Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

BOOMO public sevice announcement, please read

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boomo

Sep 14, 2008
the following scan shows why using a screwdown for certain cards
is as stupid as it gets. this will never happen with a toploader and sleeve.
luckily, garbage card, but if not, that could really suck.

that is all, thank you

468.jpg

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
Yeah, it sucks...I picked this ARod up for a few bucks in case someone wanted a filler or to have Mike make a custom...nice set, it's shame. The back edges have the worst flaking though, so the front presents OK.

4e0d50da40773_91673b.jpg

Russ S.

Aug 10, 2008
VA / DC / MD
Had a Ripken GU Bat card /35 that I purchased do that.
Sucks, but the seller refunded the money and let me keep the card, but would rather have a clean card. :cry: :cry:

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
I should add; on the rare occasion I use a one touch, I place a sheet of mylar or polyethylene inside the card well and atop the card.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Should have thrown that bad boy in the freezer for a bit before removing it. This topic was brought up a while back here, and someone gave that advice. I checked my collection and there were a couple patch cards that were sticking to the screw down. I froze 'em, and it worked.

Thanks for the advice, someone! I think it mighta been George?

Y4NK335

Aug 7, 2008
TBD
This is why I am afraid to use most cases without a penny sleeve. Still trying to determine the best way to display some of my nicer pieces.

Halonut

Aug 7, 2008
unfortunately i had this happen to a pretty high end card a few years back, 2004 SP top prospects nolan ryan/vlad/trumbo triple auto #/25 :(

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
A buffer of penny sleeve suggested here is a good idea! I know I can't put a card in a penny sleeve and get it to fit in the screwdown without the penny sleeve wrinking, but it's a good idea to trim the penny sleeve so I have half of the sleeve sized just right that I can place it between the card and the top surface to provide that buffer between the card and the top of the screwdown.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
RL24 said:
Should have thrown that bad boy in the freezer for a bit before removing it. This topic was brought up a while back here, and someone gave that advice. I checked my collection and there were a couple patch cards that were sticking to the screw down. I froze 'em, and it worked.

Thanks for the advice, someone! I think it mighta been George?

You are fortunate. I do that with packs of early '90s glossy cards, as well as cards potentially damaged by compression...it doesn't work 100%. It's the best option we've got though.

cmnkb8

Nov 17, 2009
The Armpit of America: NEW JERSEY!
Wouldn't putting the card in the freezer cause water damage from all the condensation that forms on it after taking it out?

Never liked screwdowns myself for a variety of reasons. Now I have another to add to the list.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
cmnkb8 said:
Wouldn't putting the card in the freezer cause water damage from all the condensation that forms on it after taking it out?

Never liked screwdowns myself for a variety of reasons. Now I have another to add to the list.

Only if the temperature differential was extreme and more likely if the cards aren't removed from the case (or from each other) immediately. The point is to separate them immediately and let them return to room temp gradually. If you're really concerned about condensation, insulating the cards between paper towels with a book on top would prevent condensation. Never put a cold card in a penny sleeve though...let it return to room temp first.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts