Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Maybe some of those fake patches are real?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MallCopKJ

Aug 22, 2008
Time and time again we see examples of patches that we all agree are either faked or seem to be a patch from the wrong players jersey. Well, I found this card on Ebay:
92c5_1.jpg

Obviously Fitzgerald doesnt play for the Vikings, and thats clearly a Vikings logo patch. I was upset thinking anyone would fake a card like that, and fake it so bad that the patch is from a completely different team. Havent we seen those patches where a guy on the Brewers has a Yankee pinstripe or an Oriole has a Reds logo? Well, I was ready to move on, but decided to read the description: "Now you must be wondering were this patch came from. In 2004 Larry Fitzgerald was wearing a throwback Chris Carter Mitchell and Ness Jersey for the photo shoot and pieces of this Jersey where put into the set ".

I didnt believe that untill I saw this site: http://www.beckettpedia.com/default.asp ... entic.html

2004 FOOTBALL SP AUTHENTIC SERIES

A few players at the photo shoot wore Mitchell & Ness throwback jersey's for some of their SPA autograph/patches.

Here is the breakdown for the 2004 SPA's:

Tatum Bell - 1996 John Elway Pro Bowl jersey
Michael Clayton - 1982 Doug Williams T.B. jersey
Cedric Cobbs - 1986 John Hannah Patriots jersey
Keary Colbert - 1946 L.A. Dons jersey
Larry Fitzgerald - 1996 Chris Carter Pro Bowl jersey
Devery Henderson - 1971 Archie Manning Saints jersey
Greg Jones - 1996 Barry Sanders Pro Bowl jersey
Chris Perry - 1996 Barry Sanders Pro Bowl(gold SPA's only)
Ben Roethlisberger - 1976 Bradshaw Steelers jersey
Ben Troupe - 1949 Chicago Hornets jersey
Darius Watts - 1987 John Elway Broncos jersey
Roy Williams - 1983 Billy Sims Lions jersey(gold SPA's only)

Im not naive enough to believe theres no fake patches out there, but I will certainly think before I judge a card as fake or not again. I know a big one people always seem to wonder about is the Joe Dimaggio Sweet Spot patch from his A's jersey as a coach. Do you think this will make you think a little next time a card is in question because the patch appears to be from a different teams jersey, the player never played for?

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
Wouldn't trust it either. Impossible to authenticate any game used card. Maybe Lou Lampson could, he hasn't seen a jersey that wasn't game used.

Viking4Alpha

Aug 10, 2008
I don't even blame the patch fakers anymore. The card manufacturers put us all in these positions year in and year out by not putting any control measures into place to deter fraud. This is exactly why I'm done with "memorabilia" cards as a whole if not sports cards period.

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
Snyper said:
I don't even blame the patch fakers anymore. The card manufacturers put us all in these positions year in and year out by not putting any control measures into place to deter fraud. This is exactly why I'm done with "memorabilia" cards as a whole if not sports cards period.
Very well said snyper!! This is why people still make fake patches because the company's are not taking stricter measures to deter or eliminate fakes going around and besides the obvious ones it's hard to tell that some are fake at times. I will still collect patches as that's one big reason I collect cards but I have been a lot more aware because of this site. It's sad that as a patch collector I either have to live with it (cautiously) or quit collecting. I like auto and insert cards but I just done get the same thrill as a sweet incredible looking patch (with me thinking it's real ofcourse ;) ) as I do with the autos or insert. It is conceivable that some of the patches we think are fake (excluding the obvious ones ofcourse) are real.

Billy Packer

Aug 7, 2008
flightposite said:
I knew what jerseys they used and still wouldn't touch that card, just me.

I agree with Bo - this was widely publicized back when the set came out but that still looks wrong to me.

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
Snyper said:

Yep, if they want card collectors to take any game used card seriously. They need to make them tamper proof, and on the back of the card show it before it got cut up. List the providence of how the jersey was obtained and who authenticated it. So many jerseys have been proven to be bad in major auctions and no doubt with the cheap prices they sold for, the card company buyer's were all over that garbage. In a good way many bad jerseys have been cut up, but not good for card collector thinking he got a piece of something legit on the card. I think the card companies really don't care if these can be tampered with. It is an out for them if someone ever really pressed the issue on how legit the jerseys are they cut up. The more vague the better for them. Even the wording is vague on some of these cards. It just says on some this jersey was worn in an offical game, but not by who. I think we all know why that is.

Billy Packer

Aug 7, 2008
matchpenalty said:
Snyper said:

Yep, if they want card collectors to take any game used card seriously. They need to make them tamper proof, and on the back of the card show it before it got cut up. List the providence of how the jersey was obtained and who authenticated it. So many jerseys have been proven to be bad in major auctions and no doubt with the cheap prices they sold for, the card company buyer's were all over that garbage. In a good way many bad jerseys have been cut up, but not good for card collector thinking he got a piece of something legit on the card. I think the card companies really don't care if these can be tampered with. It is an out for them if someone ever really pressed the issue on how legit the jerseys are they cut up. The more vague the better for them. Even the wording is vague on some of these cards. It just says on some this jersey was worn in an offical game, but not by who. I think we all know why that is.

You hit the nail on the head. The bottom line is that the card companies flat out just don't care. There are easy ways to deter the rampant faking that goes on but it would be an extra expense to implement them. As long as they can sell their product into the market, they really could care less about the integrity of it on the secondary market.

pujolsjunkie

Aug 8, 2008
MallCopKJ said:
I know a big one people always seem to wonder about is the Joe Dimaggio Sweet Spot patch from his A's jersey as a coach.

Actually DiMaggio was wearing a Reggie Jackson Mitchell & Ness jersey at the photo shoot.

MallCopKJ

Aug 22, 2008
pujolsjunkie said:
MallCopKJ said:
I know a big one people always seem to wonder about is the Joe Dimaggio Sweet Spot patch from his A's jersey as a coach.

Actually DiMaggio was wearing a Reggie Jackson Mitchell & Ness jersey at the photo shoot.

Really? hmm..I thought he might have used my little league A's jersey ;)

Latest posts