Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Collecting focus - how many collections? and what types?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WoundedDuck

Aug 23, 2008
The 'Do you ever lose interest in a player collection?' thread got me thinking about this. Personally I'd love to have it all, but I can't and unless you're Keith Olbermann or that W character from ebay, you can't. So we try to narrow our focus, but I feel like I've just got a bunch of different themed collections to try to still get it all :mrgreen: . I'll post my collections in no particular order, but I'd love to hear how others divide up their collecting interests.

Ohio State alumni collection
1 auto from every player that makes the pros since I started graudate school there in 2005. I've back tracked a little as well and will probably do some more at some point
http://s241.photobucket.com/albums/ff29 ... tos%20NFT/

Star auto collection
1 autograph of various stars/HoFers since I collected as a kid in the late 80s to present
http://s241.photobucket.com/albums/ff29 ... tos%20NFT/

Justin Upton player collection
1 of every card I can acquire of Justin Upton. When I started collecting again in 2006, he was the hot young #1 pick and I hopped on board. Only a few of the autos/gu are in the bucket, but I've got a pretty good list of what I've got on my pc. Part of me wants to start a Randy Johnson player collection, but I feel like I'm already spread too thin.
http://s241.photobucket.com/albums/ff29 ... ton%20NFT/

Vintage collection
Within the last year I've begun picking up a lot of vintage and this is where most of my focus has been recently. I've mostly picked up post 1900, pre-war with a few Harper's Weeklys from the 19th century. Right now it's kind of a type collection where I try to pick up a reasonably priced HoFer from various sets. I'd like to move this into post-war as well, but pre-war stuff has a pretty good hold right now and there's just not enough $$ :mrgreen:
http://s241.photobucket.com/albums/ff29 ... age%20NFT/

miguelcabrera

Nov 20, 2008
YOU KNOW
Main Collection
Miguel Cabrera

Side Collections
1998 super rave baseball set (minus yankees of course)
essential credential basketball cards (minus lakers of course)
random 90s inserts
patriots (mccourty, bethel johnson, kevin faulk)
red sox
celtics

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
Players:
Glen Perkins
Mike Kingery
Seth Rosin
Mike Kvasnicka
Kyle Knudson
Justin Gominsky
Jordan Smith (Indians, Mahoning Valley Scrappers)

Sets:
2011 Ginter Relics (may do the autos after a while)
1958 Topps

TTM/IP stuff too.

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
I have my player collections:
Pete Rose
Chris Sabo
Adam Dunn

Then I collect Reds in general, vintage, game used, autographs, inserts, anything of a player in a Reds uniform. I just began a vintage Reds project. It should be a lot of fun. Saw your post on Net54. If you ever want to move that Harper's Weekly, please let me know.

I collect anything Bengals. I only collect Bengals players in a Bengals uniform with the exception of rookies who are in their college uniform. I collect base, inserts, game used, autographs, bobbleheads, just everything Bengals.

I have started a Columbus Blue Jackets hockey collection. I am going to pick up some Oscar Robertson cards of him with the Cincinnati Royals. I may pick up some David West cards because he is a Xavier graduate.

I am always trying to add my memorabilia collection. I love autographed baseballs, footballs, books, pictures, jerseys, bats, helmets, etc.

*EDIT to add* I forgot about my TTM/IP 'graphing. It's not always sports, but that is another collection.

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
Main Player Collections:
Cuddyer
Any and all pack issued cards (goal would be to get the master set less the /1 to /5's)
Game used memorabilia (not just any ole game used item, I like some uniqueness behind it, ie. the Game 163 Glove, the 2010 Jackie Robinson Day Jersey, the 09 & 11 pink Mothers Day Bats)

Musial
Vintage (shooting for his vintage Bowman and Topps issued cards signed, but if not, would like a PSA 5 or equivalent of those)
Modern (still working on the 2005 Studio Portraits, think I'm down to 3 or 4 needed, and Topps Sterling, but have contemplated selling those off)

1985 Topps
TTM/IP of each card, dont care if I acquire it in person or thru the mail, or if I have to buy them off of eBay. This collection has slowed way down, havent done much with it in the last 2 years, but still keep it around for the winter months when its slow and I need something to work on.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
I've got WAY too many, but it also keeps me wanting more. I know I won't collect someone as hardcore as I do with Northcutt or JJ, but there's probably about 25 other player collections that I've got just to keep me from not losing interest in the hobby.

rookieaddict

Nov 13, 2008
Cardinals Autos- I need 1 certified auto of everyone to play for The Cardinals. Must be in a Cardinals uniform and on card
is preferred. I'm currently doing players from 1965 to present day. Down to players who would be cuts,
or extremely low print run buybacks.

Cardinals Rookies- I'm currently trying to complete back to 1980. This is 1 of everyone who has played for the Cardinals
regardless of uniform on the card. If a auto is available, that is the preference. Once I have 1980 to
present complete I'll start working my way back year by year.

Yadier Molina 2004- Trying to amass 1 of each of his non 1/1 RC's. Checklist of 98, I'm only a little over half way there.

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
I've narrowed my focus considerably over the past few years, here's what I'm currently chasing.

