Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Chances of Vogelsong winning the Cy Young?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ronfromfresno

Aug 7, 2008
Fresno, CA
I figure it's a very long shot, but he does lead the league in ERA and a top 20 WHIP, might end the year around 15 wins. I know Keshaw or Halladay are better options but with Vogelsong's story and his numbers being boarderline is there a chance the voters might vote for him?

AndruwHRJones

Aug 9, 2008
Unless Halladay or Hamels faulter big time down the stretch, I say Vogelsong has slim to no chance of winning it. Their WHIP and K numbers are far superior. Vogelsong is having a great year and will likely get some votes, but there would have to be some insane scenarios happening for him to win it all.

Btw, there are other great Cy Young candidates, I just listed the 2 that I personally think are the 2 front runners in my opinion.

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
The way you Giants fans talk, I would guess that a Giant will win ROY, the Cy, come back player of the year, the Rolaids Relief Man award, about 7 golden gloves, Miss America and a few senate seats.

ronfromfresno

Aug 7, 2008
Fresno, CA
Lancemountain said:
The way you Giants fans talk, I would guess that a Giant will win ROY, the Cy, come back player of the year, the Rolaids Relief Man award, about 7 golden gloves, Miss America and a few senate seats.

We do love our team, but as I stated I don't really think he has a chance but his numbers are good enough to be in the discussion.

No rookies playing on the Giants right now so no ROY. :(
Not sure about comeback, do they consider playing for the Pirates and then overseas a comeback?
Rolaids relief they have a shot best bull-pen ERA and the top save man in the NL, unless Bell got another save.
The Giants are statues in the field so no GG going to any of them.
Miss America, hmmmm Huff did wear a thong last year and Burrell is the Machine so maybe. :p
Senate seats, couldn't be any worse then what we have in California right now, so I'd vote for them.

ronfromfresno

Aug 7, 2008
Fresno, CA
AndruwHRJones said:
Unless Halladay or Hamels faulter big time down the stretch, I say Vogelsong has slim to no chance of winning it. Their WHIP and K numbers are far superior. Vogelsong is having a great year and will likely get some votes, but there would have to be some insane scenarios happening for him to win it all.

Btw, there are other great Cy Young candidates, I just listed the 2 that I personally think are the 2 front runners in my opinion.

I agree, Hamels has a sub 1 WHIP and Halladay has only walked 20 batters but if they have two or three tough games and Vogelsong stays on the pace he's been on I think he could be in the mix.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
Lancemountain said:

You forgot about the NL AND AL MVP, and a couple Golden Globes.

showoff

Aug 8, 2009
ronfromfresno said:
Lancemountain said:

We do love our team, but as I stated I don't really think he has a chance but his numbers are good enough to be in the discussion.

Not sure about comeback, do they consider playing for the Pirates and then overseas a comeback?
Rolaids relief they have a shot best bull-pen ERA and the top save man in the NL, unless Bell got another save.
Miss America, hmmmm Huff did wear a thong last year and Burrell is the Machine so maybe. :p
Senate seats, couldn't be any worse then what we have in California right now, so I'd vote for them.
Shut up. Maybe Vogelsong will win best story the way you put. Everyone is sick and tired of all these giants homers on this board. Your time won the WS, who cares. The Packers won the SB and you don't hear any of this **** on the football forums. At times I feel that we should have a Giants forum and a lot more threads put into the Trashtalking area because this is all this thread will achieve.

dp33

Jun 2, 2009
ronfromfresno said:

Have you ever heard of Brandon Belt or Brandon Crawford? It's not because they don't have any - it's because the ones that have played this year haven't fared too well.

Vogelsong definitely has a better chance at Comeback Player of the Year. Would be great if he won the Cy Young, but I don't see it happening.

fkw

May 28, 2010
Kea'au, HI
If Halladay loses 4 or 5 more games and his ERA jumps closer to 3.00 ....... and Ryan goes 15-1 then YES

Otherwise there is no chance, it is a popularity contest too, Halladay is a great pitcher but he is even more popular NOW (w/ Phillies) than he is talented (dominating) IMO, same with Cliff Lee.... they are both very hitable unlike say..... Verlander is this year..... or Lincecum in years past.

On Volgelsong he would need to have a crazy W/L % (ie 15-1) win the ERA (maybe sub 2.00) and the Giants win the WEST to have a good chance...

Dice-K Collector

Mar 21, 2010
Lancemountain said:

Lol. Post thanked.

padremurph

Aug 7, 2010
Lancemountain said:

:lol:

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
In a season with fewer very visible candidates who are having remarkable seasons he might have gotten attention, but with guys like Kershaw, Halladay and Hamels playing as they are, it's unlikely he'll get much attention.

ronfromfresno

Aug 7, 2008
Fresno, CA
showoff said:
ronfromfresno said:
Lancemountain said:

Shut up. Maybe Vogelsong will win best story the way you put. Everyone is sick and tired of all these giants homers on this board. Your time won the WS, who cares. The Packers won the SB and you don't hear any of this shat on the football forums. At times I feel that we should have a Giants forum and a lot more threads put into the Trashtalking area because this is all this thread will achieve.

I've said it before in several threads if you have a problem with Giants fans don't read the posts and don't respond. It's a simple thing use the foe button or simply ignore us. Bye troll.

ronfromfresno

Aug 7, 2008
Fresno, CA
TBTwinsFan said:
Lancemountain said:

You forgot about the NL AND AL MVP, and a couple Golden Globes.

Giants play in the NL so no AL MVP. :(
No Giants with more than 11 HR on the team and I'm not sure the entire team has scored 100 runs so no NL MVP.
Golden Globes could be in the mix though, The Franchise does air on Showtime on Wednesdays. :lol:

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
fkw said:
If Halladay loses 4 or 5 more games and his ERA jumps closer to 3.00 ....... and Ryan goes 15-1 then YES

Otherwise there is no chance, it is a popularity contest too, Halladay is a great pitcher but he is even more popular NOW (w/ Phillies) than he is talented (dominating) IMO, same with Cliff Lee.... they are both very hitable unlike say..... Verlander is this year..... or Lincecum in years past.

On Volgelsong he would need to have a crazy W/L % (ie 15-1) win the ERA (maybe sub 2.00) and the Giants win the WEST to have a good chance...

You think Halladay is more popular than dominating? If Halladay (159 K, 2.55 ERA, 1.02 WHIP) is "very hittable", how would you describe the rest of the pitchers in the league? 14 Wins and 6 Complete Games seems pretty dominating to me...I guess that will make you pretty popular.

ronfromfresno

Aug 7, 2008
Fresno, CA
tpeichel said:
fkw said:

You think Halladay is more popular than dominating? If Halladay (159 K, 2.55 ERA, 1.02 WHIP) is "very hittable", how would you describe the rest of the pitchers in the league? 14 Wins and 6 Complete Games seems pretty dominating to me...I guess that will make you pretty popular.

Those are pretty dominating stats, and I think he's the front runner for the CY........I was just curious if others thought Vogelsong's story would translate his boarderline stats into votes.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
It's probably b/c I like the Phillies that I feel this way, but these threads are far worse than Kevin's ******* Ryan Howard threads.

I'm thoroughly shocked GiantsSuperHomerCollector didn't start this one...although he did start the Comeback POY thread for Vogelsong.

VOGELSONG FOR MVP!!!

Members online

Latest posts