Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Jim Callis' Updated Mets and Astros Top Prospects Lists

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
From today's Ask BA.

Mets

Most teams would be unwilling to trade an elite pitching prospect, but the Giants' desire to make the strongest defense possible of their World Series championship and their confidence in their ability to develop arms led them to deal Wheeler for two months of Beltran. The sixth overall pick in the 2009 draft, Wheeler is a 21-year-old righthander who easily delivers fastball in the mid-90s while also showing the potential for a plus curveball and changeup. Like a lot of young pitchers, he needs better command and consistency, but his upside as a frontline starter is undeniable.

Getting Wheeler was a coup for an organization that hasn't had much go right in recent years. One player alone doesn't make a farm system, but the trade for Wheeler is just one of several positives for the Mets on the minor league side. Others include a successful pro debut for 2010 first-rounder Matt Harvey, significant steps forward for Jeurys Familia and Jordan Valdespin, continued strong play from Kirk Nieuwenhuis and the drafting of Brandon Nimmo and Michael Fulmer. Assuming Nimmo signs as expected, I'd predict that the Mets would rank in the 11-15 range when we unveil our farm system rankings in the 2012 Prospect Handbook.

Including Nimmo, who probably won't turn pro until the day of the Aug. 15 signing deadline, here's how I'd update the Mets Top 10:

1. Zack Wheeler, rhp
Not an easy call, but I'm taking Wheeler over Harvey because he has a higher ceiling.
2. Matt Harvey, rhp
Tore up high Class A, has struggled in Double-A during his first pro season.
3. Brandon Nimmo, of
Highest pick ever from Wyoming (No. 13) was one of draft's best athletes.
4. Jeurys Familia, rhp
Still throwing in mid-90s, has improved command after rough 2010 season.
5. Kirk Nieuwenhuis, of
Not fair to call him an overachiever when he keeps producing everywhere he goes.
6. Jennry Mejia, rhp
System's No. 1 prospect entering 2011 had Tommy John surgery in May.
7. Cesar Puello, of
Having inconsistent year in high Class A, but still has five-tool potential.
8. Michael Fulmer, rhp
Fastball jumped to mid-90s, slider to mid-80s during high school senior year.
9. Jordany Valdespin, ss/2b
Enjoying breakout year with bat in Double-A, needs more defensive consistency.
10. Wilmer Flores, ss
Left field is best-case defensive scenario, and scouts are losing enthusiasm for his bat.

Astros

With the inclusion of Springer, who should sign by the Aug. 15 deadline, and the exclusion of current big leaguers Jose Altuve and J.D. Martinez, the updated Astros Top 10 below doesn't include a single prospect who was in the organization at the start of 2010.

Houston received Singleton, Cosart and Jonathan Villar in the Pence and Roy Oswalt trades with the Phillies; Brett Oberholtzer and Paul Clemens in the Bourn deal with the Braves; and Jimmy Paredes (not to mention big league closer Mark Melancon) in the Lance Berkman trade with the Yankees. The Astros also selected Springer, Mike Foltynewicz and Delino DeShields Jr. in the first round of the last two drafts and signed Ariel Ovando out of the Dominican in 2010.

Houston still is recovering from a series of bad drafts and inactivity in Latin America that left it with the game's thinnest farm system, but at least the team finally recognizes that a complete overhaul will be necessary to one day return to contention.

1. Jonathan Singleton, 1b/of
Should hit for power and average, has higher ceiling than Brett Wallace.
2. Jarred Cosart, rhp
Showed a 96-97 mph fastball, good secondary stuff during Futures Game.
3. George Springer, of
One of the best college athletes to come out of the draft in years.
4. Jonathan Villar, ss
Has plus-plus speed and arm strength, must tone down swing and approach.
5. Brett Oberholtzer, lhp
With three solid-to-plus pitches, profiles as a No. 3 or 4 starter.
6. Paul Clemens, rhp
Has 93-96 mph fastball with sink, may fit best as late-inning reliever.
7. Mike Foltynewicz, rhp
Runs his fastball up to 96 mph, needs better curve to become frontline starter.
8. Delino DeShields Jr., 2b
Loaded with speed and athleticism, but still very raw at age 18.
9. Jimmy Paredes, 2b/3b
Another speedy athlete who needs to refine his approach at the plate.
10. Ariel Ovando, of
His bat and power potential earned him a franchise-record $2.6 million bonus.

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008
Thanks. Hopefully Callis will have an updated Rockies Top Prospect list. Would love to see that

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Huffamaniac said:
Thanks. Hopefully Callis will have an updated Rockies Top Prospect list. Would love to see that

I'm curious about that myself, so I emailed him just now. Will post what he says.

daveyou

Aug 7, 2008
Queens, NY
was nimmo even considered to be drafted in the 1st round mock draft? im still scratching my head on that one...not that im even vaguely knowledgeable in terms of prospects but the fact that he's at #3 when really, he wasn't that highly regarded...

and what about fmart? does he not qualify as a prospect now or did he just fall off the top 10 list altogether?

dave

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
daveyou said:
was nimmo even considered to be drafted in the 1st round mock draft? im still scratching my head on that one...not that im even vaguely knowledgeable in terms of prospects but the fact that he's at #3 when really, he wasn't that highly regarded...

and what about fmart? does he not qualify as a prospect now or did he just fall off the top 10 list altogether?

dave

Yes, both Callis and Mayo projected him to be a 1st rounder. I believe Law did too, not sure.

EDIT - Mayo's final Mock had Nimmo going @ #24 to TB; Callis had him going #33 to TX.

F-Mart has over 130 Major League AB's.

daveyou

Aug 7, 2008
Queens, NY
Jaypers said:
daveyou said:

dave

Yes, both Callis and Mayo projected him to be a 1st rounder. I believe Law did too, not sure.

EDIT - Mayo's final Mock had Nimmo going @ #24 to TB; Callis had him going #33 to TX.

thanks jp, when i tried remembering the past mock draft 2011, i just didnt even see his name on the 1st round board. i guess he was slotted for the late or supp round. geez, i still can't believe our best draft recently was david wright in 02?

ah, fmart...the fact that we kept pridie and called up a 3rd string catcher when beltran got traded...just really not looking good.

dave

daveyou

Aug 7, 2008
Queens, NY
one more thing, in regards to deshields. i've been tracking his stats and even til about 3 weeks ago, he was batting at .190 but recently had like 12 game hitting streak, raising his avg to around .230.

he's def. raw, and why he got picked that high last year is beyond me (5'8"..) but i hope he's got that raw talent to at least be a jamile weeks type? that too far fetched at this time?

before the newly updated list for the astros, was he above or lower than 8?

dave

Nick1190

Banned
Aug 7, 2008
wow Flores at 10. he's really dropped off. Glad I dumped everything I had of him before he sunk.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
daveyou said:
before the newly updated list for the astros, was he above or lower than 8?

He was # 2 in their system overall in this year's BA Handbook.

tm decomposer

Aug 29, 2010
daveyou said:
Jaypers said:
daveyou said:

dave

thanks jp, when i tried remembering the past mock draft 2011, i just didnt even see his name on the 1st round board. i guess he was slotted for the late or supp round. geez, i still can't believe our best draft recently was david wright in 02?

ah, fmart...the fact that we kept pridie and called up a 3rd string catcher when beltran got traded...just really not looking good.

dave
Ike Davis's (I think) 2008 draft class the the potential to be huge if Havens stays healthy, Holt commands himself, Kirk gets healthy, and Schwinden coming up soon.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts