Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

BAB Top Five Prospects List: AL West

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wes

OG
Administrator
Jaypers said:
Cueto is not a good comparison for Walden, IMO.

Sorry one thing I didn't clear up in these is that my comparisons aren't necessarily what type of player they will reflect but their actual major league effectiveness statistically. Not sure if that impacts our difference of opinion but since it differs from the way that many compare/evaluate prospects I figured I would add that.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Maybe my school grade history is coming into play here...but why would a prospect graded a "B" be lower than a prospect graded a "C"?

1. Nick Adenhart - B+
2. Jordan Walden - B
3. Trevor Reckling - B-
4. Peter Bourjos - C
5. Hank Conger - B

Wes

OG
Administrator
200lbhockeyplayer said:
Maybe my school grade history is coming into play here...but why would a prospect graded a "B" be lower than a prospect graded a "C"?

Yeah I did that in a bunch of the lists - grades were more indicative of where they would stand in comparison to all prospects in the game, rankings are reflective of how well I think they'll help their individual team. Weird I know.

bigpapiMA32

Aug 7, 2008
Monterey, CA
LLWesMan said:
200lbhockeyplayer said:

Yeah I did that in a bunch of the lists - grades were more indicative of where they would stand in comparison to all prospects in the game, rankings are reflective of how well I think they'll help their individual team. Weird I know.

But wouldn't Conger help the team more since he's a catcher rather than an outfielder like Bourjos? Halos seem to need quality catching more than OF. Just my $0.02

Wes

OG
Administrator
bigpapiMA32 said:
LLWesMan said:
200lbhockeyplayer said:

But wouldn't Conger help the team more since he's a catcher rather than an outfielder like Bourjos? Halos seem to need quality catching more than OF. Just my $0.02

Angels have two catchers and Conger might end up as a DH. Vladdy is about toast in the OF. As far as 4/5 we're really splitting hairs :)

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
LLWesMan said:
Jaypers said:
LLWesMan said:
Added the Rangers - should stir up some thoughts...

Comparing Holland to Kershaw?

Ruh roh, raggy....

Ha figured you'd be the first to jump on this one - who would you compare him with?

I wouldn't. I do think that's a lofty expectation, though.

Wes

OG
Administrator
Jaypers said:
LLWesMan said:
Jaypers said:
LLWesMan said:
Added the Rangers - should stir up some thoughts...

Comparing Holland to Kershaw?

Ruh roh, raggy....

Ha figured you'd be the first to jump on this one - who would you compare him with?

I wouldn't. I do think that's a lofty expectation, though.

Fair enough - some of these guys, including Holland, were really tough to figure - especially the really young ones. Because of his lefthandedness and velocity there weren't too many guys to compare him to so I picked the one who has the least amount of track record MLB wise.

Members online

Latest posts