Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Inscription on a 2010 Elite Card...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Firebirds11

Oct 6, 2010
I recently bought this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/2010-Donruss-Elite- ... 2c5dd0eaf3

And yeah I know I might have overpayed because the auto/inscription is off the sticker, but I'm a huge collector of Castellanos and it was a unique item.

Now there is another red auto /50 on ebay. That one doesn't have the inscription. In fact, I didn't know any Elite auto had an inscription. Is there anywhere that shows how many inscription auto's were produced for Castellanos?

Thanks for any help :)

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
As far as I know, yours is the only Elite Auto since 2004 I've seen with an inscription.

Exposfan

Mar 16, 2009
Hartland, WI
Its certainly possible its the only Castellanos variation. I know that for 2010 Bowman Chrome I have only seen one Scooter Gennett Blue Refractor Auto with his actual first(Ryan) and last name on it. If someone here has it I am interested.

Firebirds11

Oct 6, 2010
Jaypers said:
As far as I know, yours is the only Elite Auto since 2004 I've seen with an inscription.

That's interesting..

I know on the other thread someone mentioning it that it may be fake, but I don't see how if hit auto is on the top part and the inscription is on the bottom. And plus it's status /50 and if I get it and it says "this is an official autograph from nick castellanos" on the back, I doubt it's fake. But if anyone has any other input, that would be awesome.

PeteD

Oct 15, 2009
Southern Ont.
Jaypers said:

acowart.jpg

Besides an religous one? Got another with the guy's uni #.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
I own this; pretty sure the inscription is what garnered the 9 auto:

KyleGibsonEliteautoBGS952009.jpg

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Firebirds11 said:
Jaypers said:

That's interesting..

I know on the other thread someone mentioning it that it may be fake, but I don't see how if hit auto is on the top part and the inscription is on the bottom. And plus it's status /50 and if I get it and it says "this is an official autograph from nick castellanos" on the back, I doubt it's fake. But if anyone has any other input, that would be awesome.

I would think the possibility of it being fake alludes to the inscription being fake, and I suspect it is too. Imagine if you pulled that card and the autograph looked like that minus the inscription, who would buy it? So it's not a far stretch to think someone could have gotten ahold of the same writing utencil and scribbled a inscription to make it look more appealing. Does this equate to proof of a forgery? Absolutely not, but maybe it will help you understand the reasoning behind my thoughts...

Firebirds11

Oct 6, 2010
matfanofold said:
Firebirds11 said:
Jaypers said:

That's interesting..

I would think the possibility of it being fake alludes to the inscription being fake, and I suspect it is too. Imagine if you pulled that card and the autograph looked like that minus the inscription, who would buy it? So it's not a far stretch to think someone could have gotten ahold of the same writing utencil and scribbled a inscription to make it look more appealing. Does this equate to proof of a forgery? Absolutely not, but maybe it will help you understand the reasoning behind my thoughts...

I see what you are saying although there have been no Castellanos auto's from Donruss that have been in the upper half and I still don't think anyone would do that to risk ruining a card, but we have seen many stupid people do it. Anyway to contact Donruss and ask them?

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Firebirds11 said:
matfanofold said:
Firebirds11 said:
Jaypers said:

That's interesting..

I see what you are saying although there have been no Castellanos auto's from Donruss that have been in the upper half and I still don't think anyone would do that to risk ruining a card, but we have seen many stupid people do it. Anyway to contact Donruss and ask them?

I think the fact the auto was horribly off the top of the sticker already ruined the card, so no reall loss in trying imo... Again though, just speculation. Personally I would not have touched it and opted for one of the centered auto's you refered to.

Firebirds11

Oct 6, 2010
matfanofold said:
Firebirds11 said:
matfanofold said:
Firebirds11 said:
Jaypers said:

That's interesting..

I think the fact the auto was horribly off the top of the sticker already ruined the card, so no reall loss in trying imo... Again though, just speculation. Personally I would not have touched it and opted for one of the centered auto's you refered to.

I just thought it was unique... But the card isn't ruined... There are a lot of Castellanos auto's that the sig goes off the sticker.

Picturing the sig without the inscription, there is no way he signed it that off centered. I haven't seen a card like that yet.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Firebirds11 said:
matfanofold said:
Firebirds11 said:
matfanofold said:
Firebirds11 said:
[quote="Jaypers":5mov1zn9]As far as I know, yours is the only Elite Auto since 2004 I've seen with an inscription.

That's interesting..

I just thought it was unique... But the card isn't ruined... There are a lot of Castellanos auto's that the sig goes off the sticker.

Picturing the sig without the inscription, there is no way he signed it that off centered. I haven't seen a card like that yet.[/quote:5mov1zn9]

Ah, ok. I did not notice you were the one who bought it. No problem, I'm sure you are right. :)

Firebirds11

Oct 6, 2010
matfanofold said:
Firebirds11 said:
matfanofold said:
Firebirds11 said:
matfanofold said:
[quote="Firebirds11":3r2kr40u][quote="Jaypers":3r2kr40u]As far as I know, yours is the only Elite Auto since 2004 I've seen with an inscription.

That's interesting..

Picturing the sig without the inscription, there is no way he signed it that off centered. I haven't seen a card like that yet.[/quote:3r2kr40u]

Ah, ok. I did not notice you were the one who bought it. No problem, I'm sure you are right. :)[/quote:3r2kr40u]

Just giving you my take. I just honestly don't see how the auto can be so off-centered.

Firebirds11

Oct 6, 2010
And another thing...

The inscription also runs off the card.. How can someone write the inscription off the sticker like that without making a mark on the card?

I know it's my card now, and I'm going to show some bias, but I think I have valid argument points.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Firebirds11 said:
And another thing...

The inscription also runs off the card.. How can someone write the inscription off the sticker like that without making a mark on the card?

Obviously that was the very first thing I thought of too when trying to debunk the 'fake' theory, and the answer I came up with quite quickly was "very easily"...

Actually adds to the perception of authentic, no? Again, assuming it may be fake.

Let me know if you need specifics on 'how to', I'll pm you.

Firebirds11

Oct 6, 2010
tm decomposer said:
Why don't you just find out from Nick himself?

I have talked to his family before and will talk to them again... I just talked to him when I was in WM last month. Darn.

Members online