Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Shut the Front Door Charlie Manuel!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
We did not initiate this from what I tried looking for. The phillies are an elite team and have a massive offense. Giants beat them in the NLCS, we beat them at home last series. We beat their second best pitcher (who is very dominant). But I believe there was no reason for Manuel to say this. Instead of words, just leave it to the game to decide. And how is Lincecum not great. 2 cy youngs, lead the NL in strikeouts last 4 years, all-star 4 years straight. Beat cliff lee twice in the WS who is NOW on the phillies. I;m not hating on the phillies, or the fans but honestly uncalled for.Also i love the last part of the article. Manuel you are dumb. And lincecum and cain pitched a total of 13 innings of 0ER ball/end rant.

CINCINNATI -- One day after throwing 101 pitches at Philadelphia, Tim Lincecum had some stuff left as he fired a few well-placed verbal fastballs in reacting to comments made by Phillies manager Charlie Manuel.

Though Lincecum earned the decision in the Giants' 4-1 victory Thursday by allowing three hits and striking out six in six shutout innings, Manuel described the right-hander's performance with remarks that some considered at least mildly disparaging: "Tonight I saw 90 [mph] fastball, 92 at the best. I saw a good changeup. I saw a breaking ball. I saw a cutter. Good pitching, but at the same time we can beat that. I've seen us do that."

Told on Friday what Manuel said, Lincecum had a ready response.

Manuel on facing Lincecum
00:04:36
7/28/11: Phillies manager Charlie Manuel talks about how Giants starter Tim Lincecum handled Philadelphia's lineup following the 4-1 loss
Tags: More From This Game, Charlie Manuel, press conference, Philadelphia PhilliesShare:
Facebook
Twitter
Email
Related Video

Lincecum's scoreless start

Zito picks off Mayberry

Zito's stellar start
"You can be dominant and throw 85. Regardless, a guy's going to say he can hit that," Lincecum said. "Or you can throw 97 and he'll say he can hit that, too. When it comes down to it, it's all about execution."

The Giants, who defeated Philadelphia in last year's National League Championship Series, handed the Phillies their first consecutive home defeats since April 18-19 and their first back-to-back losses anywhere since June 3-4 while ending their streak of nine series victories in a row. Referring to all that, Lincecum added, "I'm sure he was just speaking out of frustration and dealing with their first home series loss. It's something they're not used to. Maybe it has something to do with how things went last year in the LCS. I have no idea. You'll have to ask him."

In response to a question, Manuel also refrained from lavishing excessive praise upon Lincecum and Matt Cain, who combined to allow Philadelphia zero earned runs and seven hits in 13 innings.

"They're good pitchers. You say they're great pitchers," Manuel said. "To me, I don't know how great they are. I think as they move on into their careers, there's the longevity part and things like that. I think that's when the greatness might come by."

Lincecum didn't dispute the good-versus-great issue. He did imply that there's no substitute for effectiveness, regardless of how it's achieved.

"Cainer was probably throwing the same kind of [velocity] that I was throwing up there," Lincecum said. "He doesn't try to hump up unless he necessarily has to. He still dominates teams. So I don't know what miles per hour has to do with dominance."

Then came Lincecum's coup de grace. "They had a guy [named] Moyer, right?" That would be Jamie Moyer, the soft-tossing left-hander who compiled a 267-204 record in 24 seasons, including 56-40 with Philadelphia from 2006-10.

zbdub808

Nov 12, 2010
i can't believe he would say that...Cain has been in the league since '05 and Lincecum had an ERA of 3.49 last year that was a down year.

zbdub808

Nov 12, 2010
zbdub808 said:
i can't believe he would say that...Cain has been in the league since '05 and Lincecum had an ERA of 3.49 last year that was a down year.

and Lincecum was just saying subtly we kicked your ass.

JTfor3

Mar 5, 2009
zbdub808 said:

My God... are the Giants the most thin-skinned fan-base known to man? Sheesh...talk about a chip on your shoulder.

fengzhang

Aug 10, 2008
Chicago, IL
It's just typical trash talking. Obviously, Lincecum is great. 6 IP 3 hits 0ER. I wouldn't worry too much about it. When these two teams meet in the playoffs, it will be epic.

ral72

Aug 8, 2008
Schwenksville, PA
...And then Charlie Manuel said that Lincecum is a long-haired hippie. And then Lincecum said that Manuel is an old fart. And then they both called each other poopy-head.

Who really freakin' cares??!!

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
ral72 said:
...And then Charlie Manuel said that Lincecum is a long-haired hippie. And then Lincecum said that Manuel is an old fart. And then they both called each other poopy-head.

I think it was unprofessional/un-needed coming from a manager like Charlie.

tm decomposer

Aug 29, 2010
No one cares. Just adds fuel to the fire. I'll take my 5 game winning streak and remain in the hunt for the NL wildcard

alexs64

Jul 28, 2010
Moreno Valley, Ca
This thread is a waste. Sorry, but there was really nothing said in the OP post that should have even been more than a footnote. Why is anyone making a stink out of any of this?

Philadelphia smells like Hot Dog Water and San Francisco smells like Gay Bacon Strips. Who cares.

Zymco

Nov 14, 2008
Bellflower, California
darocker80 said:
ral72 said:

I think it was unprofessional/un-needed coming from a manager like Charlie.

Oh God.

You're right he should've taken lessons on how to be professional from Brian Sabean.

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
you beat our #2 and #6 guy and we beat you with a rookie who wasn't even on the roster last year....I think we
will be alright in the playoffs. LOL

Kevin

ronfromfresno

Aug 7, 2008
Fresno, CA
Sounds like Manuel is affraid of the Giants pitching staff. He's saying that Lincecum didn't look like the great pitcher he normally is and he still held the Phillies scoreless.

On a side note to all the board members who have issues with Giants fans just stop posting in Giants threads and you could even go one step further and not even read them. You come across as the thin skinned ones, constantly trying to piss on Giants fan but missing miserably.

zbdub808

Nov 12, 2010
schmidtfan20 said:
you beat our #2 and #6 guy and we beat you with a rookie who wasn't even on the roster last year....I think we

Kevin

oh and by the way worley pitched last year

ronfromfresno

Aug 7, 2008
Fresno, CA
schmidtfan20 said:

Kevin

We took care of your #1 and #3 last year, no need to worry on the SF side.

8af3227d0ff6af9f-getty-104395105tl040_san_francisc.jpg
ccb453eb1a4c3d18-getty-104395105mh093_san_francisc.jpg
1cbe7babac634f83aca5c6c46d86196d.jpg
610x.jpg

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
ral72 said:

Charlie actually said, " I'ah think that like ah Tim Lincecum is ah like uh a hippy or like he is about the same type of guy who there was in uh San Francisco back when there were a lot of uh hippy guys in San Francisco if you know what i am talking about, you remember the flowers people in San Francisco?"

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
I wish the san fran fans would realize that they won with waiver wire scrubs and caught lightening in a bottle. They hit at the right time with great pitching.

Just take your gift and enjoy it.

Members online

Latest posts