Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Video Cards for other Sports - what about baseball?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
I was looking at some basketball cards this evening when I noticed some crazy sales - they are for video cards.

[phil:1xw1f1xp]230648771120[/phil:1xw1f1xp]
[phil:1xw1f1xp]300579508511[/phil:1xw1f1xp]

The most recent product these have shown up in is Panini Totally Certified - and they are selling like crazy.

However, UD put them out in some football products - example here [phil:1xw1f1xp]390323851083[/phil:1xw1f1xp] and here [phil:1xw1f1xp]300577763052[/phil:1xw1f1xp]

So my question to you is, is this something you'd like to see enter the baseball card market or no? Would you be interested in owning something like it or is this Sportflics 25 years later ;)

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
Hard to say. It would be kinda cool I suppose, but only if done right. The only thing I am worried about is if Topps does them, how many variations do you think there would be?

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
A video card?

If I wanna see video of a player I can grab my phone out of my pocket... jump on youtube and BOOM.. videos of Pujols, Griffey, Longoria and many many others. Plus I can make a call... listen to music... search the web.... all on that little phone. What does the card do besides showing u the video I can already see on youtube.

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008
I thought I read this week that panini and UD were being sued over these by the patent holder....

Maybe Topps (and Leaf) were smart to wait when offered the "technology"..

BG

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Junior Griffey said:
Books are dead. Buy a kindle. I'm not a fan of these video books unless I pull one and can sell it for a good profit.

I have to say I agree...some gimmick cards are cool, these just don't do it for me.

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
P_Manning 18 said:
A video card?

If I wanna see video of a player I can grab my phone out of my pocket... jump on youtube and BOOM.. videos of Pujols, Griffey, Longoria and many many others. Plus I can make a call... listen to music... search the web.... all on that little phone. What does the card do besides showing u the video I can already see on youtube.

If I want to see 2.5x3.5 inch image of a player I can pull out my phone and do a google image search.

All cards are pointless, so I don't get why these are any worse. At least they do "something" other than just exist. That might interest a younger generation when it comes to collecting. I don't think the next generation of collectors is going to be all that impressed with a nickel sized swatch of white fabric.

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Tomlinson21RB said:
P_Manning 18 said:
A video card?

If I want to see 2.5x3.5 inch image of a player I can pull out my phone and do a google image search.

All cards are pointless, so I don't get why these are any worse. At least they do "something" other than just exist. That might interest a younger generation when it comes to collecting. I don't think the next generation of collectors is going to be all that impressed with a nickel sized swatch of white fabric.

But at least with GU there's some rarity too it, I mean even if there are hundreds, there are only so many GU Jerseys. They could make millions of video cards...there's absolutely no limit.

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
masonphillip said:
Tomlinson21RB said:
P_Manning 18 said:
A video card?

But at least with GU there's some rarity too it, I mean even if there are hundreds, there are only so many GU Jerseys. They could make millions of video cards...there's absolutely no limit.

Wow, I never thought I'd hear a rarity argument used in favor of GU. I get your point, but it's like anything else. If they get overdone then they lose value and the interest of collectors. Remember when GU cards were rare? When UD put out the first set my buddy pulled a Reggie Miller and sold it for over $300. Not numbered and no patch or autograph. Just a plain yellow swatch.

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Tomlinson21RB said:
masonphillip said:
Tomlinson21RB said:
P_Manning 18 said:
A video card?

Wow, I never thought I'd hear a rarity argument used in favor of GU. I get your point, but it's like anything else. If they get overdone then they lose value and the interest of collectors. Remember when GU cards were rare? When UD put out the first set my buddy pulled a Reggie Miller and sold it for over $300. Not numbered and no patch or autograph. Just a plain yellow swatch.

Agreed, it is certainly a relative comparison as we all know plain GU isn't rare but its more rare than 1991 Topps...and they couldn't make as many copies of a GU card as they could 1991 Topps, even if they wanted too...GU cards have been overdone in some ways and that value has certainly been lost but at least limits on how many could be produced still exist at least a little bit.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
To be honest, it's uncessesary to take cards in this direction. They are what they are. Why do they need to evolve into something they aren't? I'm all for innovation but this seems to kind of defeat the purpose of cards. Why not just collect video clips of players if that is your thing? It would be the same as replacing all the pictures on your walls at your home/apt with miniature video recorders that replay whatever it is you had a pciture of. What's wrong with the paintings or pictures? Need Harry Potter-like pictures to be entertained?

Members online