Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Charlie Furbush, Casper Wells and Francisco Martinez to SEA

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
In exchange for Doug Fister and David Pauley.

As reported by DKnobler.

http://twitter.com/#!/DKnobler

Here's a thought. Since Detroit promotes their prospects quickly, and Martinez is a 3B, perhaps Castellanos could get a two-level bump to Erie now? Wouldn't surprise me.

archiebunkerjr

Dec 11, 2008
SmoakBomb said:
Supposedly a 4th player, a "pretty significant name." going to Mariners as well.

I know I shouldn't get work up over this until I hear the official trade. But I saw a Tiger's blog that Jacob Turner had his start scratched for tonight. :(

The original 3 for 2 trade that jp posted is bad enough. If Turner is included, I'm going to have a stroke.

jlyles

Jan 28, 2010
archiebunkerjr said:
SmoakBomb said:
Supposedly a 4th player, a "pretty significant name." going to Mariners as well.

I know I shouldn't get work up over this until I hear the official trade. But I saw a Tiger's blog that Jacob Turner had his start scratched for tonight. :(

The original 3 for 2 trade that jp posted is bad enough. If Turner is included, I'm going to have a stroke.

I read that they were calling him up to start against the Angels.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
archiebunkerjr said:
SmoakBomb said:

Morosi reported less than an hour ago that Turner will indeed start tonight, then be sent back down.

hail2thevictors

Jan 20, 2010
archiebunkerjr said:
SmoakBomb said:

Turner won't be involved in a trade for Fister and Pauley, you can take that to the bank.

As a Tigers fan, this trade isn't that big of a deal to me. We already showed that Furbush was going to be a reliever here, Casper Wells wouldn't have ever been more than a 4th OF here, and Francisco Martinez doesn't mean much if Castellanos lives up to his billing. So in the end, I don't see this trade haunting us or anything down the road.

My only issue is that perhaps we could have gotten more for the package we sent.

chompsmcgee

Jan 24, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
archiebunkerjr said:
SmoakBomb said:

We've yet to hear the centerpiece "4th player" for the M's in this deal. It most certainly won't be Turner, however.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
I dont see how the Tigers got killed here at all. Those Tigers players are marginal at best

archiebunkerjr

Dec 11, 2008
hail2thevictors said:
archiebunkerjr said:
SmoakBomb said:

Turner won't be involved in a trade for Fister and Pauley, you can take that to the bank.

As a Tigers fan, this trade isn't that big of a deal to me. We already showed that Furbush was going to be a reliever here, Casper Wells wouldn't have ever been more than a 4th OF here, and Francisco Martinez doesn't mean much if Castellanos lives up to his billing. So in the end, I don't see this trade haunting us or anything down the road.

My only issue is that perhaps we could have gotten more for the package we sent.

I totally agree with your last sentence.

I was really hoping the Tigers would have found room for Wells next year. Magglio needs to go. Magglio's defense is horribly sub-par and he doesn't have the bat any more to make up for the horrible defense. The Tigers' outfield next year shapes up to be Jackson, Boesch and Dirks. Wells certainly would help.

This trade reaks of desperation.

archiebunkerjr

Dec 11, 2008
jcmint said:
I dont see how the Tigers got killed here at all. Those Tigers players are marginal at best

Wells is solid. I expect him to start everyday in Seattle. Martinez is young with pop in his bat.

I just don't envision Fister being anything better than a .500 pitcher.

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
archiebunkerjr said:
jcmint said:

Wells is solid. I expect him to start everyday in Seattle. Martinez is young with pop in his bat.

Fister can be a lot more than a .500 pitcher. The guy has gotten no run support at all this year and has pitched VERY well. I personally would rather have seen the M's throw Vargas out there instead of Fister. With all that said, I don't know much about the kids they're getting back and am very interested who the fourth "significant" piece will be ...

chompsmcgee

Jan 24, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
archiebunkerjr said:
jcmint said:

Results-wise he's very similar to Porcello (check out the numbers at fangraphs). Both are pitch-to-contact types but Rick has better stuff. Fister's stuff isn't very impressive but his command is and he has improved a lot this year, especially with reaching back and getting the strikeout when he needs it.

In the long run Porcello should be better but right now I'd say Doug Fister is the 3rd best starter on the Tigers.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Sly said:
archiebunkerjr said:
jcmint said:

Fister can be a lot more than a .500 pitcher. The guy has gotten no run support at all this year and has pitched VERY well. I personally would rather have seen the M's throw Vargas out there instead of Fister. With all that said, I don't know much about the kids they're getting back and am very interested who the fourth "significant" piece will be ...

Yah, i don't know why folks bust on Fister. I mean, I hardly know her!

Anyways, he's put up a sub-4.00 FIP for a couple of years and around a 4 xFIP. That is a great #3 or #4. He doesn't have the big fastball, but he gets guys out. Yes, he's went 3-12 and 6-14, but I'm pretty sure you have to be a moron to judge a pitcher by his win-loss record.

He walks no one and should contribute.

Do you think Martinez is really *that* good? I know this board ALWAYS overrates prospects, but Detroit got two players that'll help. So yah, I think it's a good trade for both organizations given their current needs. Fister is under team control for a while and has one more year before arb, i think.

SeattleSports

Jun 11, 2010
archiebunkerjr said:
Seattle just stole Detroit blind.

Are you on drugs? As of now, Detroit COMPLETELY got the better end of the deal. Both Pauley and his 2.15 ERA w/ .99 WHIP and Fister are under club control until 2015. If the 4th player isn't a top 10 Detroit prospect, Seattle was taken to the woodshed.

archiebunkerjr

Dec 11, 2008
frzg said:
archiebunkerjr said:

Are you on drugs? As of now, Detroit COMPLETELY got the better end of the deal. Both Pauley and his 2.15 ERA w/ .99 WHIP and Fister are under club control until 2015. If the 4th player isn't a top 10 Detroit prospect, Seattle was taken to the woodshed.

Pauley's numbers are good now but he is pitching out of his skull right now. I'll eat my words if he puts up those kind of numbers for the Tigers but I'm not holding my breath. I almost want to say the same thing about Fister but he has a more proven track record.

Another poster commented on Fister's command. I have seen him pitch twice this year and his command was very good. But what happens when he loses that command? As I referenced earlier, I just don't envision Fister being anything more than a .500 pitcher. There were other guys like that on the market who could have been had for less.

I'm also a believer in Wells. He will get every opportunity to start in Seattle. Wells got a lot of fan support for his limited play. There are going to be a lot of Detroit fans like myself that don't want to see him go.

I hope some of you guys are right. I hope the Tigers got the better end of this deal. Time will tell.

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
frzg said:
archiebunkerjr said:

Pauley's 2.15 ERA is good, but you do know that as of 6/13, he had a sub-1.00 ERA. Since that time he's got a 5.00+ ERA and a 1.50+ WHIP.

As for Fister, I can only assume Jack Z. thinks Furbush can pitch just as well, and Furbush is two years younger than Fister. I like Fister and wish they hadn't traded him, but if Furbush can pitch the way Fister has, then it'll all be good. If Wells can be a solid player, then the M's definitely make out here.

Members online