Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Is Mike Leake the best draft pick in the last 10 years?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bradical

Jun 21, 2009
Drafted in 2009 (and only 23 years old) and already has 17 MLB wins under his belt, with a career ERA of 4.08. I understand he played 4 years of college ball at ASU, but can you name a draft pick in the last decade that has had this type of impact so quickly, and so importantly to his team?

zdf123

Jan 21, 2011
bradical said:
Drafted in 2009 (and only 23 years old) and already has 17 MLB wins under his belt, with a career ERA of 4.08. I understand he played 4 years of college ball at ASU, but has can you name a draft pick in the last decade that has had this type of impact so quickly, and so importantly to his team?
I'd say there's a handful of better players. One off the top of my head is Dustin Pedroia

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
The amount of time it took from draft day to the Majors is impressive, but it's hard to say that that would make him even close to the best draft pick in the last 10 years. There have been a number of pitchers with very limited time in the Minors (Lincecum is one) and many, many pitchers who have done more at a younger age (albeit after spending more time in the Minors.) I think it is hard to say Leake has done more than Kershaw (38 wins, 3.06 ERA and just 23 years old, never had a full season with an ERA above 3, and leading the Majors in K's this season) etc.

cowboysrule48

Aug 7, 2008
Orlando, FL
Ryan Bruan?

Evan Longoria help get his team to the World Series in his rookie year.

These are just two. There are plenty that are better than Leake.

bradical

Jun 21, 2009
Topnotchsy said:
The amount of time it took from draft day to the Majors is impressive, but it's hard to say that that would make him even close to the best draft pick in the last 10 years. There have been a number of pitchers with very limited time in the Minors (Lincecum is one) and many, many pitchers who have done more at a younger age (albeit after spending more time in the Minors.) I think it is hard to say Leake has done more than Kershaw (38 wins, 3.06 ERA and just 23 years old, never had a full season with an ERA above 3, and leading the Majors in K's this season) etc.

Kershaw is an interesting choice. In his first two full seasons in the majors (with a year in the MiLB) he was 13-13 with nearly 300 Ks. Service time compared to Leake, Leake is going to possibly double him in wins.

You are all listing very amazing players who have done great things in their short MLB careers, but I think you are missing the point of the exercise and maybe I should have worded to question differently.

So, what other draft picks in the last 10 years have made a more impactful return to their team than Mike Leake has in under 2 full years of playing time? Is there another draft pick that has had similar playing time, that is already in the bigs and producing at a high level - that was not a #1 pick?

BrewerSuperCollector

Aug 10, 2008
bradical said:
Drafted in 2009 (and only 23 years old) and already has 17 MLB wins under his belt, with a career ERA of 4.08. I understand he played 4 years of college ball at ASU, but can you name a draft pick in the last decade that has had this type of impact so quickly, and so importantly to his team?

Leake was a steal. I mean he does steal. No, he did steal.

towsontiger1121

Jan 21, 2011
no way is this thread serious. the only reason leake made majors so quick is he had 4 years of college he is a avg pitcher at best and a era of 4 is nothing special any pitcher in the league that gets leakes run support would have as many wins or more i dont understand this love for leake. i mean can we mention younger players that by the time there 23 will have big impacts such as mike stanton freddie freeman and jason heyward . lets not forget kershaw is the same age and were not even mentioning stars like lincecom and price this is a joke leake is a joke and his off field issues only add to it. this guy will be a 3rd of the rotattion starter at best . i cant believe that you can even consider him a top 100 pick in the last ten years thats crazy absured your talking since 2001 wow im sure you can list many many players i means hes already 23 and has 17 wins ( who cares) thats not special . 23 isnt young either when you have 21 yr old i mentioned above performing at high levels and future guys such as trout and harper only gonna be 19 when they are both in majors performing at 23 is expected not great . be for real man mike leake wow why did you even say that? have you been drinking?

bradical

Jun 21, 2009
towsontiger1121 said:
no way is this thread serious. the only reason leake made majors so quick is he had 4 years of college he is a avg pitcher at best and a era of 4 is nothing special any pitcher in the league that gets leakes run support would have as many wins or more i dont understand this love for leake. i mean can we mention younger players that by the time there 23 will have big impacts such as mike stanton freddie freeman and jason heyward . lets not forget kershaw is the same age and were not even mentioning stars like lincecom and price this is a joke leake is a joke and his off field issues only add to it. this guy will be a 3rd of the rotattion starter at best . i cant believe that you can even consider him a top 100 pick in the last ten years thats crazy absured your talking since 2001 wow im sure you can list many many players i means hes already 23 and has 17 wins ( who cares) thats not special . 23 isnt young either when you have 21 yr old i mentioned above performing at high levels and future guys such as trout and harper only gonna be 19 when they are both in majors performing at 23 is expected not great . be for real man mike leake wow why did you even say that? have you been drinking?

So you are telling me that if you were the GM of a MLB team and one of your scouts told you that you could draft a pitcher who would get you 17 wins (presumably more be then end of the season) for the big league club over the next 1.5 years, you are going to look at them and call him crazy?

Firebirds11

Oct 6, 2010
bradical said:
towsontiger1121 said:

So you are telling me that if you were the GM of a MLB team and one of your scouts told you that you could draft a pitcher who would get you 17 wins (presumably more be then end of the season) for the big league club over the next 1.5 years, you are going to look at them and call him crazy?

Um.. W-L doesn't matter at all.

bradical

Jun 21, 2009
Firebirds11 said:
Um.. W-L doesn't matter at all.

Okay, so you are going to call him crazy for drafting someone who can go 251.2 IP with 174 Ks, 1.2 WHIP and a 4.08 ERA over the next 2 seasons for you for your MLB team.

Members online

Latest posts