Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

65 Years Ago Today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Just trying something different.

They Gone!

Boston, Massachusetts - Fourteen Chicago White Sox were ejected from a game against the Boston Red Sox on this date in 1946. It all started when White Sox pitcher Joe Haynes put Red Sox slugger Ted Williams on his fanny, the result of a pitch too far inside. Umpire Red Jones gave Haynes a warning. Here's how the Associated Press described what happened next, "A chorus of yammering from the Chicago bench resulted in [Umpire] Jones ordering four White Sox players from the bench - Ralph Hodgin, Dario Lodigianl, Ed Smith and Bling Miller." The "yammerin" didn't stop. Before the game was over 14 White Sox were ordered from the dugout for making derisive comments about Jones' vision and judgment. The Red Sox went on to win easily 9-2, and increase their lead against the second place New York Yankees to 11½ games.

A story surfaced some days after the mass exodus of White Sox players that it wasn't the players doing the yammering. It was, get this, a ventriloquist in the stands. If you read John Branch's 2006 story from the New York Times you'll find that the facts kind of get in the way of a good story.

The Red Sox went on to win the American League pennant in 1946 (this was before division play) before losing to the St. Louis Cardinals in the World Series.

http://www.todayinbaseball.com/cms/071910-ejected

carlitoson

Aug 7, 2008
Holy crap dude! I bet you feel naked without the "P" icon!

I'm just giving you a hard time since you seemed to set yourself up for it. No malice intended. :)

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
carlitoson said:
Holy crap dude! I bet you feel naked without the "P" icon!

Nah. >>>> viewtopic.php?f=2&t=140319

Just testing the waters to see what reaction this type of thread would get. I like to peruse through baseball history, in case no one was aware.

scooter2374

Jul 4, 2010
New Jersey
That just made my day. I love the history of the game, I think it's what makes baseball what it is. Granted rules change, sometimes by leaps and bounds, but baseball is easily recognizable to anyone of any age( in the U.S. anyway)

hoopster3977

Jun 22, 2010
Upper Peninsula
Incidents like this have made me a baseball fan. Love the history, I remember more about baseball facts and lore from the 60's &70's than from the 80's and 90's. Maybe the cancelling of the World Series had a lot to do with this.

Thanks for posting J.P.!

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
Bobby Doerr went 3-4 2RBI BB 2R :D Getting his 76th and 77th RBIs that game. :cool:

Our pitcher, Bill Zuber, pitched a CG with 0ER but 2UER....does that still count as a CG SHO :?:

Members online

Latest posts