Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Is it odd to anyone else...Mike Stanton related

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
The guy hit his 25th HR tonight, a laser grand slam and made an incredible throw from RF to nail Jose Reyes at home yet.

Here - [phil:1g8lvaix]250861683733[/phil:1g8lvaix] here - [phil:1g8lvaix]330591731998[/phil:1g8lvaix] and here - [phil:1g8lvaix]260823284995[/phil:1g8lvaix] all cheaper than the offseason prior to him getting promoted to the majors...what more do you want from him!

Adam G

Jan 25, 2009
ProspectorsAdvantage said:
hit for average and play for the red sox or yankees.

this.

But really, he plays for the Marlins, so those prices actually are a little higher than I would have guessed they would be by this point in the season. If he can hit 30-40 HRs consistently over the next 2 or 3 seasons and then maybe have a 40+ year, prices will go up. But in general MLB fans pay little attention to the Marlins, and even if they do, they see the batting average and strikeouts and get turned off. Personally, I'd love to see his cards drop back under $50 so I can buy back in and stock up.

packbusta

Aug 15, 2010
So many sales nowadays are driven by potential, and not performance. Just my idea about Stanton's cards.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
packbusta said:
So many sales nowadays are driven by potential, and not performance. Just my idea about Stanton's cards.

I'd agree with this but I think it used to be even more true a few years ago.

For better or for worse, real or perceived potential = investment dollars. Investment dollars disappear as real or perceived potential disappears.

aminors

Aug 7, 2008
Southern IN
uniquebaseballcards said:
packbusta said:

For better or for worse, real or perceived potential = investment dollars. Investment dollars disappear as real or perceived potential disappears.

This is odd for me, but for like the second time this year I agree with you. You're exactly right.

However (and I'm not contradicting anything you said), I don't personally see how Mike Stanton doesn't have even more potential yet. He's so incredibly young and already has shown his incredible power in the MLB (received a standing ovation in BP today and hit his 25th homer). He'll cut down his Ks and increase his average. He's young and a very talented baseball player. I know the masses may give up on him when they see his average, but those people don't realize what potential really is I guess. Just because a player is in the MLB and isn't performing above average doesn't mean he doesn't have a bright future as an MLBer.

Nick1190

Banned
Aug 7, 2008
He's not a prospect anymore, he's a major leaguer. His prices are going to sink because he's not getting supper big hype like Machado, harper and Trout. Only a few MLB player's can sustain high prices for chrome autos.

That being said though, Stanton has turned out to be an exciting player to watch.

tm decomposer

Aug 29, 2010
1. That throw to home was a cannon.
2. That laser he hit was awesome, even though I'm a Mets fan.

Going to the game tomorrow to pretty much watch Stanton, can't wait.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
aminors said:
packbusta said:

This is odd for me, but for like the second time this year I agree with you. You're exactly right.

However (and I'm not contradicting anything you said), I don't personally see how Mike Stanton doesn't have even more potential yet. He's so incredibly young and already has shown his incredible power in the MLB (received a standing ovation in BP today and hit his 25th homer). He'll cut down his Ks and increase his average. He's young and a very talented baseball player. I know the masses may give up on him when they see his average, but those people don't realize what potential really is I guess. Just because a player is in the MLB and isn't performing above average doesn't mean he doesn't have a bright future as an MLBer.

Of course I am, this isn't exactly rocket science. I'm just usually correct a lot more than you'd care to admit, or at least we both know I will be looking back in fifteen years... :eek: But I see you can't help yourself from loving (hyping) Stanton either and looking in the short-term, LOL.

Anything can happen when short-term investors are involved, that means the hobby will experience countless price fluctuations that have little or nothing to do with real performance, and this *always* makes cards (too?) expensive for collectors who are left holding the bag.

aminors

Aug 7, 2008
Southern IN
aminors said:
packbusta said:

Of course I am, this isn't exactly rocket science. I'm just usually correct a lot more than you'd care to admit, or at least we both know I will be looking back in fifteen years... :eek: But I see you can't help yourself from loving (hyping) Stanton either, LOL.

But as you already agreed to in this post, if actual performance means nothing, why should potential to perform at a high level matter either...especially to anyone looking to invest beyond the short-term? In other words why pay more now for Stanton's potential to perform, if actual performance will likely never be rewarded???

You're loving (hyping) Stanton, apparently to promote a short-term investment agenda, but what you're advocating isn't healthy for the hobby when your agenda goes too far. The IBG-YBG/"I'll Be Gone, You'll Be Gone" mantra of years past hasn't produced a healthy economy in our country, nor does it produce a stable, healthy hobby 'economy' either. As time goes on regular collectors will hopefully be catching on but YBG so it doesn't matter I guess...?

