Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Why do you guys Prospect flip?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crewfan82

Apr 21, 2009
Just throwing this out there for discussion.

I know the main objective is to make money, but why are you looking to make money? To buy up more stuff to flip, for additional household income....

Personally, I prospect and flip cards to fund larger PC purchases and to fund future prospect purchases. I'm a 29 year old father of two with a wife that is currently going to school. With my income supporting the fam I can't afford to blow our bank account on my addiction... well at least not without facing the wrath of the wife. Almost every dime I spend on cardboard is supported by prospecting, and I like it that way because I can't get myself into much trouble.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I find it fun. If I spent the time I do on cards working I'm could have made much more money, but I enjoy it.

danimal

Dec 28, 2009
For the scrilla. I've taken the family to Disney World, bought a riding lawn mower and a PS3 with flipping proceeds.

shayscards79

Aug 17, 2010
Chicago
Mostly for the money. I will only bank the profit and reinvest my orignal funds. 80 percent of the time it's reinvested into prospects and the rest into my PC.

Mudcatsfan

Aug 7, 2008
In order to be right.

Its a tangible way to put your money where your thoughts are and see if you can be right more often then you are wrong.

aminors

Aug 7, 2008
Southern IN
I don't know. I've bought a kinda crappy used car on craigslist for under a thousand with prospects money. What I've been making from flipping, though, I've been reinvesting. I started with like $60 and have only added funds very recently. Profited over $1,000.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Mudcatsfan said:
In order to be right.

Its a tangible way to put your money where your thoughts are and see if you can be right more often then you are wrong.
This is one of the things I really like about business and a reason I looked at business school. Business spends a lot of time considering metrics of evaluating success. I find it astonishing how many fields really have very little knowledge about whether or not they are really doing a good job at what they do, or have very little knowledge of how good (or bad) they are doing.

TGutta

May 30, 2010
Minnetonka, Minnesota
I'm not a prospector but being here has really got me interested in the minor leagues and it has been a lot of fun to track the progress of younger players. Because of it I have begun picking up a lot of Twins prospects. I'll probably sell some if I get the chance to make a good chunk off of them and keep the rest PC.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Topnotchsy said:
Mudcatsfan said:
In order to be right.

This is one of the things I really like about business and a reason I looked at business school. Business spends a lot of time considering metrics of evaluating success. I find it astonishing how many fields really have very little knowledge about whether or not they are really doing a good job at what they do, or have very little knowledge of how good (or bad) they are doing.

To be 'right' with baseball card investing (including flipping and/or prospecting), you'd have to correctly guess how the card *market* will work at any given time in order to make more $ than you lose. As we know card prices aren't solely (or even mostly?) attributable to player stats or accomplishment -- what causes and influences demand (player's team, HYPE, etc) and timing are involved and may be most important.

To be 'right' with baseball players you'd have to correctly guess whether your player makes the HOF or some other meaningful accomplishment. Baseball cards have absolutely nothing to do with this.

In the end prospecting and flipping - or just general investing - increases the cost of cards. I wonder how many collectors, who ordinarily want to keep their costs DOWN in order to acquire a larger or 'better' collection, realize this; I don't think collectors understand that general investment activity helps make all cards more expensive.

For a *real* prospector 'to be right' IMO, he/she would have to obtain the cards of his target player before entering the MLB *and* hold on to them until *after* his/her player is inducted into the HOF. Now THAT'S putting your money where your mouth is ;)

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
I dont even call it prospecting never did. Buy for x sell for Y. If you have been at it a longtime that says you have had some success or you have a high bankroll and dont care about spending it.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Crewfan82 said:
...I know the main objective is to make money, but why are you looking to make money? To buy up more stuff to flip, for additional household income....

What you said here reminds me of this
[youtube:264dfy0g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeNDzbFv2f8[/youtube:264dfy0g]

Hopefully not too many people think this way, although I'm sure there are some.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
I started because I thought any profits would help me build my PC, but then I realized I enjoy prospecting more than just collecting. I do it because it's fun, it's a way to stay close to a game I love now that my career is over, and because it's nice to make money.

As has been mentioned, I could have made way more money for my time by getting a minimum wage job, but it wouldn't have been nearly as fun, and that's what it's all about.

Mudcatsfan

Aug 7, 2008
uniquebaseballcards said:
Topnotchsy said:
Mudcatsfan said:
In order to be right.

To be 'right' with baseball card investing (including flipping and/or prospecting), you'd have to correctly guess how the card *market* will work at any given time in order to make more $ than you lose. As we know card prices aren't solely (or even mostly?) attributable to player stats or accomplishment -- what causes and influences demand (player's team, HYPE, etc) and timing are involved and may be most important.

To be 'right' with baseball players you'd have to correctly guess whether your player makes the HOF or some other meaningful accomplishment. Baseball cards have absolutely nothing to do with this.

In the end prospecting and flipping - or just general investing - increases the cost of cards. I wonder how many collectors, who ordinarily want to keep their costs DOWN in order to acquire a larger or 'better' collection, realize this; I don't think collectors understand that general investment activity helps make all cards more expensive.

For a *real* prospector 'to be right' IMO, he/she would have to obtain the cards of his target player before entering the MLB *and* hold on to them until *after* his/her player is inducted into the HOF. Now THAT'S putting your money where your mouth is ;)

Absolutely, there's way more to prospecting than being a good judge of baseball talent. I've picked cards based simply off their potential, their under-valued status, their being in a trough of a well known price cycle, etc than any true belief in the player being a superstar in hiding.

I'm not sure what you mean about a *real* prospector though, buying in the minors and holding till the hall of fame is a pretty terrible strategy. Buying in the minors and holding till the hall of fame and never selling the cards because you enjoy them is however a nice, fun way to prospect, especially if you stick to your home town team.

This enables you to have a great shot at owning cards of your home town heroes at prices below what you could afford them for years later. I still wish i had bought a Hanley Gold years ago, but it's just out of the range of what i feel i want to pay now. I'm sure Ryan Braun fans feel the same way in Milwaukee

spahnandsain said:
cgilmo said:
For the shawties
Word. I pull out my Pineda and they go wild.

*turns the lost boyz back up

shawty what cha name iz?

why in the name of gods green goodness would you turn the lost boyz down? lifestyles of the rich and famous is on my ipod in every folder...

the risk reward was what i liked... i believe thomas diamond is going to catch a groin punch if i e ever see him!

Members online

Latest posts