Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Ebay the black hole.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

I've been noticing something weird with my ebay listings.... Last couple of months I have been throwing things up with BIN/BO strictly. Usually the day after listing a few BIN's are hit and a ton of BO's. I respond to the BO's and some take the counter offer.
Then...... for the next month all my listings fall into the black hole.....nothing, maybe 1 BO, but thats it...
Then when the BIN's come to the end of their 28 day life span I notice a few of the BIN's get hit (after sitting their for 4 weeks!). I guess people just look at auctions closing in the next 24 hrs? Why pay full price (BIN) when the auction is about to close? (I know they figure I will not respond to a BO in time). But it seems weird to me that an item sits on the shelf for a month and when its about to close it gets snapped up....

Then there is the other side to the story. Ebay automatically relists the items that did not sell. (They sat for 4 weeks with no interest). Then again within the first day of the re-listing, my BIN's are hit!

I guess most ebayers look at items closing and just listed and nothing in between. I am thinking about changing all my future BIN/BO to 28 day auctions rather than good till canceled....

Just another black hole story...... ;)

tikitomoka

Jul 27, 2009
Mine have a two-week cycle generally where i sell 8-15 things in one week, and don't get an offer for the next week after. Also, appropriately enough, I've noticed that offers slow down when I have a decent amount of things that have to be mailed out. Guess that's a good coincidence, though.

hiroler

Oct 26, 2010
Ebay encourages this search method and advertises items ending soon so people choose shorter auctions durations...shorter listings = more listings = more revenue. Bidding with more than 10 seconds left is just stupid, IMO.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
I always thought cards went for more from early/mid-February until about mid-June, and fall off a cliff around the WS depending on which teams are playing.

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
Typically you get lots of early action due to the saved searches feature that alerts collectors looking for that item its been listed.

Once the folks that get the auto emails see the item and decide to pass you are left up to people doing normal searching to find and buy the item which will take much longer.

I think people also look at their items watched page which is sorted by date ending soonest so if you have a item listed to never end they will have to scroll thrrough all their watched items to see it and bid.

Members online