Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Trade Deadline Rumors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SamHell

Jun 12, 2010
Texas
Things are heating up and rumors are flying. One of the latest is Andrew Bailey to the Rangers for Martin Perez, Chris Davis and one more minor league pitcher. Bailey would look great in the Rangers bullpen but that trade won't happen. I could see maybe Erlin, Davis and a fringe prospect for Bailey but I only see Perez being moved in a package for an impact type player such as a top of the rotation pitcher.
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... Id=rss_tex
What are some of the rumors that have caught your eye?

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Yeah, don't see that happening. I am most interested to see if the Cubs can Deal Byrd/fukodome/soriano/grabow/aramis and if so, what they can get for them.

skrip

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Would love to see the Orioles ship Guthrie somewhere for a decent young arm and young bat.

danimal

Dec 28, 2009
The Reds have to trade Yonder Alonso don't they? He's blocked at 1b and the Reds of is stacked with Stubbs, Bruce and Gomes.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
SamHell said:
Things are heating up and rumors are flying. One of the latest is Andrew Bailey to the Rangers for Martin Perez, Chris Davis and one more minor league pitcher. Bailey would look great in the Rangers bullpen but that trade won't happen. I could see maybe Erlin, Davis and a fringe prospect for Bailey but I only see Perez being moved in a package for an impact type player such as a top of the rotation pitcher.
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... Id=rss_tex
What are some of the rumors that have caught your eye?

I dont see that happening at all, and it would be way too much for Bailey

Erlin is a great prospect and so is Perez.

Besides, Feliz is already there and I havent heard anything about moving him to the rotiation.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
markakis8 said:
Would love to see the Orioles ship Guthrie somewhere for a decent young arm and young bat.

How much do you think they can expect for him? Seems like a very marginal starter, doesn't strike anyone out, and is probably going to be owed $10 million in arbitration next year (which is a joke). I personally don't think he would garner a great deal.

skrip

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
danimal said:
The Reds have to trade Yonder Alonso don't they? He's blocked at 1b and the Reds of is stacked with Stubbs, Bruce and Gomes.

I'm not so sure about that. The Reds don't seem to be looking at Gomes, Lewis, or Heisey as the main LF. Alonso has been playing LF, so I'm not sure what the plan is. I think they should Heisey a shot as the everyday LF and move Alonso in a deal that could help bring a potential ace to the pitching staff.

To me, Bailey, Leake, and Volquez are definitely expendable. I would move Hernandez and give Mesoraco the call. Gomes and Lewis would both be available. I would be willing to part with Alonso as well if it would bring back a top of the rotation starter.

The Reds have some good young talent and I think they need to go ahead and start using some of it. Heisey or Alonso as the LF, Mesoraco behind the dish, Cozart or Janish at SS, and might as well give Francisco some more time at 3B if someone can teach him that he doesn't have to swing at EVERY damn pitch. Honestly, they could move Francisco and make Alonso a 3B. That would be fine by me as well.

Lifelongfan

Aug 7, 2008
muskiesfan said:
danimal said:

I'm not so sure about that. The Reds don't seem to be looking at Gomes, Lewis, or Heisey as the main LF. Alonso has been playing LF, so I'm not sure what the plan is. I think they should Heisey a shot as the everyday LF and move Alonso in a deal that could help bring a potential ace to the pitching staff.

To me, Bailey, Leake, and Volquez are definitely expendable. I would move Hernandez and give Mesoraco the call. Gomes and Lewis would both be available. I would be willing to part with Alonso as well if it would bring back a top of the rotation starter.

The Reds have some good young talent and I think they need to go ahead and start using some of it. Heisey or Alonso as the LF, Mesoraco behind the dish, Cozart or Janish at SS, and might as well give Francisco some more time at 3B if someone can teach him that he doesn't have to swing at EVERY damn pitch. Honestly, they could move Francisco and make Alonso a 3B. That would be fine by me as well.

