Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Easy Poll: All Star game still a big deal?

Is the All-Star game still a Big Deal?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Quick and Easy poll:

Is the MLB All-Star game still a big deal?

Personally, it just doesn't appeal much to me. Maybe 'cuz I'm older, maybe 'cuz it's usually low-scoring, maybe 'cuz of the tie a few years back. Maybe 'cuz of the extreme excessively media attention.

When I was a kid, to me at least and I think to most of America, is was a BIG DEAL. I remember vividly the Dave Parker hose in the Astrodome, the Fred Lynn Grand Slam, and even when my Dad's favorite, Terry Steinbach taking my favorite, Dwight Gooden, out in Cinncy, and others. Even the '99 game 3 days after my Son was born.

I'll have it on while I do other stuff, and will root openly for Upton to do well, but I won't be riveted I don't think.

And I really HATE the stupid home field advantage goes to the League Winner idea...

scooter2374

Jul 4, 2010
New Jersey
I think with the advent of the ability to watch any team at any time through cable/sat tv has changed the way I think about the game. Being a Yankee fan I only got to watch a teams players when the Yanks played them, but now I can follow any big league player ALL of the time. I think it takes away from the new or wow factor that the game had pre-cable/sat.

fengzhang

Aug 10, 2008
Chicago, IL
It'll be a big deal when the players treat it as a big deal. Nowadays, players take the time to "rest" or find other convenient excuses not to play. Being an all-star used to be a huge honor where, even if you couldn't play for some reason, you still showed up to the game.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
In the late 80's and early 90's, my friends and I would have a pizza party, watch the game, open a box of that year's Topps, and have a great time.

Wish the game still had that appeal to me. And I hate that the huge rosters really diminish the meaning of what it means to be an "All-Star".

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
You either like All-Star games or you dont.

Personally, and this was instilled at a pretty young age, I absolutely love the game. Every other all-star game isn't even a game. It in no way resembles the game that's played on the field.

Baseball though, baseball translates really well. It's a game that showcases the best players in the game, doing what they do in the regular season. Basketball and Hockey just showcase ...scoring. They're essentially the HR derby. Football's obviously the biggest joke of the bunch.

So yah, I like it because there's the least difference between regular season action and all star action. You're just paying to see the best players.

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008
It's a big deal because of the contrived Home field advantage nonsense.
As a fan of a team that legitimately has a chance to be in the WS, that is a big deal.

Everything else points to it not being a big deal.....so imo something has to change.
Either get rid of the home-field advantage, or find a way to keep it from becoming the Pro-Bowl.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
scooter2374 said:
I think with the advent of the ability to watch any team at any time through cable/sat tv has changed the way I think about the game. Being a Yankee fan I only got to watch a teams players when the Yanks played them, but now I can follow any big league player ALL of the time. I think it takes away from the new or wow factor that the game had pre-cable/sat.

This is it for me as well. As a kid, the only glimpses I had of the out of town stars were short clips on This Week In Baseball, and MAYBE a 5 second clip every other week on the local news. The AS Game was must watch

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
I have had the good fortune to attend three all star games in person and for those attending its pretty darn cool. For me it has certainly lost its luster. The players do not care about the game or even being an all star. When I heard Aramis Ramirez turned down the opportunity to go, and a huge number of other players did the same...well it turned me off to this game. These players are jaded by money and have lost the fire for the game. All stars are basically mostly picked by the fans and they should honor the fans by showing up for at least a few innings. We pay their salaries after all!

braden

Aug 7, 2008
A couple of friends and I would have a sleep-over for the ASG every year when we were kids.

Now, it wouldn't even occur to me to watch it. I look at these three days as a nice break from baseball. I won't even check to see who wins.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
fengzhang said:
It'll be a big deal when the players treat it as a big deal. Nowadays, players take the time to "rest" or find other convenient excuses not to play. Being an all-star used to be a huge honor where, even if you couldn't play for some reason, you still showed up to the game.

I couldn't agree more. Too many primadonnas these days. Recognize that its an honor, not an inconvenience, to be an all star.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
To me, it's Christmas. From 2002-2005/6 somewhere in there, we made a huge deal of it... we grilled out and watched the game as a family. It was bigger than the super bowl.

I missed the game 2 years ago because I was on a train somewhere in Montana-North Dakota. Ever since then, it really hasn't been that big. Last year's game just sucked. It was more of an advertising opportunity for FOX and Glee than it was a celebration of baseball. I still watch in hopes of seeing some good baseball but it lost it's luster to me.

Members online

Latest posts