1. Player Collections

• - Paul O'Neill - everything
    - Mariano Rivera - on-card autographs
    - Dinesh Patel - 2009 Bowman Chrome, Sterling
2. NY Yankees Team Sets
  • - 1952-2011 Topps base
    - 2001-2011 Topps Heritage base
    - 2001-2007 Bowman Heritage base

3. Other Projects

• - 1998 Yankees Roster TTM/IP autographs
    - multi-exposure cards
    - custom autographed cards

OscarOne

Jan 15, 2011
Honolulu, Hawaii, United States
1. Sweet Spot Autograph Cards: I like to get HOF as well as current stars on them. Also great for players with no regular issued cards.

84403.jpg

2. Indians Topps Team Sets from 1952-current: Fun, and I am over half way done.

3. 2005 Upper Deck Derk Ultimate Signature Edition: Love this set, and try to be competitive in any auctions that I see.

91669.jpg

4. 2009 Upper Deck SP Legendary Cuts "Classic Signature", "Future Legends" : This set, with the on card autographs, has to be one of the most attractive I have every seen.

110752.jpg

5. Signed Allen & Ginters: If anyone has a Scott Hatteberg 2007 A&G I would pay just about anything for it!

http://www.freedomcardboard.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=119370&start=15

6. Cleveland Browns autographs: Mostly from 1947 to 1993. Still looking for my first Len Ford...one of these days.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Just one collecting focus at the moment: John Olerud. I collect pretty much anything of his.

Been thinking about resurrecting my Blue Jays team set collection which I gave up about 5 or 6 years ago, but I don't want to divert any hobby funds away from my Olerud collection.

- Rod

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
Former Vermont Mountaineers:

Matt Rizzotti
Christian Friedrich
Darin Mastroianni
AJ *******
Blake Lalli
Curt Smith
Dan Merklinger
Dusty Odenbach
Eric Smith
Mike Sheridan
Randy Roth
Mark Sorensen
Jason Mitchell
Alex Kaminsky
Jarren Mathews

Main Collection:
Mark McGwire - everything (autographs, Game Used Memorabilia

Secondary Player Collections:
Ray Lewis- certified Autographed Cards, Game Used Cards, 16x20's
Evan Longoria - certified Autographed Cards, memorabilia
Ed Reed-Certi. Auto'd cards, Game used cards
Logan Morrison- Everything

Set's :
1. IP or "non certified " autographed Allen & Ginters consisting of Big Name Players From Various Years ,
2. autographed 89' Upper Deck cards of the Oakland A's (first goal is 89' World Series Roster and second is to get all the 89' UD's of the team signed)

IP Autographs-
Allen & Ginters,
16x20 Photo's,
11x14 Photo's,
baseballs- only for players who Sweet spot-
milestone Ticket Stubs,
16x20 SI Covers ,
Main Rookie Cards or cards that would look great signed,
Minor League Prospects in South Atlantic League and Florida State League

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Player Collections:
Mark Grace - Everything
Don Zimmer - Everything
Hack Wilson - Game Used Bat Cards
Cap Anson - Modern Issues
Buck O'Neil - Autos Only
Rabbit Maranville - Low Grade Vintage with nice eye appeal
Yogi Berra - Game Used Cards from Donruss brands

Cubs Certified Pack Issued Autos

***** Leaguer Certified Pack Issued Autos

1972 Topps Set

Various Game Used Sets from early 2000s (still working on 2004 Playoff Honors Tandems and 2001 UD Gold Glove Leather Bound)

shayscards79

Aug 17, 2010
Chicago
I don't have an actual player collection.. I collect anything Indianapolis Colts from about the Dickerson/George era until now. Eighty percent of my football is Manning, Harrison, Dickerson, Freeney, Mathis, James, Addai, etc... autos, patches, rookie cards, rare stuff.

I do have random NFL star cards that I want to keep.. .like a Peterson patch auto, Brees auto, Colston auto.. but those are all just one of each player.

I'm the same with my baseball PC... Lincecum Chrome RC auto, Howard auto, Longoria auto, ARod auto, Griffey auto.. but I mostly just do prospects with baseball. Sometimes a I'll find a star auto that I like more than the one in my PC.. I'll buy it and sell the one I already had to help pay for it.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Great thread!  I'll bite....

Graded rookie cards, all four sports.  - this is a six+ year old focus that is always ongoing and a fall back for myself when other things no longer hold my interest.

Topps Base Card New York Mets Collection - To own one copy of every Mets Base Topps Card ever issued (1962-Present).  I am down to needing one card to complete this (shocker....Seaver rookie) - I've worked on this on and off since 2003.

Topps Heritage Baseball Sets in Sheets/Binder, 2001 - Present.  I'm down to one 2008 and six 2011 cards to finish this one.

PSA 9 graded base cards of HOFers that I've seen play during my lifetime.
   I started this one last year,and it's lost a bit of steam.  I am shifting this focus to concentrate on George Brett and Mike Schmidt.

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
Have a few:

Started the monster (t 206) in sgc 40. Up to 48 and getting scans up on my site. I plan to do the set in 40 grade except the hof and sp guys. Plan on sgc 20 for those.

1960 topps in psa 7.

Mike schmidt in psa 9.

Chase utley topps/bowman only.

Every phillies base card, all sets. Have this almost complete from 1977-present.

Ttm, working on sspc and my usuals, heritage, chicle, 206. I only like the "cardboard" ttm.

Have some small 08 phillies things working..

That's it lol.

Members online

Latest posts