Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Prospecting question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SydBarrett

Mar 6, 2011
Hey guys, just a quick question. How much does it negatively affect a player, if he's on terrible team. Obviously I'm talking about Vinny, over his last 10 games he's hitting over 432. he has a 1.104 OPS eight doubles and one triple. He has almost doubled the amount of extra base hits as he does runs batted in. Since being called up to double-A he is hitting 370 and has been pretty much the only offense for Jackson. I'm wondering, does the fact that no one else on this team can it, therefore he's not getting any runs batted in negatively affect his value? He's not hitting as many home runs as he wasn't high a, but his hitting the better average and higher OPS. Last week he hit something like 480. I apologize if this is a stupid question, but this is the first person I've ever heavily invested in when it comes to prospecting and I just don't understand what is getting no love. His only 23 years old and plays a position where the parent MLB team is in dire need. Thanks for the input.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
With hitters, the quality of the team he's on doesn't really reflect in his prices. Sure, his RBIs might be lower than expected, but RBI totals only really cause movement in value if they are unusually high, earning him the label of 'RBI guy' that everyone loves. But with a hitter, you can look at his traditional and new-age Triple Crown stats and know pretty much what's what. The league he's in, his home park prejudices, and most especially his age give more weight than the prospectitude of his teammates.

If you've got a guy who you think should be priced above where he's at now, congratulations, that's what prospecting is all about. He does have some pretty gaudy numbers, though they are coming from a 22-year-old in his 3rd year in the minors at Single-A ball after 2 rather more lackluster years at lower levels, which I would surmise is keeping him off most radars. He'd pretty much be expected to be producing at this level if he's got real talent. However, some guys just get better and play up to the level of competition as they move up the ranks. If he can move up to Double-A by the end of the season, that'd be a great sign. In the meantime, if you believe in him, keep buying, but be ready to sell when everyone else takes notice.

Also, cardwise it looks like he's in just the one set, no autographs either. Sometimes it just takes a while for the hobby hive mind to pick up on guys like that. Also, there's a chance that he is on some people's watchlist, but they are waiting for a possible Chrome auto or something.

chompsmcgee

Jan 24, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
For the most part, a bad team won't stop an elite prospect from garnering hobby love. The Royals are a perpetual example of this.

The trouble with Vinnie is most "experts" have trouble seeing him ever developing into a regular in the majors. No way he stays at 3B so he's a fringy LF at best, which means he better mash and mash often. Everything with him is tied to how well his bat develops.

If he continues to hit he'll garner more hype thus driving his prices higher. That's what prospecting is founded on but unfortunately there isn't much hype for Vinnie.

Members online

Latest posts