Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Preference: Young Player Consistent Contact vs Early Power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The_ReverendAct2

Aug 7, 2008
I was wonder which would you prefer for a young hitter if they are a 4-5 tool potential player. Many times young players with power get pull happy once they hit a few HRs and never develop plate discipline. Strike zone discipline takes time and if a player has the power potential I am starting to lean toward the consistent early contact with the expectation that as they mature the power will likely come. Which do you perfer. Not thinking names, but more so players who are still teenagers with at least 1 season under their belt.

Mudcatsfan

Aug 7, 2008
Look for extra base hits to K ratio.

If you find anyone with a near 1:1 ratio you've got a future star.

This means they can control the strikezone, while squaring up the ball. They may not be HR's yet, but doubles & triples turn into HR's when they reach the boutique ballparks in the majors and get that last bit of strength that comes with turning 25-30.

Carlos Quentin was a player i identified with this stat. Too bad he can never stay healthy, but he's been outstanding when standing up.

shayscards79

Aug 17, 2010
Chicago
Getting on base is more important imo. Players with good plate patience will get their HR's for the most part, but even it they don't, a single beats a strikeout.

At least Michael Choice is finding that tweaking a swing and being more patient still yields home runs and has increased his average quite a bit too.

Members online

Latest posts