Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

pathetic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J.O.

Aug 7, 2008
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/crime/ ... ?hpt=hp_t2

don't know if this was posted.

i played travel baseball since i was 12 all the way through varsity in high school. i think one time in all the games i played did both benches clear. no one fought, just some yelling until the umpires and coaches broke it up. At this age (15/16) it's the umpires, the players, and the coaches' responsibilities to take care of any fight that happens. (and there should be none at this level, ever)

for 3 parents to face criminal charges over their teenagers' baseball game... just pathetic

SamHell

Jun 12, 2010
Texas
I umpired Little and Pony league for a couple of years during college. I didn't make much money but I really enjoyed. I never had a single problem with a player and very few with the coaches. All of my troubles came from the parents. They would berate their own kids and threaten kids from opposing teams. Even had a parent follow me to my truck trying to start a fight. I hated to quit but the parents ruined the game for everybody.

ccouch (Chad)

Aug 8, 2008
I dread the day that my son starts playing organized sports, because I'm going to hate being around other parents inevitably acting like jackasses. It seems like the parents take this stuff so much more seriously than the kids do.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
I currently coach girls softball, and have done for about 6 years now. I used to coach girls basketball.

Not this year once has the parents been bad to have around, but last year and the year before we had one set of parents
that thought their kid was a super-star and deserved to play more then she did. This parent would stand behind the dugout '
and give the coaches grief if little Suzy was not in the game. They would yell at the umps too. Finally I went over to talk to them and they just laid into me with the most profanity I have heard in my adult life. We even called the cops to have them leave. There daughter just cried and cried as the cops took her parents away from the school and I felt sorry for their kid since she hated that her parents act the way they did.

Parents need to be seen and not heard ever at any sporting event, if your kid is that good then why the hell are the playing
at this level :lol:

BoyWonder089

Jul 14, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
I played soccer growing up, and when i was 16 or 17, we had a bench clearing fight. Parents also got into it, we had 5 cop cars show up and a dad went to jail. A fight between players I can understand to a certain extent, but for parents to get involved in a negative way is just plain stupid.

ebechols

Jan 20, 2011
Montgomery, AL
Some parents lack of class at youth sporting events is incredible. I coach a travel baseball team and it really is appalling how some parents and coaches get so worked up over a sporting event.

Exposfan

Mar 16, 2009
Hartland, WI
This is the first year my sons are playing coach pitch(advanced Tball-5-6 year old) 3 Pitches, if no hit, you swing off the tee. Its the first time we keep score, and you either bat around, or until you get 3 outs. Its still station to station baseball, but if you get outs more than big hits, you win.

So in the 3rd inning. with us having an insurmountable lead because we got 3 outs in the first inning,2 in the second, the other teams coach starts sending his baserunners home from second base. Then he is asking our head coach to play another full inning with only 5 mintes left in the time limit because they were still down 3 runs. I am not worried about the kids at all, my biggest reservation about becoming a head coach is dealing with the parents.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Hi! I'm ashamed to say Castle Rock is about 25 minutes up the interstate from me. :oops:

There was an incedent a while back (which I also found out about by reading FCB) where a coach got in trouble from something. I think it had to do with cup checks or something like that. It was in Monument, CO, about 15 minutes south of Castle Rock. Youth baseball around here is rough!

DaleMurphyCollector

Aug 7, 2008
Imagination Land
Exposfan said:
This is the first year my sons are playing coach pitch(advanced Tball-5-6 year old) 3 Pitches, if no hit, you swing off the tee. Its the first time we keep score, and you either bat around, or until you get 3 outs. Its still station to station baseball, but if you get outs more than big hits, you win.

I cannot understand where/why youth sports changed so much. I started playing t-ball at 4. We kept score. My team SUCKED. We'd LOSE routinely by scores of 45-2. That's how we knew we sucked and needed to improve. I went to PLAYER PITCHED a year early at 6 years old, where we also kept score. My team wasn't bad, but I SUCKED. I put ONE BALL IN PLAY ALL YEAR. That's how I knew I sucked and needed to get better. The next year, I figured it out and was good. I ended up playing college baseball. What is the harm in keeping score and not playing by traditional baseball rules (hit until 3 outs, etc.)??? At that stage in player development, it's more about learning the game and fundamentals. At least if a team is getting routed, you're getting all kinds of fielding practice.

studioclint

Aug 10, 2008
Chicago
Parents can be insane. When I was in high school I would umpire little league games. I had to give numerous parents the boot for being pricks. It was crazy. People would argue everything, even basic rules.

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
DaleMurphyCollector said:
Exposfan said:

I cannot understand where/why youth sports changed so much. I started playing t-ball at 4. We kept score. My team SUCKED. We'd LOSE routinely by scores of 45-2. That's how we knew we sucked and needed to improve. I went to PLAYER PITCHED a year early at 6 years old, where we also kept score. My team wasn't bad, but I SUCKED. I put ONE BALL IN PLAY ALL YEAR. That's how I knew I sucked and needed to get better. The next year, I figured it out and was good. I ended up playing college baseball. What is the harm in keeping score and not playing by traditional baseball rules (hit until 3 outs, etc.)??? At that stage in player development, it's more about learning the game and fundamentals. At least if a team is getting routed, you're getting all kinds of fielding practice.

My daughter who is 4 played in a league that was 4 to 7 years in age all together as its a small town. The league had a 6 run max per inning and a 10 run rule after 2 innings with a max innings of 5.

Our team was really bad with 2 autistic kids and about half the other kids 5 or younger and playing against teams with mostly 6 to 7 year olds.

The problem was they had no limit on hitters you could put in the lineup or players on the field. We had 3 games in a row in which my daughter didn't even get to bat due to being run ruled in the 2nd inning.

Then we finally played a team close and got to the 5th inning where they had a rule where they could keep batting until every player hit in the inning or you got three outs. Our team by that inning was tired and not paying any attention (also 100 degrees that day) Try keeping a 4 year olds attention for 2 hours just standing in the grass mostly.

They scored 20 runs that one inning, took 45 minutes, a 7 year old broke one of our kids noses with a line drive as he was playing near the pitcher and didn't get his glove up in time.

The score went from 12 to 6 to 32 to 6 and we only had 11 players on our team so we could never come back anyway after we were down 12. We tried to stop the game once we had to take the kid to the hospital but their coach threw a giant hissy fit.

I really wanted to punch him.

Members online

Latest posts