Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

DOE wish there was a separate Prospect forum here on FCB

Do you ever wish there was a separate Prospect forum here on FCB?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Does anybody else ever wish there was a separate Prospect forum here on FCB? I am someone who is not against prospecting, as I infrequently dabble in it. But there is SOOO much prospect talk on the main baseball board that it's really starting to wear on me and I sometimes find myself browsing other boards now in an attempt to get away from the prospect talk here. I am only curious if anyone else feels the same way I do. This isn't a "prospect/prospector bashing" thread, as I understand that it's a big part of the hobby and I'm fine with that. I'm just trying to gauge whether or not anyone feels the way I do about it on the main boards.

tonsofcommons

Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
Alot of times yes, but this board is SO HEAVILY full of prospectors, you will never get away from it.

There are some times when someone talks about someone being hot that I have benefited by reading the post, but most of the time, I couldn't care less.

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
If there was a separate prospect forum this forum would be dead.I just get my fill of non prospect related stuff on other boards.Lets face it,this board is dominated by prospectors and that shouldn't change because that is how it has always been.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
There is no reason, IMO, that you need to break up the two parts and doing so would end up with a very slow non-prospect board. The members push the traffic and so far we dont have enough members to push those types of posts.

ljw29

Feb 3, 2010
phillyfan0417 said:
There is no reason, IMO, that you need to break up the two parts and doing so would end up with a very slow non-prospect board. The members push the traffic and so far we dont have enough members to push those types of posts.

Agreed, you would have one forum with constant new posts and the other with stuff from a few days ago on top page

ljw29

Feb 3, 2010
chashawk said:
Actually, just to play dev. adv. here, The Morning Thread would end up on the non-prospect board, so there would be constant activity...

Of one thread, so that would be three days of them on the front page?

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
ljw29 said:
chashawk said:
Actually, just to play dev. adv. here, The Morning Thread would end up on the non-prospect board, so there would be constant activity...

I don't think it would be nearly as bad as you are saying it would be. I know I would post more there because I wouldn't have to leave FCB to find MLB/MLB hobby discussion. I would probably rarely visit the Prospect forum.

ljw29

Feb 3, 2010
sportscardtheory said:
ljw29 said:
chashawk said:

I don't think it would be nearly as bad as you are saying it would be. I know I would post more there because I wouldn't have to leave FCB to find MLB/MLB hobby discussion. I would probably rarely visit the Prospect forum.

It might not be as bad but it would be close and it would be a snails pace in there.

And sorry you do not like scrolling through pages for a discussion

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
sportscardtheory said:
Heck, even a "Hardcore MLB Talk" forum would suffice, for those who want to get away from the prospect talk for awhile.

The was a vintage board that was started under probably the same argument, I think there have been less that a 100 posts and thats been around for month in the transaction area. You dont have to be involved in any discussion you dont want to since its your choice to click on a thread.

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
Here are the problems with this idea

A) Chris and John don't want to split traffic. That is understandable. We may not have a ton of members, but what we do have are very active. Due to our numbers, it's best not to split our traffic.

B) People would have to be active. Everyone will say that they will be, but not everyone will follow through. People requested a vintage trade forum. It was created and it's a ghost town. I'm not saying that it's never used, but there are a bunch of tumbleweeds in there.

Believe me, I would love to be able to see the topics I enjoy instead of a million topics on who is the next greatest player ever. Or how so and so hit a line drive so he's guaranteed to hit 10,000 home runs. It all hurts my head. That's how it is here. I still find threads of interest, just not normally in baseball.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
phillyfan0417 said:
sportscardtheory said:
Heck, even a "Hardcore MLB Talk" forum would suffice, for those who want to get away from the prospect talk for awhile.

The was a vintage board that was started under probably the same argument, I think there have been less that a 100 posts and thats been around for month in the transaction area. You dont have to be involved in any discussion you dont want to since its your choice to click on a thread.

Well, using that same argument, why not have one single forum for all talk. People can just not click on the threads they don't want to click on.

sneekc

Feb 1, 2009
sportscardtheory said:
Does anybody else ever wish there was a separate Prospect forum here on FCB? I am someone who is not against prospecting, as I infrequently dabble in it. But there is SOOO much prospect talk on the main baseball board that it's really starting to wear on me and I sometimes find myself browsing other boards now in an attempt to get away from the prospect talk here. I am only curious if anyone else feels the same way I do. This isn't a "prospect/prospector bashing" thread, as I understand that it's a big part of the hobby and I'm fine with that. I'm just trying to gauge whether or not anyone feels the way I do about it on the main boards.

We should have a separate forum for people who passive aggressively whine about "too much prospect talk"

"You know what really grinds my gears? People in the 19th century. Why don't they get with the freakin program? It's called an automobile, folks. It's much faster than a horse!"

sportscardtheory said:

You could just turn off your computer instead.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
muskiesfan said:
Here are the problems with this idea

A) Chris and John don't want to split traffic. That is understandable. We may not have a ton of members, but what we do have are very active. Due to our numbers, it's best not to split our traffic.

B) People would have to be active. Everyone will say that they will be, but not everyone will follow through. People requested a vintage trade forum. It was created and it's a ghost town. I'm not saying that it's never used, but there are a bunch of tumbleweeds in there.

Believe me, I would love to be able to see the topics I enjoy instead of a million topics on who is the next greatest player ever. Or how so and so hit a line drive so he's guaranteed to hit 10,000 home runs. It all hurts my head. That's how it is here. I still find threads of interest, just not normally in baseball.

88 posts in 10 months, not even 2 pages.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
sneekc said:
sportscardtheory said:

We should have a separate forum for people who passive aggressively whine about "too much prospect talk"

"You know what really grinds my gears? People in the 19th century. Why don't they get with the freakin program? It's called an automobile, folks. It's much faster than a horse!"

I think that you should read-up on the term "passive aggressive" before throwing it around like you know something.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
sportscardtheory said:
phillyfan0417 said:
sportscardtheory said:

Well, using that same argument, why not have one single forum for all talk. People can just not click on the threads they don't want to click on.

No because that doesnt make sense. This is baseball talk and is for talking baseball. Now you want to break down the topics even further and that is the problem. Its not the same argument at all.

ljw29

Feb 3, 2010
phillyfan0417 said:
sportscardtheory said:
phillyfan0417 said:
sportscardtheory said:

No because that doesnt make sense. This is baseball talk and is for talking baseball. Now you want to break down the topics even further and that is the problem. Its not the same argument at all.

Agreed, and its not that much work to use a mouse click to go to the second or third page and respond to something :eek:

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
phillyfan0417 said:
sportscardtheory said:
phillyfan0417 said:
sportscardtheory said:

I'm not "calling" for it. I simply asked if anyone else feels the same way I do. And according to the poll, many do.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts