Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Players with no official Rookie Cards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Thought it was interesting that Doug Fister's rookies from 2010 don't have the RC flag, and aren't recognized as official RCs. Tony Sipp's 2011 Topps card doesn't have the RC logo, yet it is his rookie card. What's up with that? Does Topps just put the RC Logo on prospects, or are they just missing these guys (and who knows who else)?

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
gmarutiak said:
Didn't the same thing happen with Pedro Alvarez? I could be wrong (usually am).

Alvarez' 2011 cards don't have the logo but at least seem to be recognized as RCs by Beckett. Strange.

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
I may be wrong on this one but Smoaks 2011 Topps card doesn't have the logo.I don't recall him being in any 2010 products.

carlitoson

Aug 7, 2008
hofmichael said:
I may be wrong on this one but Smoaks 2011 Topps card doesn't have the logo.I don't recall him being in any 2010 products.
You are correct; Smoak doesn't have the logo.
Neither does Barry Enright.

50th round pick

Dec 1, 2008
I think Topps just forgets sometime, like when they annually screw up the "First Bowman Card" logo multiple times.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
Topps' record keeping of these matters is horrible.

If you rely on Topps to tell you what the official rookie card is, shame on you.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
It should be easy to tell what's going on with a card without having to be dictated to by a complicated and changing web of logos and licenses... all of which essentially only benefit licensing bodies.

All one needs is a little common sense - and transparency by manufacturers and licensing bodies. However it would be nice if Topps were consistent in their implementation here.

PeteD

Oct 15, 2009
Southern Ont.
hofmichael said:

He was in 2010 Pro Debut, but that's an minor league set.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
E-Topps cards are not true RCs. They aren't even released in packs OR sets. Believe it or not, distribution has a lot to do with the RC. I am on board with the current "soft" RC rules, but they at the very LEAST have to have some kind of normal distribution to be considered TRUE RCs, IMO.

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
sportscardtheory said:
E-Topps cards are not true RCs. They aren't even released in packs OR sets. Believe it or not, distribution has a lot to do with the RC. I am on board with the current "soft" RC rules, but they at the very LEAST have to have some kind of normal distribution to be considered TRUE RCs, IMO.
I agree.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
PeteD said:
How does everyone stand on UD Team USA cards?

RC or not? Smoak had one in 2007.

I still don't understand how anyone could ever honestly see a USA card, a minor league card or an unlicensed card as a true RC. RCs have always been a ML licensed card at the very LEAST. I mean, is a 2006 Just Minors Jesus Montero a "true" RC when his first ML card is 2008 and his first RC card will be 2011 or 2012? I don't see the majority of collectors thinking that. It's certainly his earliest appearance on a card and is an awesome collectible, but a TRUE RC it is not.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
sportscardtheory said:
PeteD said:
How does everyone stand on UD Team USA cards?

RC or not?

I still don't understand how anyone could ever honestly see a USA card, a minor league card or an unlicensed card as a true RC. RCs have always been a ML licensed card at the very LEAST.

"Be careful with 'always'," says a certain 1985 Mark McGwire card.

Members online

Latest posts