyankeesfan.13722 said:
Derek Jeter can't afford something that is worth less than a quarter mil?

I've no clue what someone else can or can't afford or would/would not want to buy...but that's not what I wrote :?

Members online