Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2011 Bowman Platinum - variations?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VizquelCollector.com

Jul 31, 2009
I accidentally stumbled across a new card of John McDonald from 2011 Bowman Platinum. I've always been a fan and started a PC of him, now only missing 1 (non-1/1) card. So I was thrilled when I saw this pop up!

However I see that there are at least 2 variations, one is /1166 and the other is /99. Are there others available? I didn't see him even listed on the checklist...

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
I can't believe Topps would put John McDonald in the Platinum auto checklist. No offense to John, but when I think of him, I don't think Platinum, I think Aluminum.

VizquelCollector.com

Jul 31, 2009
DeliciousBacon said:
I can't believe Topps would put John McDonald in the Platinum auto checklist. No offense to John, but when I think of him, I don't think Platinum, I think Aluminum.

Yeah, I was shocked (happily) that he was in anything at all!

Anyone know what other parallels/variations I should look for? The sell sheet doesn't provide useful info on this.

MGiuseffi

Aug 22, 2008
The #/1166 is the base Auto Relic Refractor. Here are the parallels/variations:

· Super-Fractor Patch 1 of 1 – Hobby Only

· Red Refractor Patch #’d to 10!

· Gold Refractor Patch #’d to 25!

· Blue Refractor #’d to 99!

· Green Refractor #’d to 199!

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
It looks like the /1199 are the base auto/relics, and the /99 are the Blue Refractors. There's Green Refractors /199, Gold /25, Red /10, and Super Patch /1. Sportscardradio has that info, but the checklist still has TBAs listed. It's a mixed bag, some stars, some rookies and young players, but John McDonald really sticks out on the checklist. Is this his first auto/relic card? I don't remember seeing him with either in the past. I know I would be kinda pissed if I bought a box and my relics were McDonald and Leo Nunez (or Franklin Morales, or Edwin Encarnacion).

EDIT: Just noticed a Brad Emaus RC in the base set. Did Topps put this set together in early April then sit on it for thre months?

VizquelCollector.com

Jul 31, 2009
DeliciousBacon said:
It looks like the /1199 are the base auto/relics, and the /99 are the Blue Refractors. There's Green Refractors /199, Gold /25, Red /10, and Super Patch /1. Sportscardradio has that info, but the checklist still has TBAs listed. It's a mixed bag, some stars, some rookies and young players, but John McDonald really sticks out on the checklist. Is this his first auto/relic card? I don't remember seeing him with either in the past. I know I would be kinda pissed if I bought a box and my relics were McDonald and Leo Nunez (or Franklin Morales, or Edwin Encarnacion).

EDIT: Just noticed a Brad Emaus RC in the base set. Did Topps put this set together in early April then sit on it for thre months?

Thanks guys!

It's not McDonald's first auto, he had one maybe 6 or 7 years back. I forget the set, but I've seen some people post they were working on the entire set.

I understand completely someone being disappointed with pulling him, but I'd be happy to take them off your hands if you do!

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
According to Beckett, his only AU is 2000 Topps Traded, and this is his first GU. I went to the same college as he did, but I'm not interested in him enough to care about his cards. He's killed the Sox a few times so he's dead to me! :lol:

VizquelCollector said:
DeliciousBacon said:

Thanks guys!

It's not McDonald's first auto, he had one maybe 6 or 7 years back. I forget the set, but I've seen some people post they were working on the entire set.

I understand completely someone being disappointed with pulling him, but I'd be happy to take them off your hands if you do!

carlitoson

Aug 7, 2008
From a collecting point of view rather than a monetary one, that's a great card. I know that's not an easy perspective to take if you're chunking down a hundred bucks for a box of cards though.

Down the road as a collector, I'd rather have an auto of a guy who put together a 13+ year career in the bigs than some guy who (while hot at the time) never even made it. I have a lot of the latter BTW. :lol:

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
What are the print runs of the base variations ? Does anyone have that info ? :?

Members online