Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The truth hurts sometimes i guess.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bornagaincollector

Aug 7, 2008
Cleveland,Ohio
Lastnight a relative told me they had some complete sets of Baseball from 1988-1992...She said she wanted 600.00 for all.I told her they were 100.00-150.00 at best depending who got them.She told me i was crazy!

Here is what she had:
1988-Topps [5]
1989-Topps [2]
1990-Topps [2]
1991-Topps [2]
1992-Topps [2]

Pastretta

Aug 27, 2008
Arizona
Yeah when people that I know ask me about older game used cards/other items I tell them they are not worth much and they think I am lying ::facepalm::

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
I normally dont even tell them what its worth. A family friend of ours brought her collection along with her siblings collections to a picnic for me to look through. all stuff from the late 80s so instead of telling them the price, I just said keep them and give them to your kids. She didnt seem offended and decided to do just that. They did have a book of indext cards from when they would go to the bears traning camp and that had 3 Walter Payton auto's in it so she is putting that somewhere nicer.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
Exposfan said:
Another way to avoid this is to tell the person to go check Ebay and show them ending prices.
believe it or not some people don't "believe" ebay.

My lcs owner used to bitch all the time about how ebay completed items weren't "real" prices, because "not many people use ebay".

shows how in touch many shop owners are...::facepalm::

deceptikon1978

Apr 7, 2009
phillyfan0417 said:
I normally dont even tell them what its worth. A family friend of ours brought her collection along with her siblings collections to a picnic for me to look through. all stuff from the late 80s so instead of telling them the price, I just said keep them and give them to your kids. She didnt seem offended and decided to do just that. They did have a book of indext cards from when they would go to the bears traning camp and that had 3 Walter Payton auto's in it so she is putting that somewhere nicer.

I'm with you there. I can't even count how many of my friends and families collections I went through. People think they are sitting on a gold mine and I don't have the heart to tell them anymore because you get the "you're a liar" or "you're a *******" face from them.

"I have a bunch of old Babe Ruth cards!!!" [ebay:3vez8o85]140569056937[/ebay:3vez8o85] Good luck with that. Happy retirement.

bballjunky24

Dec 8, 2008
I don't know about others, but every time I'm at the LCS at least 1 person walks in saying I have a storage locker/garage/closet/this box FILLED with old baseball cards that I want to sell. 99.9% of those people get the message that their cards are about worth the recycle value of the cardboard. When I'm at the shop I spit out a very similar explanation as masonphillip does. I spend about 3 hours at the shop probably once a week and the lady that runs it likes to take a break from looking at the same stuff over and over again so she lets me to take a look (she's usually opening)... I usually end by saying if they don't have kids of their own, donate them to the children's hospital or the boys and girls club if they just want to get rid of them and don't need the $10 that a local shop would shell out for them...

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I understand why people feel bad about telling them their cards are worthless, but, I would get even more pissed off when people would tell me "but the guy at the other shop said you buy these!!"

Sometimes people need to grow a sack.

Feelings get hurt, thats part of life.

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Exposfan said:
Another way to avoid this is to tell the person to go check Ebay and show them ending prices.

Or show them how many of whatever they had could be bought on eBay for $5 BIN plus shipping.

PeteD

Oct 15, 2009
Southern Ont.
I have put up 3 sets in the last oh 3-4 months that have SP's and book in the $300 range.

Got $30 for each...10% of book. Hardly worth the effort :/

Members online

Latest posts