Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Heck of a night for Gary Sanchez!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
And yet they say he's still considered to be a better catcher than Montero.

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
It's a lot, but over the season, he's gotten much better with the PBs and at this level you can put a lot of the SB blame on the pitchers. Not too many know how to hold a runner.

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
bradical said:
http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=t233&t=g_box&gid=2011_07_28_crdafx_capafx_1

Seven stolen bases allowed, zero runners caught and passed ball #26 on the season.

But, he did go 2-for-5 with a 2B, 3B, and 2 RBI at the dish.

I am sure it was the pitchers fault for not holding the runners on better :lol:

SeattleSports

Jun 11, 2010
D-Lite said:
It's a lot, but over the season, he's gotten much better with the PBs and at this level you can put a lot of the SB blame on the pitchers. Not too many know how to hold a runner.

I'm sorry but are you serious? I know you're invested in him, but hes atrocious defensively.

Y4NK335

Aug 7, 2008
TBD
frzg said:
D-Lite said:

I'm sorry but are you serious? I know you're invested in him, but hes atrocious defensively.

Serious question. How many times have you seen him catch in person?

SeattleSports

Jun 11, 2010
Y4NK335 said:
frzg said:
D-Lite said:

Serious question. How many times have you seen him catch in person?

Serious answer, zero. But I've read many scouts that HAVE seen him in person and get paid to gauge talent and they have said he doesn't have said defensive talent. I also haven't seen Bryce Harper in person, but I've read a few scouts say hes going to be pretty good. Is this really a point you're making here?

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
frzg said:
D-Lite said:

I am serious. Sure he's had some ups and downs this season, but he's been much better defensively lately and it is for sure true that the lower levels are SB crazy. In the GCL last year he threw out 9 of 48 SB attempts (in 18 games!), not great. But in 12 games at Staten Island he threw out 7 of 13. You can't judge much of the defense at this level, there's just no way, especially with the second youngest player in the league and being a catcher.

Compare that to Romine, whom people think is quite good:
2009 at A+ : 30% CS rate
2010 at AA : 23% CS rate

Were those great numbers? Average for the most part. And no one will argue that Sanchez is the better catcher, but the scouts just last season were saying that Sanchez has a good chance to be a decent defensive catcher.

And please don't use Harper as a comparison. Catchers and pitchers are special cases, especially in the low minors. Takes years for catchers to develop the skills.

aminors

Aug 7, 2008
Southern IN
frzg said:
D-Lite said:

Yes, he's serious. Most of his passed balls were from the first month and a half-two months of the season. He racked up like 20+ of those things pretty early in the season. Lately, he hasn't been letting up a lot of PBs. I know, I'm invested in him, so I'm "biased"...or so you think.

He's been atrocious defensively and there's no hiding that. The stats are terrible. I'm just saying that he has been good at all behind the plate, because he hasn't. But D-Lite was being completely serious. He HAS been a LOT better lately with those.

SeattleSports

Jun 11, 2010
aminors said:
frzg said:
D-Lite said:

Yes, he's serious. Most of his passed balls were from the first month and a half-two months of the season. He racked up like 20+ of those things pretty early in the season. Lately, he hasn't been letting up a lot of PBs. I know, I'm invested in him, so I'm "biased"...or so you think.

He's been atrocious defensively and there's no hiding that. The stats are terrible. I'm just saying that he has been good at all behind the plate, because he hasn't. But D-Lite was being completely serious. He HAS been a LOT better lately with those.

The "are you serious" comment was directed at the blame of pitchers for not holding runners on.

aminors

Aug 7, 2008
Southern IN
frzg said:
aminors said:
frzg said:
D-Lite said:

The "are you serious" comment was directed at the blame of pitchers for not holding runners on.

Gotcha. I honestly think that in some circumstances (pitchers with very slow, exaggerated deliveries), the pitcher has no chance unless he has a Yadier Molina-like arm. Not saying that's what happened, but that is one instance during which the pitcher CAN be to blame. There must have been something up...he's been catching runners a little lately and 7 steals allowed is completely uncharacteristic even for Gary. Either he had an off night or something was weird.

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
frzg said:
You've never heard of this before? I'm serious and it is a common occurrence. Pitchers in the lower levels are strictly working on pitching and the running game is wild. Check around the minors and see what kind of SB numbers you see. It's much higher in the lower levels.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
So, every catcher in the minor leagues who can't throw anyone out to save their lives can blame it on Lower level minor league pitchers NOT being able to hold anyone on? Seems like one hell of a blanket excuse to me.

Can it be true in some cases? Yep, it is even the case in the bigs some times. But to say a prospect like Sanchez is being killed by his pitching staff is definitely a reach.

There is a reason why every publication I have read says he won't stick behind the dish. And it is not because his pitchers don't hold runners.

aminors

Aug 7, 2008
Southern IN
Mudcatsfan said:
This isnt just a message board guy making excuses. real baseball scouts say this all the time

But because the people who are invested in him are the only ones who give enough of a damn to get in this thread and defend blind blanket statements, it looks like we're making excuses.

For example, I learned from a recent convo with Gilmore that Brian McCann isn't THAT bad at catching runners..Tommy Hanson is statistically the worst pitcher in the MLB at holding runners with 26 steals against(ESPN.com). Give him a pitcher who doesn't suck at holding runners, like Jair Jurrjens, and he's 14SB/8CS.

Thanks Gilmore.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
aminors said:
Mudcatsfan said:
This isnt just a message board guy making excuses. real baseball scouts say this all the time

But because the people who are invested in him are the only ones who give enough of a damn to get in this thread and defend blind blanket statements, it looks like we're making excuses.

For example, I learned from a recent convo with Gilmore that Brian McCann isn't THAT bad at catching runners..Tommy Hanson is statistically the worst pitcher in the MLB at holding runners with 26 steals against(ESPN.com). Give him a pitcher who doesn't suck at holding runners, like Jair Jurrjens, and he's 14SB/8CS.

Thanks Gilmore.

Ant, I agree. And it can also work the other way. Pitchers who are excellent at holding runners who make poor defensive catchers look better. Greg Maddux singled handled pumped up the caught stealing statistics of each one of his catchers....It definitely works both ways.

skrip

Members online

Latest posts