Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Super AWESOME Vintage pick ups! TY COBB several LARGE scans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbrown

Nov 28, 2009
KY
Bought a nice little collection of vintage today. Some are in very nice shape and some a super rare!! Pretty stoked about the whole lot! I will be sending them all off for grading. I am not a member of PSA so I will probably end up sending them to SGC. What do you guys think?

Here is the haul:

1951 Bowman #148 Granny Hamner & #241 Irv Horen
1952 Bowman #231 Dee Fondy, #239 Dale Mitchell, #241 Mel Parnell, & #248 Bill Werle
IMG_0001.jpg
IMG_0002.jpg

1935 Diamond Stars #56 "Gus" Suhr, #57 "Cy" Blanton, & #61"Billie" Werber
IMG_0003.jpg
IMG_0004.jpg

1935 Diamond Stars #63"Stonewall" Jackson, #80 Louis Chiozza, & #84Sam Byrd
IMG_0005.jpg
IMG_0006.jpg

1935 Diamond Stars #89 Joe Stripp, #90 Ray Hayworth, & #92 Ethan Allen
IMG_0007.jpg
IMG_0012.jpg

t205 Polar Bear Back Harry Wolter & William Bergen
t2051.jpg
t2052.jpg

t206 Polar Bear Back Frank Smith
smith1.jpgsmith2.jpg

1909 E90-1 American Caramels Eddie Collins (one is mis-cut and is much larger than the other)
collins1.jpg
collins2.jpg

And now for the big dogs!!

t206 Polar Bear Back Ty Cobb Bat off shoulder
cobbbat1.jpgcobbbat2.jpg

t206 Tolstoi Back Ty Cobb Port Red
cobbport1.jpgcobbport2.jpg

And the biggest of the Big dogs!!

1910 E93 Standard Caramel Ty Cobb
cobbred1.jpgcobbred2.jpg

jbrown

Nov 28, 2009
KY
69MetsFan said:
Those are simply incredible! :eek:
Congrats on some great additions. :D

Thanks! I had no idea how rare and expensive the Cobb Caramel was until I did some research. Can't believe this thing is over 100 years old and is still in fairly decent shape. I hoping to get a 2.5-3 out of it.

69MetsFan

Oct 20, 2008
Panama City, Florida
jbrown said:
69MetsFan said:
Those are simply incredible! :eek:
Congrats on some great additions. :D

Thanks! I had no idea how rare and expensive the Cobb Caramel was until I did some research. Can't believe this thing is over 100 years old and is still in fairly decent shape. I hoping to get a 2.5-3 out of it.

Regardless of the grade, those definitely need to be slabbed to preserve them.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
HOLY SHHHHHHHH !!! :shock:

Words. Cannot. Begin. Too. Describe. The. Greatness. Of. These. Cards. :shock:

jbrown

Nov 28, 2009
KY
So I guess I am going with SGC. They are running a monthly special specificly for Diamond Stars and Bowman. They also have next day service turn around for $25 per card(for the Cobbs and Collins). Does anyone think this is a bad decision? I figure they are on par with PSA for the vintage stuff.

fkw

May 28, 2010
Kea'au, HI
Nice cards.

None of them are rare though :)

The scarcest would be the two E92-2 Croft Candy Eddie Collins cards (You misidentified them as E90-1 American Caramel)

Just so you know the card on the left had the bottom border trimmed significantly (most likely done back in the 1910 Era to match the T206 cards).
PS. If the trim job was sharp, it would be from the 1970s to fit in the early tobacco card pages that were ever so slightly too small for the E cards.

The Collins on the right is full size and worth 3-4X more than the trimmed Collins

The next scarcest and best card of the bunch would be the E93 Cobb

jbrown

Nov 28, 2009
KY
fkw said:
Nice cards.

None of them are rare though :)

The scarcest would be the two E92-2 Croft Candy Eddie Collins cards (You misidentified them as E90-1 American Caramel)

Just so you know the card on the left had the bottom border trimmed significantly (most likely done back in the 1910 Era to match the T206 cards).
PS. If the trim job was sharp, it would be from the 1970s to fit in the early tobacco card pages that were ever so slightly too small for the E cards.

The Collins on the right is full size and worth 3-4X more than the trimmed Collins

The next scarcest and best card of the bunch would be the E93 Cobb

Thank you for helping me out. I have a question, I have seen several of the E92 on ebay that are the size of t206. They are graded but not labeled as trimmed. What gives? here is an example:
!BuUlJHQ!mk~$(KGrHqUOKi8EusBo,9d7BL+yNI7eTw~~_3.jpg

jbrown

Nov 28, 2009
KY
Got a few of the grades back from SGC.
Both T206 Cobbs were 10 (1) as expected
The E93 Cobb is a 30 (2) not too terrible. Was hoping for maybe a 3. Wish they did half grades like PSA does!
The full card of Eddie Collins is a 40 (3). Pretty Happy with that.

The Diamond Stars and Bowman are still at SGC. I submitted them on the 10 day July special they have running.
I sent the other Collins, the t205s, and the Frank Smith to PSA. Still waiting on those.
Will update with more grades when they come in.
pics of the ones I have back will be posted later today.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
How the hell did I miss this thread?

Absolutely AMAZING pickups! :shock:

Those later pre-war vintage cards are friggen SHARP! And you had me wondering what card could be bigger than a Ty Cobb Tolstoi back :lol: Well done!

:::slow clap:::

jbrown

Nov 28, 2009
KY
scotty21690 said:
How the hell did I miss this thread?

Absolutely AMAZING pickups! :shock:

Those later pre-war vintage cards are friggen SHARP! And you had me wondering what card could be bigger than a Ty Cobb Tolstoi back :lol: Well done!

:::slow clap:::

Thank you. -Biting bottom lip and giving the thumbs up- a la Bill Clinton

jbrown

Nov 28, 2009
KY
Can anyone shed some light on the value of the Tolstoi back compared to the more common backs like Piedmont or Polar Bear? Is there a premium for these? I have found conflicting info so want to clear that up. Thanks!
Pics:
sgclot.jpg

jbrown

Nov 28, 2009
KY
Also, can anyone help me out on the Croft's Candy? How rare are these? I can't find any pricing on these in the bible or SMR. PSA has only graded 5 of the Collins ever. Are they on par with the American Caramels, Nadja Caramels, or Philadelphia Caramels?

manningmurphyfan

Aug 17, 2008
jbrown said:
Also, can anyone help me out on the Croft's Candy? How rare are these? I can't find any pricing on these in the bible or SMR. PSA has only graded 5 of the Collins ever. Are they on par with the American Caramels, Nadja Caramels, or Philadelphia Caramels?

I would get a 24-hour subscription to VCP (vintagecardprices.com) to get an accurate value on the cards. It looks like they charge $3.99 for it. I used them for a while and it was a nice tool to see previous sales on cards via Ebay and other auction sites.

Members online