Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Braves fans lets get a petition going..Haha

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ajbraves25

Aug 9, 2008
Springfield, IL
I want Hunter Pence in LF. We need a LF, right handed bat and another young guy. Pence addresses all of that. Just thought he would be an awesome fit for the Braves. Hopefully it is something that is being kicked around in Atl. Rather have him than Rasmus.

Thoughts?

~AJ

hockeyfights

Mar 4, 2011
Georgia
If you want Hunter Pence in LF, where do you want Prado? He'll be back next week. You want Prado back at 3rd? What happens to Chipper? He'll be back at the end of the month if everything goes smoothly with rehabbing the knee.

jgro85

Mar 15, 2010
Long Beach, CA
hockeyfights said:
If you want Hunter Pence in LF, where do you want Prado? He'll be back next week. You want Prado back at 3rd? What happens to Chipper? He'll be back at the end of the month if everything goes smoothly with rehabbing the knee.

Just put Pence in CF.

hockeyfights

Mar 4, 2011
Georgia
I dunno. I like having Schafer's glove in CF and him in the leadoff spot. He's the only real base stealing threat on the team. McClouth has a great glove, but hasn't hit since he's been here and is definitely not a leadoff hitter.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
hockeyfights said:

platoon until chipper retires

it's gonna happen

Anthony K.

Aug 7, 2008
Enterprise, Alabama
jgro85 said:
hockeyfights said:

Just put Pence in CF.

As a huge Astros fan and even bigger Pence fan, I'd advise against that. He has average defense at the corner (great arm though) and probably doesn't have the right speed to cover center.

My question is, who would you guys give up for him?

Obviously, as a biased Astros fan I'd like something built around Teheran (I do believe Pence has two or three more team years), although I know that probably wouldn't happen. Anyway Minor + Delgado or Vizcaino can be talked about? You guys happen to have any corner infielders with developing power (something we sure can use)?

ajbraves25

Aug 9, 2008
Springfield, IL
hockeyfights said:

Chipper is in his last season one would think. Prado can play 3rd for now then switch to SS.

Gilmore the main reasons I'd take Pence over Rasmus is his arm, right handed bat and ability to hit just about anything. I gave up on Rasmus in fantasy cause I just don't trust him. Surely don't want him in a Braves uni. He gives up way to easy in the outfield and his bat is suspect. Just compair the numbers and Pence is alot better.

Just a pipe dream I guess.

~AJ

craftysouthpaw

Jan 8, 2010
I'd rather have Rasmus as well. Plus, Pence aint' happening. Braves managment has proven it won't pay guys plus Houston is supposedly asking for the world while the Cards have lost leverage with Colby.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love Pence as well. Just would rather have Colby as he would cost less (in $ and trade) and is a better long term play.

And Felker, McLouth's defense in center is brutal. Schafer is average at best and unfortunetely, he can't steal 1st.

SeattleSports

Jun 11, 2010
Why would anyone prefer Rasmus??????

Rasmus .246, 9 HR, 36 RBI, .329 OBP
Pence .323, 11 HR, 60 RBI, .364 OBP

One of them leads the National league in assists over the past 2 years and that guy is not named Colby.

Jan 15, 2009
frzg said:
Why would anyone prefer Rasmus??????

Rasmus .246, 9 HR, 36 RBI, .329 OBP
Pence .323, 11 HR, 60 RBI, .364 OBP

One of them leads the National league in assists over the past 2 years and that guy is not named Colby.
His assists will go down, but that will be good since people won't run on his arm. Pence is easily the better choice here no matter the salary, look at what he is doing on the freaking Astros!

Hallsgator

Aug 7, 2008
Charleston, SC
I'd take either and Wren should give up whatever he needs too. The Braves have the pitching to do special things in the playoffs, just need one more impact bat.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
This isn't a fantasy draft, your decisions have consequences. By the way, it wasn't that long ago that pence put up an awful season and then an awful season before that (well not awful, but not all-star)

Rasmus on the other hand is 3 years younger than pence.

Hallsgator

Aug 7, 2008
Charleston, SC
pigskincardboard said:
This isn't a fantasy draft, your decisions have consequences. By the way, it wasn't that long ago that pence put up an awful season and then an awful season before that (well not awful, but not all-star)

The Braves' timeframe to win is now. They have the pitching now. I believe Rasmus will be a very good player, but Pence is all-star caliber right now and is a more proven commodity. And he is still young.

craftysouthpaw

Jan 8, 2010
Like I said, I'd love either. But I just think the Braves would have to overpay for Pence and then have to let him walk when he is a FA. Conceding Pence will be better ther rest of this year, I don't feel the incremental over Rasmus would be enough to justify the additinal pitching that would a deal would probably require.

Not to mention there is a non-zero chance Rasmus will outperform Pence the rest of 2011 considering hie was much better than Pence in 2010.

But flags fly forever and Pence could definitely make a difference.

tikitomoka

Jul 27, 2009
Well then. I was wrong in assuming this was gonna be a thread about banning strasburgmania from the fanbase.

Anthony K.

Aug 7, 2008
Enterprise, Alabama
pigskincardboard said:

I'm not sure where this awful season was or the non-All Star season before it, but Pence's worst season was his second year in the league and it wasn't really terrible, when you consider the team he plays for. He's hit 25 home runs three years in a row, never had less than 76 runs or 72 RBI in a full season and is a .292 career hitter.

Crazy as it is, last season was Pence's best full season to date and he wasn't an AS, but he was selected in '09.

Members online

Latest posts