Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

If I'm the Pirates GM, I'm trading for...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
A couple bats like Michael Cuddyer (can play RF or 1B) and Mike Aviles (UTIL IF), maybe a LH bat with some pop as well (Luke Scott?)

Their pitching seems to be fine and they could make a serious run at the Central, so why not be spenders this summer?

I don't see Cuddyer and Aviles costing them too much.

DRav87

Aug 11, 2008
Wisconsin
I guarantee the Pirates will not win the NL Central no matter who they trade for. With the Brewers more than likely trading Prince Fielder at the deadline, I can not see Doug Melvin letting him walk, it's the Cardinals division to lose.

hail2thevictors

Jan 20, 2010
Reds in 2009 said:
I guarantee the Pirates will not win the NL Central no matter who they trade for. With the Brewers more than likely trading Prince Fielder at the deadline, I can not see Doug Melvin letting him walk, it's the Cardinals division to lose.

With 70 or whatever many games left, I have to disagree.

You have Milwaukee and St. Louis tied atop the Central, Pittsburgh a game back, and the Reds 4 games back. The Reds are far from out of it, and they have more than enough pitching and hitting to win the division again. The Pirates, they just keep getting neglected because of the last 10+ years of losing. Dismissing the Pirates right now is ridiculous if you ask me-especially if they go out and make a few moves at the deadline.

This should be a fun division to watch-4 teams with a legit shot to win it.

pghbuccos

Aug 7, 2008
PixBurgh
Hunter Pence

if the Pirates hope to make any kind of run at the Central Division they will definitely need to add a bat.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
pghbuccos said:
Hunter Pence

if the Pirates hope to make any kind of run at the Central Division they will definitely need to add a bat.

I just dont see the Astros trading Pence. Maybe, if the price is right. But the Pirates would have to give up a whole lot more for Pence than Cuddyer.

I could even see a small package deal going to the Royals for Francoeur and Aviles.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
markakis8 said:
A couple bats like Michael Cuddyer (can play RF or 1B) and Mike Aviles (UTIL IF), maybe a LH bat with some pop as well (Luke Scott?)

Their pitching seems to be fine and they could make a serious run at the Central, so why not be spenders this summer?

Take a peek at the schedule in comparison to the division mate (ie StL). If they make it to the trade deadline in good shape sure go for it but my guess is they will be atleast 7 back by 31 July. I love the team and it is good for baseball and the NL but their July schedule is brutal, August starts well then the suck is back.

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
markakis8 said:

Why would the Twins trade Cuddyer when they are only 6.5 out in a weak division?
I dont understand why people are counting the Twins out of the Central race. ::facepalm::

DRav87

Aug 11, 2008
Wisconsin
hail2thevictors said:
Reds in 2009 said:

You have Milwaukee and St. Louis tied atop the Central, Pittsburgh a game back, and the Reds 4 games back. The Reds are far from out of it, and they have more than enough pitching and hitting to win the division again. The Pirates, they just keep getting neglected because of the last 10+ years of losing. Dismissing the Pirates right now is ridiculous if you ask me-especially if they go out and make a few moves at the deadline.

I like your thinking and hope the Reds start playing better after the break. However I still think the Cardinals are the team to beat in the Division, they are pretty tough. The Brewers do not impress me much especially without Prince Fielder who I still think will be traded at the deadline. I just can't see Doug Melvin letting him walk for nothing. I see him getting some team to unload for Prince. (See the Richie Sexson trade for an example.) I am just glad the division sucks so much as it lets the Reds be 2 games under .500 and still be in contention!

I still do stand by my original statement that the Pirates will not win the division.

pghbuccos

Aug 7, 2008
PixBurgh
markakis8 said:
pghbuccos said:
Hunter Pence

I just dont see the Astros trading Pence. Maybe, if the price is right. But the Pirates would have to give up a whole lot more for Pence than Cuddyer.

I could even see a small package deal going to the Royals for Francoeur and Aviles.

the Pirates have a lot of minor league talent to make a deal for Pence.

the question was "If I'm the Pirates GM, I'm trading for..." and that's who I would trade for.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
George_Calfas said:
markakis8 said:

Take a peek at the schedule in comparison to the division mate (ie StL). If they make it to the trade deadline in good shape sure go for it but my guess is they will be atleast 7 back by 31 July. I love the team and it is good for baseball and the NL but their July schedule is brutal, August starts well then the suck is back.