Some good ideas in that post.

ctbinvestments

Jun 13, 2011
muskiesfan said:
danimal said:

I would love to see Alonso stay with the Reds but I think he gets traded. It's no secret I like Alonso alot and think his game will translate well to the majors but he was the best player on the field in Charlotte this past weekend. Yes better than Viciedo, Mesoraco and Frazier. Obviously Mesoraco gets the nod for better prospect because he looks like a very good hitting catcher which is rare. As far as Alonso playing 3B, not a chance. He has limited range for LF so I doubt he would have any range at 3B. OF is set with Bruce, Stubbs and Heisey (forget Gomes) so I see him being moved. Unfortunately I think his destination may be the Padres for Bell or Adams if he stays at LF. If a team is willing to move him back to 1B then i see Pittsburgh, Arizona, Indians, and maybe even Washington (for Marquis?). I'm praying he stays out of SD but you can bet whoever trades for him will be counting on him as a starter sooner rather than later.

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
ctbinvestments said:
I would love to see Alonso stay with the Reds but I think he gets traded. It's no secret I like Alonso alot and think his game will translate well to the majors but he was the best player on the field in Charlotte this past weekend. Yes better than Viciedo, Mesoraco and Frazier. Obviously Mesoraco gets the nod for better prospect because he looks like a very good hitting catcher which is rare. As far as Alonso playing 3B, not a chance. He has limited range for LF so I doubt he would have any range at 3B. OF is set with Bruce, Stubbs and Heisey (forget Gomes) so I see him being moved. Unfortunately I think his destination may be the Padres for Bell or Adams if he stays at LF. If a team is willing to move him back to 1B then i see Pittsburgh, Arizona, Indians, and maybe even Washington (for Marquis?). I'm praying he stays out of SD but you can bet whoever trades for him will be counting on him as a starter sooner rather than later.

I think Alonso gets moved, but it has to make sense for the Reds to do so. I've heard whispers of him going to San Diego in a deal for Bell and Ludwick, but that doesn't make sens to me. The Reds everyday LF is already on the team, but Dusty would rather use him as a pinch hitter (Heisey). I see no need to bring in Ludwick. The only way I would move Alonso is if a top of the rotation starter is coming to Cincinnati.

I'd send Bailey, Leake, Volquez, Alonso, Gomes, and Lewis to Colorado for Jimenez. Nothing against Gomes or Lewis, neither should be in the line up unless Heisey is injured though.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
19braves77 said:
I think Hunter Pence will be traded. Either Giants or Pirates.

I do too and I really hope it's the Pirates. It'll be fun for baseball (much like it was in 08 with the Rays) to see a team that has sucked for so long made a run at the playoffs.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
markakis8 said:
19braves77 said:
I think Hunter Pence will be traded. Either Giants or Pirates.

I do too and I really hope it's the Pirates. It'll be fun for baseball (much like it was in 08 with the Rays) to see a team that has sucked for so long made a run at the playoffs.

I dont see Pence in Pittsburgh

I think Houston's asking price will be way too high

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
ts hard to not root for the Pirates. I always been a fan of McCutchen since his first spring training. It will be sad if the Pirates don't do anything. Pence will be controlled for 2.5 years at a price between 8-10 million. Astros picking three of the following with probably get it done: Tony Sanchez, Alex Presley, Starling Marte or Stetson

Ton of other teams interested in Hunter Pence. Braves and Phillies

I found a perfect home for Bj Upton:

Nationals get Upton

Rays get Drew Storen.

jfnats

Aug 20, 2010
I'd rather send Clippard (who's from the Tampa area originally) to TB for Upton, maybe with a prospect. Can't believe the Nats would really move Storen. Also hearing that Desmond is very available, so that Espy can move to shortstop and Lombardozzi (playing great in AA) can come up and play 2B.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
19braves77 said:
Wonder what Orlando Cabrera would cost ? Indians could part with him and the Brewers could use him.

While I agree the Brewers could definitely use him it looks as though, at least by today's developments, that the Indians will be buyers and not sellers. I realize that doesn't mean they won't deal Cabrera, but you'd think they would use the depth.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/07/i ... gle+Reader

Members online

Latest posts