Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

the Pirates have 3 All-Star representatives

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pghbuccos

Aug 7, 2008
PixBurgh
Joel Hanrahan, Andrew McCutchen and Kevin Correia will represent the Pirates in Arizona on Tuesday. the Bucs have 3 All-Stars for the 1st time since 1990 when Barry Bonds, Bobby Bonilla and Neal Heaton played in the game at Wrigley Field.

Joel Hanrahan was selected to represent the Pirates last week when the reserves were picked. MLB announced last night that Andrew McCutchen will replace Milwaukee's Ryan Braun on the ASG roster and it was announced earlier this afternoon that starting pitcher Kevin Correia will replace Philadelphia's Cole Hamels. Correia is the Bucs 1st starting RHP to be named to the ASG since Bob Walk in 1988.

Piratesfan1418

Aug 13, 2008
It has been a great year so far. I'm very impressed with how this team has battled through injuries and subpar performances from many of the hitters.

Brad

pghbuccos

Aug 7, 2008
PixBurgh
they wouldn't be were they are right now without the remarkable performances from the pitching rotation and the bullpen. McCutchen and Walker have been doing great all season and Alex Presley has been a wonderful addition so far. it definitely feels like the 1997 Freak Show with some of the no-name players playing well above their heads.

the next month and a half will be a HUGE test as they will face the Cardinals, Brewers, Braves, Phillies and Giants.

Piratesfan1418

Aug 13, 2008
I agree. The last 5 opponents have been against teams they should have beat. After the break they'll have to beat some teams they're not expected to.

B

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
pghbuccos said:
Joel Hanrahan, Andrew McCutchen and Kevin Correia will represent the Pirates in Arizona on Tuesday. the Bucs have 3 All-Stars for the 1st time since 1990 when Barry Bonds, Bobby Bonilla and Neal Heaton played in the game at Wrigley Field.

Joel Hanrahan was selected to represent the Pirates last week when the reserves were picked. MLB announced last night that Andrew McCutchen will replace Milwaukee's Ryan Braun on the ASG roster and it was announced earlier this afternoon that starting pitcher Kevin Correia will replace Philadelphia's Cole Hamels. Correia is the Bucs 1st starting RHP to be named to the ASG since Bob Walk in 1988.

Which begs the question: what the **** was wrong with voters in 1990 and '92 not voting Drabek in?

gmarutiak

Jul 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
hive17 said:
pghbuccos said:

Which begs the question: what the frack was wrong with voters in 1990 and '92 not voting Drabek in?

Voters don't have anything to do with deciding who the pitchers are.

On a slightly-related topic, Nike has recently come out with an Andrew McCutchen "Hair-itage" t-shirt. It's freakin' awesome!

pghbuccos

Aug 7, 2008
PixBurgh
gmarutiak said:
hive17 said:
pghbuccos said:

Which begs the question: what the frack was wrong with voters in 1990 and '92 not voting Drabek in?

even so I still don't understand how Drabek wasn't an All-Star in the early 90's.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
The fact that McCutchen had to be an injury replacement and wasn't even the FIRST injury replacement is disgraceful.

Here is the NL WAR LEADERS

Reyes: 5.2
McCutchen: 5.0
Matt Kemp: 4..5

That's a massive difference. Fielding in small sample sizes is notoriously bad, but only Tulowitzki's (9.3) posted a better number than Cutch (8.3)

He trails only Kemp, Braun, Fielder, Berkman, Votto, Reyes, and Victorino in wOBA and it's ridiculous that someone woudl take Beltran ahead of Cutch.

Ugh.

gmarutiak

Jul 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
pghbuccos said:
gmarutiak said:
hive17 said:
pghbuccos said:

even so I still don't understand how Drabek wasn't an All-Star in the early 90's.

OK, since it's kinda related, and it's really the only good trivia question I know the answer to (other than "What was the Skipper's real name on Gilligan's Island"), without looking it up, can anyone name the only man to win an MVP Award without EVER being an All-Star? I'm poor, so there will be no prizes.

gmarutiak

Jul 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
pghbuccos said:
gmarutiak said:
hive17 said:
pghbuccos said:

Just checked baseball-reference...in 1990 (NL CY Year), he went 9-4 in the first half, then 13-2 in the second half! I agree with you guys though, should've been an AS.

pghbuccos

Aug 7, 2008
PixBurgh
sadly I know the Skipper's real name is Jonas Grumby but I don't know the answer to the baseball question.

13-2 in the 2nd half for Drabek is ridiculous :eek:

bdj610

Aug 7, 2008
Des Plaines, IL
gmarutiak said:
OK, since it's kinda related, and it's really the only good trivia question I know the answer to (other than "What was the Skipper's real name on Gilligan's Island"), without looking it up, can anyone name the only man to win an MVP Award without EVER being an All-Star? I'm poor, so there will be no prizes.

I thought it was Jacob Grumbey...guess I was wrong there.

Didn't look it up...wasn't it Kirk Gibson who won an MVP yet was never an All-Star?

gmarutiak

Jul 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Sorry for the delay. Got sleepy. Yep, Jonas Grumby and Kirk Gibson. Like I said, IMHO, those are two very cool trivia questions (because it's about all the knowledge I can fit in my little brain).

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
Corriea stumbled I little in the last 4 games pitched and was pretty iffy as a AS this year but I will take it. I think Maholm has had a better year just no runs support.

If Morton didn't have tired arm he would have gone above them all. I hope he can regain his movement on his pitches in the second half.

McCutchen was a no brainer to me decision that got turned into a soap opera. Hurdle blasting the process and Bochey getting all butt hurt about it.

I think MLB may have finally stepped in and said lets get one of the best young players in game and quit being stupid about it.

Presley has been great but D'Arnough has been rough and I kinda wish Ronny comes back soon.

Second half who goes down when the injuried come back?

Pedro for Harrison
Ronny for Chase
Steve Pearce for ???
Ohlendorf for Tony Watson

gmarutiak

Jul 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
morgoth said:
Corriea stumbled I little in the last 4 games pitched and was pretty iffy as a AS this year but I will take it. I think Maholm has had a better year just no runs support.

If Morton didn't have tired arm he would have gone above them all. I hope he can regain his movement on his pitches in the second half.

McCutchen was a no brainer to me decision that got turned into a soap opera. Hurdle blasting the process and Bochey getting all butt hurt about it.

I think MLB may have finally stepped in and said lets get one of the best young players in game and quit being stupid about it.

Presley has been great but D'Arnough has been rough and I kinda wish Ronny comes back soon.

Second half who goes down when the injuried come back?

Pedro for Harrison
Ronny for Chase
Steve Pearce for ???
Ohlendorf for Tony Watson

Pedro is no longer injured. He's in AAA, and it seems like a little more than just a rehab stint. I think management is trying to send a message.

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
gmarutiak said:
Sorry for the delay. Got sleepy. Yep, Jonas Grumby and Kirk Gibson. Like I said, IMHO, those are two very cool trivia questions (because it's about all the knowledge I can fit in my little brain).

For some reason the 80s Tigers teams got looked over. Not sure why really. Another trivia is the 84 Tigers are the only team to win a WS without a HOFer on the team (of teams where everyone is already eligible).

Members online