Tough schedule? Sure. But most of those games are against Central teams, whom they need to beat to win the division anyway.

I think the Pirates need to push for the playoffs here. It's been devastatingly too long since the franchise has been good and it would due some good for the franchise and fans to have something to root for.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Musial Collector said:
markakis8 said:

Why would the Twins trade Cuddyer when they are only 6.5 out in a weak division?
I dont understand why people are counting the Twins out of the Central race. ::facepalm::

Touch a nerve did I? :) I actually think Cuddyer could really help out the Pirates and would be a perfect fit for them.

Also, I didn't realize the Twins had recovered so well in recent weeks. I just marked them out of the race b/c they sucked so bad in April/May. Sorry for counting them out ;)

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Reds in 2009 said:
hail2thevictors said:
[quote="Reds in 2009":3r90g06u]I guarantee the Pirates will not win the NL Central no matter who they trade for. With the Brewers more than likely trading Prince Fielder at the deadline, I can not see Doug Melvin letting him walk, it's the Cardinals division to lose.

I like your thinking and hope the Reds start playing better after the break. However I still think the Cardinals are the team to beat in the Division, they are pretty tough. The Brewers do not impress me much especially without Prince Fielder who I still think will be traded at the deadline. I just can't see Doug Melvin letting him walk for nothing. I see him getting some team to unload for Prince. (See the Richie Sexson trade for an example.) I am just glad the division sucks so much as it lets the Reds be 2 games under .500 and still be in contention!

I still do stand by my original statement that the Pirates will not win the division.[/quote:3r90g06u]

I'm not putting my money on the Pirates either. I just think it would be great for a franchise that has sucked so long to actually play for something instead of on July 31st putting a sign up that says "CLEARANCE: 75% off ORIGINAL ASKING PRICE. P.S. WE LIKE JOURNEYMEN RELIEF PITCHERS"

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
They need more than those pieces. In the NL Central the Pirates are:
5th in Batting Average
6th in Runs
5th in Homeruns

Their strength is in their pitching staff.......until the before mentioned July/August schedule is played out.

Again, great story and a good team in the making.........not this year (even if they make trades).

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
George_Calfas said:
5th in Batting Average
6th in Runs
5th in Homeruns

Their strength is in their pitching staff.......until the before mentioned July/August schedule is played out.

Again, great story and a good team in the making.........not this year (even if they make trades).

I certainly think Cuddyer/Francoeur would be an upgrade over Matt Diaz or Lyle Overbay.

Aviles has struggled this year but has proven in the past he could hit and I think he would be an upgrade over Harrison/Wood at 3B.

I'm not saying these upgrades would push them to the top. But they are upgrades that could give them a nudge in an already impressive season and pack more of a punch. And it wouldn't cost them much.

Who knows, maybe they'll trade for Prince Fielder. :lol:

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
markakis8 said:
George_Calfas said:
5th in Batting Average
6th in Runs
5th in Homeruns

I certainly think Cuddyer/Francoeur would be an upgrade over Matt Diaz or Lyle Overbay.

Aviles has struggled this year but has proven in the past he could hit and I think he would be an upgrade over Harrison/Wood at 3B.

I'm not saying these upgrades would push them to the top. But they upgrades could give them a nudge in an already impressive season. And it wouldn't cost them much.

Who knows, maybe they'll trade for Prince Fielder. :lol:

If Prince were not already in the NL Central it "could" happen and be great long term.

pghbuccos

Aug 7, 2008
PixBurgh
George_Calfas said:
5th in Batting Average
6th in Runs
5th in Homeruns

you're too harsh for my liking sometimes George ;)

gmarutiak

Jul 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
I'm trading for nobody, and hoping that Alvarez, Tabata and Doumit hit when they come back. I put Tabata in LF, Presley in RF, and Jones at 1B. I release Overbay, because I'm not going to get anything for him.

And I can't imagine the Brewers can trade Prince, if they're at the top of the division. I think they're going to have to let him walk after the season. Do you think secretly, Melvin hopes they go on a huge losing streak, so that he can trade Prince?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts