Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Thoughts on a couple of 3rd basemen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
A couple of 3rd basemen have caught my attention recently.

The first is Evan Longoria. It has been a tough year for him obviously, with the injuries, and the batting average has been way below his standards (though he is hitting with some power.) His cards have softened to some degree. His Base Bowman Chrome Auto has stayed pretty strong, but a bunch of the higher-end parallels are down, especially graded, some close to 50%. (A blue ref. 9.5 went for under $300, a ref. 9.5 got under $200 etc.) He's still 25 so I assume most are looking at it as a temporary blip meaning it may be a good time to buy. Personally I just picked up a ref. 9.5 for $190 which seems like too good a deal to leave.

The other guy is the player that Longoria reminded me most of when he came to the Majors for his all-around skill set and that is David Wright. A couple of seasons ago Wright looked like he was on his way to a remarkable career. His numbers all-around were tremendous, and improving. Then it seemed like everything unraveled and while he was still a very good player, the K's skyrocketed, and it looked like the initial trajectory he seemed to be on was lost.

Since he has returned from injury though, it has been a different story. In 9 games, he has raised his batting average from .226 to .280 (the small number of at-bats he had before made it easier.) He's had 3 doubles and 2 homers in that span, and 8 multi-hit games. More significant to me though, is that he's had had 5 strikeouts in the 9 games, 2 of which were in the first game. For a guy who was striking out on average more than once a game, 3 K's in 8 games is a huge accomplishment.

It's early, but I'm beginning to hope the old David Wright is back.

Thoughts on Longoria or Wright?

ffgameman

Aug 7, 2008
Kentucky
As an early Wright fan, I've been worried about him since last year. As you pointed out, too many Ks and just a general drop in performance have haunted him. It's nice to see him bouncing back after the injury; hopefully he can keep it up.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
I've been watching both players as well, my feeling is that they'll both continue to be very, very good at best but not great. Baseball-reference compares these guys to Scott Rolen and/or Eric Chavez which seems about right considering how all these guys came up.

ffgameman

Aug 7, 2008
Kentucky
AMAZIN HOF COLLECTOR said:
Wright went wrong after the All-Star Home Run Derby.
Whatever he did messed him up bad. Seems like he is back to his old swing and ways.
Still opening up a little on his swing though. ;)

The home run derby did mess him up, in my opinion.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
I'm not sure what to think of Longoria. He's obviously an elite player but I think we're at the point where expectations and perception have eclipsed his production. Granted this year is most certainly an anomaly but I was a little disappointed in his apparent lack of progression between 2009 and 2010. His power dipped while everything else remained pretty much the same.

Now, obviously this is picking nits when you're talking about a guy simply maintaining elite production in his age 24 season but I do wonder if his peak is going to be a little less than we've all expected. He's 2200 plate appearances into his career so, even being 25, we're probably seeing around where his talent level sits. And a great defensive third baseman with a .900 or so OPS (not to mention the worst contract for a player in the game) is incredibly valuable but I do wonder if 10 years from now we'll look back on his early career and realize that that's when he was at his best.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
ffgameman said:
Whatever he did messed him up bad. Seems like he is back to his old swing and ways.

My gut always said it had more to do with being hit in the head, though who knows.

Topnotchsy said:
ffgameman said:

My gut always said it had more to do with being hit in the head, though who knows.

Also noticed since he came back from his back injury last week he is standing closer to the plate. Even after some close pitches he's still crowding the plate. Something he stopped doing following the hit in the head. With this new "old" stance he's hitting better. So I also agree! ;)

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Topnotchsy said:
ffgameman said:
[quote="AMAZIN HOF COLLECTOR":136n1gti]Wright went wrong after the All-Star Home Run Derby.

Also noticed since he came back from his back injury last week he is standing closer to the plate. Even after some close pitches he's still crowding the plate. Something he stopped doing following the hit in the head. With this new "old" stance he's hitting better. So I also agree! ;)[/quote:136n1gti]
I've read that. Wright claims he has not made a change, and I usually don't read to much into minor changes like that, but it is possible that he got over a psychological hump. Hope so...

Members online