Anything can happen when short-term investors are involved, that means the hobby will experience countless price fluctuations that have little or nothing to do with real performance, and this always makes cards (too?) expensive for collectors.

I'll hold for as long as it takes to make money. I don't care when that is. My post was not made with the intentions of hyping Stanton to drive up prices or anything. I don't give a damn what his prices do right now. I'm waiting for his real potential to kick in and him to become a star. Chances are, any spike that occurs during this time period (where he's batting like .200) will be short-lived and I will be unable to capitalize on it (not that I care). Your short-term investment idea isn't what's going on. Hell, I'll hold what I've got for five years and not give a damn.

Sorry, yeah I wrote good things about a player I'm invested in. Even if he doesn't increase in value, I still like his ability to mash a baseball and I'll just PC the stuff I've got. No big deal. I'm not posting to drive up prices. I'm posting to try to find a correlation between several things: A player's level at which he holds potential; a player's age and said potential; and a player's price when holding a certain amount of potential at a given level. Things are just not working out in my head over this particular pricing situation.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
aminors said:
I'll hold for as long as it takes to make money. I don't care when that is. My post was not made with the intentions of hyping Stanton to drive up prices or anything. I don't give a damn what his prices do right now. I'm waiting for his real potential to kick in and him to become a star. Chances are, any spike that occurs during this time period (where he's batting like .200) will be short-lived and I will be unable to capitalize on it (not that I care). Your short-term investment idea isn't what's going on. Hell, I'll hold what I've got for five years and not give a damn.

Sorry, yeah I wrote good things about a player I'm invested in. Even if he doesn't increase in value, I still like his ability to mash a baseball and I'll just PC the stuff I've got. No big deal. I'm not posting to drive up prices. I'm posting to try to find a correlation between several things: A player's level at which he holds potential; a player's age and said potential; and a player's price when holding a certain amount of potential at a given level. Things are just not working out in my head over this particular pricing situation.

I'd consider looking at it this way - if he's worthy he won't be inducted to the HOF until sometime about 2030-2035. This makes five years very much a short-term proposition relatively speaking LOL.

Honestly I think the contributing factors you're looking to assess are complex and are always going to be in flux, its likely the primary reason why short-term investing that may not have much to do with these factors is so popular with investors.

aminors

Aug 7, 2008
Southern IN
Honestly I think the contributing factors you're looking to assess are complex and are always going to be in flux, its likely the primary reason why short-term investing is so popular with investors.

You make a good point here. My frustration with trying to nail down a pattern has led me to like short-term prospecting (especially that which deals with selling before call-up) a lot better than its long-term counterpart.

I just don't get it. He's got just as much potential now as he ever has. The only difference is that he's in MLB rather than MiLB. So by crossing the threshold into the MLB does potential no longer matter? Are MLB guys considered performance-based investments ONLY?

Based on this example, yes. Maybe that's the pattern..?

Zymco

Nov 14, 2008
Bellflower, California
I'd like to maybe see him do it at the AA level, that will be a true test. All kidding aside, yeah same story as always, its all about the hyper. When he is nearly matching his minor league production at the major league level no one seems to care. The oddest thing ever to be honest with you. Stanton is an absolute beast.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
aminors said:
Honestly I think the contributing factors you're looking to assess are complex and are always going to be in flux, its likely the primary reason why short-term investing is so popular with investors.

You make a good point here. My frustration with trying to nail down a pattern has led me to like short-term prospecting (especially that which deals with selling before call-up) a lot better than its long-term counterpart.

I just don't get it. He's got just as much potential now as he ever has. The only difference is that he's in MLB rather than MiLB. So by crossing the threshold into the MLB does potential no longer matter? Are MLB guys considered performance-based investments ONLY?

Based on this example, yes. Maybe that's the pattern..?

I think one of the biggest and most easily overlooked factors is that once a player reaches the majors, the buyers completely change. A lot of the prospectors who were bidding on everything and driving up prices have very suddenly withdrawn from the market. On top of this, many of these same people become sellers.

The mlb collectors don't necessarily have a clue as to what the player can do. All they see is a $100 chrome auto price tag, which probably scares a lot of them away rather than drawing them into the market.

So essentially you have a lower demand and higher supply when a player like stanton (or any other heavily hyped player whose debut will not be missed by most of his card holders) makes the majors. It takes a long time for the player to prove he is worthy of those high prices, so it can take awhile for prices to recover and exceed their minor league peaks.

Members online