Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Thoughts from player collectors on damaged rare cards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thumpersports

Aug 9, 2008
Calgary
After 10+ years of collecting Glaus, one of my top 3 cards finally appeared for the first time. It is numbered out of /50 but Ive never seen another one and its a parallel rookie card.

I paid $135 including shipping which I was confortable with.

Card arrived today and as I was inspecting it, I noticed a HUGE crease, about half a card width (left to right).

I checked the auction scans and now that I know what it is, you can see it. Being a foil card, It didnt stand out at first. So I know the post office didnt damage it.

Seller stated the card is in beautiful condition, with no problems what so ever.

He does have 23,000 feedback with 100% so im not concerned about getting a refund. ( although paying $20 to ship it back seems totaly unfair)

My question is, if offered a partial refund, what would you think its worth. To my collection, not resale value.

Thanks

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
This may be a dumb question, but if it had been listed as creased, do you have a idea what you would have bid?

RITM

Aug 25, 2008
Ouch. Obviously it is tough to place a value on something of that nature. If you let it go, you may or may not stumble on another copy for quite awhile. When it came down to landing my #1 Ripken want, I was willing to take any condition. In fact, the copy I have has writing on the back of it. However, I knew about the writing before buying. It is a totally different scenario buying a card in beautiful condition with a crease as the card would've been more affordable. Is this a situation where you still would've paid that amount knowing the true condition? Either way I would be communicating with the seller and going from there.

Thumpersports

Aug 9, 2008
Calgary
Topnotchsy said:
This may be a dumb question, but if it had been listed as creased, do you have a idea what you would have bid?

I honestly would have no idea. Im leaning towards I wouldnt bid. Now that its in hand, Im tempted to keep it.

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
I would politely ask for a partial, keep the card if you can work it out and continue your search for another one to upgrade. If it hasn't come around before, it may be quite some time before you see it again. It sucks and leaves a nasty feeling in your stomach but hey, its a super rare card and you might want to hang on to it "just in case"

jszczech

Dec 27, 2010
Minnesota
I would try to get something back for it if I could but to be honest if it is for my pc I just like having the card. I have a few cards that are damaged that I got deals on that nobody else wanted. I just look at them as place holders but if I never come across another one I don't mind the copies I have.

RITM

Aug 25, 2008
With a seller of that magnitude I am wondering if this is a situation of a copy/paste template in the item description gone bad. I am sure you both will come to a resolution. No way someone is going to put their reputation on a card creased that bad with an item description saying it has no problems.

EricChavezCollector3

Aug 7, 2008
50% of what you paid. I have had that a couple times and usually when you bring the damage the sellers attension a good seller will apologize for the damage and offer a % back. Since it is going to cost you $20 to return it I would definitely factor that in when determining if it worth holding onto. If the seller does not offer a partial refund I would simply return the item. 50 copies is not so rare that another copy will never surface again. And if the seller relists it with an accurate description see if you can win it for a much lower price point.

cstmleather

Jan 14, 2009
Had a similar problem a few years ago. Purchased these from the same seller. Pics were a bit blurry in the auction and seller stated they were in good condition. I would have asked for a partial refund but I was worried he might want them sent back and just refund the full amount. Decided to keep them since I got them cheap anyways.

In your case it's worth asking for a partial refund since there's a better chance of another popping up.

Sorry for the large scans. All three are 1/1 with faded autos.
AUAndersonG2004DonElX9b.jpg
AUAndersonG2004DonElX9g.jpg
AUAndersonG2004DonElX9r.jpg

Thumpersports

Aug 9, 2008
Calgary
EricChavezCollector3 said:
50% of what you paid. I have had that a couple times and usually when you bring the damage the sellers attension a good seller will apologize for the damage and offer a % back. Since it is going to cost you $20 to return it I would definitely factor that in when determining if it worth holding onto. If the seller does not offer a partial refund I would simply return the item. 50 copies is not so rare that another copy will never surface again. And if the seller relists it with an accurate description see if you can win it for a much lower price point.

I think $70 is still alot for a creased card. I wouldnt pay that much had I known. Here it is:

leafrookiesandstars-damaged.jpg

Derriz

Aug 7, 2008
This happened with the 2011 Tribute Red Joey Votto I won a couple months ago. Card was listed as Near Mint and I ended up winning at around $137. Card arrived a couple weeks later from Korea with surface scratches all over the place that wasn't visable from the scan provided.

Being a 1/1, I really wanted this card but at $137 and the current condition of the card I just could not justify the price, especially when the seller did not disclose the obvious damage this card had.

Seller refused a partial refund of $50 which would have made it a $87 purchase. Sent the card back for a full refund and waited for it to be listed again. It ended up selling for $86.65 the second time around. I didn't make too much effort to win it knowing the true condition of the card.

Thumpersports

Aug 9, 2008
Calgary
gracecollector said:
I'd want a full refund on that. #/50 come back up, eventually.

10+ years to find first copy though. :(

After reading the seller emails, sounds VERY fishy, especially since its not even graded. Im just gonna send it back and deal with it.

Qoute:

I will take it back, no problem at all, According to beckett BGS they graded it an 8.5 so I will have this taken care of at my end and plus the second bidder wants the card regardless so send it back and I will refund you your $$$, also shipping is $14.99 not $20.00 I can only refund the amount that I charge in my auction, so when I get the card back, I will refund you your full amount plus $14.99 for sending it back Priority Mail, Im sorry this is not to your liken but I will take care of this, Please send to the address below and confirm this email when you get this, thanks

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
Thumpersports said:
gracecollector said:
I'd want a full refund on that. #/50 come back up, eventually.

10+ years to find first copy though. :(

After reading the seller emails, sounds VERY fishy, especially since its not even graded. Im just gonna send it back and deal with it.

Qoute:

I will take it back, no problem at all, According to beckett BGS they graded it an 8.5 so I will have this taken care of at my end and plus the second bidder wants the card regardless so send it back and I will refund you your $$$, also shipping is $14.99 not $20.00 I can only refund the amount that I charge in my auction, so when I get the card back, I will refund you your full amount plus $14.99 for sending it back Priority Mail, Im sorry this is not to your liken but I will take care of this, Please send to the address below and confirm this email when you get this, thanks

As a seller, that's the only thing to do...as a buyer, you'll find another.

miguelcabrera

Nov 20, 2008
YOU KNOW
id ask for a partial refund as that was not described

as a player collector (and honestly as just a normal collector as well) id take the partial refund if i got it but if it was a card i really wanted and he said no to partial refund id just keep it because condition of cards to me do not matter at all whatsoever as long as the card is not ripped in half

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
That really hurts, but personally, I would keep it. That's the first time I've ever seen a Glaus Longevity, so even though there are 50 of them, there may not be 50 available (some in PCs, some still in packs, some gone and lost forever). However, I don't have the extra cash on hand to spend that much on one card, so I've never dealt with an issue quite like this. I have plenty of cards in my PC that are scratched or dinged or bent (usually from hanging out in dime boxes), and I don't care too much. I'd rather have the card less than perfect than not have it at all.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts