Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

If you received $1000 for prospects...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MarinerswinWS

Oct 18, 2010
Tacoma, WA
And you had to pay it back off in exactly one year, who would you invest in? Simple discussion topic that I thought might be cool to have.

To get the dice rollin' for me I'd invest in Paul Goldschmidt, he's kinda already pricey but I think he could be in for a price increase.

mwashuc06

Aug 7, 2008
MarinerswinWS said:
And you had to pay it back off in exactly one year, who would you invest in? Simple discussion topic that I thought might be cool to have.

To get the dice rollin' for me I'd invest in Paul Goldschmidt, he's kinda already pricey but I think he could be in for a price increase.

Taijuan Walker

Mudcatsfan

Aug 7, 2008
The title of the thread says for prospects, not Hall of Famers.

It's like being asked about penny stock advice and replying with Berkshire Hathaway :)

So like most threads, people will read your question and get different interpretations leading to non-valuable responses. What are your terms exactly? You mention the one year period, but what is the reasonable amount of risk you're willing to take? Is the point to maximize the money at all costs? is it to be SURE you get your 1000 back and anything above it is gravy? Etc

If you're gonna go crazy risk/reward, you might do well with strasburg. I would imagine he's capable of being the biggest risk reward right now, depending on how he comes back.

More sure things would include guys who have recently cracked the top 25-50 who weren't there before.

Me personally?

I was all over Taijuan Walker and am now ready to sell a few off to cover my initial buy in. I do however think he can pop big time. His numbers are ridiculous.

MarinerswinWS

Oct 18, 2010
Tacoma, WA
Mudcatsfan said:
The title of the thread says for prospects, not Hall of Famers.

It's like being asked about penny stock advice and replying with Berkshire Hathaway :)

So like most threads, people will read your question and get different interpretations leading to non-valuable responses. What are your terms exactly? You mention the one year period, but what is the reasonable amount of risk you're willing to take? Is the point to maximize the money at all costs? is it to be SURE you get your 1000 back and anything above it is gravy? Etc

If you're gonna go crazy risk/reward, you might do well with strasburg. I would imagine he's capable of being the biggest risk reward right now, depending on how he comes back.

More sure things would include guys who have recently cracked the top 25-50 who weren't there before.

Me personally?

I was all over Taijuan Walker and am now ready to sell a few off to cover my initial buy in. I do however think he can pop big time. His numbers are ridiculous.
Kind of like a $1000 dollar prospecting loan that would have to be paid off after exactly 1 year... then extra gravy is the hope/ goal. Maximizing the cost would be great so that after it all you get to keep the excess cash made. I was thinking about Strasburg also it would be a tough one though risk wise but hey risks sometimes have to be made.

Adam G

Jan 25, 2009
Definitely Walker. Relatively low buy in, very good chance of doubling to quadrupling in a year. His Sterling autos could be around 50 next spring very easily.

bigredmachine

Dec 16, 2009
Strasburg. He has got a lot of room to move up. You could buy up a lot of cheaper guys but its a lot easier to sell off a few cards than a couple hundred.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Adam G said:
Definitely Walker. Relatively low buy in, very good chance of doubling to quadrupling in a year. His Sterling autos could be around 50 next spring very easily.

ahahhah, sterling autos at $50? Wow, hype attempt gone overboard. 0% chance of this happening. He was great buy-in at $1-$4 per sterling auto, poor buy-in at $15+.

Take your money, find TOP 30 - Top 40 guys who are WAY too cheap. There are some obvious ones out there, but i will let you find them.

For example, two off-seasons ago i bought (5) Carlos Santana Blue ref autos for between $40-$60 each. I sold them for $160 each during the following season. He was a top 10 prospect, yet his cards were selling for peanuts. Again, there are many guys like this out there.

skrip

Crewfan82

Apr 21, 2009
ballerskrip said:
Adam G said:

ahahhah, sterling autos at $50? Wow, hype attempt gone overboard. 0% chance of this happening. He was great buy-in at $1-$4 per sterling auto, poor buy-in at $15+.

Agree, his sterling autos may hit $20-25 tops by next year. Not a great buy anymore IMO.

I say grab a bunch of chrome autos of a few top 25 prospects that can be had in the $20-$30 range or less and then grade as many as possible. Unload the entire $1000 stash next year and hope you come out ahead. I would assume you will at least get your money out of the raw autos and BGS 9, and you should double your money on any BGS 9.5 copies.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Scrub the Top 25 lists and bounce that against teams that have big free agents leaving after this year who will probably call someone up. For example (and I'm NOT suggesting this as a money-making venture) Fielder is most likely gone after this year, and Mat Gamel will probably play full-time next year.

Or spend it all on Taillon. His prices most likely won't fall, so you can back out, but he might get the call if the Pirates can carry anything over from this year.

chromerookies

Aug 7, 2008
Madison, Ct.
yeah I also don't know about Taijuan's base sterling hitting $50 but $20-$25 is def. possible. I didn't buy too many of his base, just 5, but instead I concentrated on the tougher paralells (see sig.). I'm gonna hang on to him until maybe next Feb/March when the BA Top 10 Org. lists come out and ST starts up. I agree with what ballerskrip said and picking up cheap top 50 prospects but I will wait until after the season usually around end Oct/Nov. is when I start buying prospects.

WNP22

Aug 17, 2009
Memphis
Martin Perez...Just got the call to Round Rock, and his stuff has been selling for dirt cheap compared to other top prospects.

aminors

Aug 7, 2008
Southern IN
Dustin Ackley. I still think he's a good buy. Buy a gold, a blue, and a few base. He's been hitting right at .300 in the bigs with a couple homers, triples, and doubles. I also hear he plays solid defense. He'll be a star. See: Gordon Beckham's price explosion.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
I agree with a previous poster - put that money into cheaper strasburg cards - you can make some huge money if he comes back strong.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts