Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Is it weird to anyone seeing Pujols and Ichiro struggle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
These guys have been remarkably consistent and premier players their entire careers. They both burst onto the scene in 2001 and snag ROY awards, they win MVPs, they hit .300 every year. Pujols bashes 30-40 every year, Ichiro collects 200 hits every year..

Looks like all of this won't happen for either of them for the first time in their career. Such a crazy coincidence that they came in together and had the worst year of their careers the same year...

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Bad seasons for those guys are still better than what 98% of the league could do.

Pujols has been hurt, so given a full season he's be close to his normal numbers. I wouldn't be surprised to see him turn it up a little bit heading into the home stretch, especially if the division is on the line.

If I were Ichiro, I wouldn't want to get any hits this year either. If you do get a hit, there's no one on base to drive in, and there's no one behind you who can drive you in. Even if a miracle happens and Seattle scores a run, whoever is pitching will manage to give up just one more run than the Mariners can score, and there's another loss.

Vagrant

May 2, 2009
Age is catching up to both of them. It sucks to see, but you had to know it was coming. Probably why St. Louis didn't want to play ball on a healthy extension for Pujols.

ronfromfresno

Aug 7, 2008
Fresno, CA
I think age is a big factor, Ichiro had several seasons in Japan before coming here, which made his consistancy to this point even more remarkable. Wasn't there concerns that Pujols might be older than his birth certificate states? Could explain a drop off, but I'd assume that a big slugger is bound to get injured and have a down season.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
Not long ago people were saying Pujols would get a 10yr contract.

Now they are saying age has caught up with him. :lol:

packbusta

Aug 15, 2010
vwnut13 said:

Give the man a break. He's arguably the best 40 year old in the game!

Vagrant

May 2, 2009
vwnut13 said:

I wasnt saying anything of the sort. I think it would be suicide to give that guy anything more than 4 or 5 years. He's not going to play that well into his 40's. I think we're starting to see the decline.

PujolsCollector

Jan 17, 2011
St.Louis
Pujols will still hit 30+ HRs 100+ RBIs Even at that that is better than some 10 year veterans did in there entire carrer.
Im not trying to be a Pujols homer here but he has like 65 RBIs and 25 HR. So that means he is close to 100 RBIs with where he bats in the order if the 2 before him get on he could have 100 RBIs within the next 3 weeks

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
Pujols started of very slow and locked up his average low and that always makes it harder to pull up. It just seems strange that this year of all years he has his worst after asking the the billions he wanted....

craftysouthpaw

Jan 8, 2010
Pujols is still having a really good year compared to the league. Just not his normal amazing year.

Ichiro just plain sucks this year.

its amusing that the projected numbers for pujols are considered a down year... those projections are career years for some guys. pujols is going to cash in... regardless... i personally hope its a contract in boston there is going to be an opening in rf... and opening at dh...

JzWand

Jun 8, 2009
Burlington Ontario Canada
I still think both guys have a chance to get close to their normal #'s outside BA.

Pujols is on pace for about 38 HRs and 100 rbi.
Considering the time he missed he would probably be at his normal power #'s.

With Ichiro, I think its just age starting to catch up!

Really a shame Ichiro didnt start his career in MLB about 5-6 years earlier.

I truly believe he could have been the all time hits leader by the time his career was done.

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
How good do the cards look right now? They predicted the demise of Pujols, who is clearly not worth the type of
money that he wanted.

Kevin

jetsrule4

Aug 16, 2008
PujolsCollector said:
Pujols will still hit 30+ HRs 100+ RBIs Even at that that is better than some 10 year veterans did in there entire carrer.
Im not trying to be a Pujols homer here but he has like 65 RBIs and 25 HR. So that means he is close to 100 RBIs with where he bats in the order if the 2 before him get on he could have 100 RBIs within the next 3 weeks
No.

jetsrule4

Aug 16, 2008
schmidtfan20 said:
How good do the cards look right now? They predicted the demise of Pujols, who is clearly not worth the type of money that he wanted.

Kevin
Albert Pujols is the single most valuable baseball player to his respective team, the others really arent close. The Cardinals have a good team, but they would not even be close to the perenial division winning team without him. There post-season hopes lie squarely on the shoulders of Albert Pujols, as they do every year, and every year he embraces it and performs at a higher level then anybody else in the game. I would pay him 25 million a year if thats what it takes to secure him. His bat, glove, baseball I.Q. and the overall class act he is, along with pure talent, is the reason the Cardinals have a good attendance. With that being said;
Albert Pujols=$ for the Cardinals and wins in the post season. Period.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
99% of MLB players would love to be struggling as much as Pujols is this year.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
schmidtfan20 said:
How good do the cards look right now? They predicted the demise of Pujols, who is clearly not worth the type of
money that he wanted.

Kevin
So one "off" year defines a players entire career?

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
jetsrule4 said:
schmidtfan20 said:
How good do the cards look right now? They predicted the demise of Pujols, who is clearly not worth the type of money that he wanted.

Kevin
Albert Pujols is the single most valuable baseball player to his respective team, the others really arent close. The Cardinals have a good team, but they would not even be close to the perenial division winning team without him. There post-season hopes lie squarely on the shoulders of Albert Pujols, as they do every year, and every year he embraces it and performs at a higher level then anybody else in the game. I would pay him 25 million a year if thats what it takes to secure him. His bat, glove, baseball I.Q. and the overall class act he is, along with pure talent, is the reason the Cardinals have a good attendance. With that being said;

Actually down the stretch, when the Cards needed Pujols to produce, he didn't. check the stats, last year and the year
before when the cards were still in it and they needed wins against the cubs and other NL Central foes, Albert went into
hiding. He was a large part of the 04 team, but in the last few years, at the end of the season, not so much.

Kevin

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
schmidtfan20 said:
jetsrule4 said:
schmidtfan20 said:

Kevin

Actually down the stretch, when the Cards needed Pujols to produce, he didn't. check the stats, last year and the year
before when the cards were still in it and they needed wins against the cubs and other NL Central foes, Albert went into
hiding. He was a large part of the 04 team, but in the last few years, at the end of the season, not so much.

Kevin

You don't have the faintest idea of what you speak. Every once and awhile you spew this nonsense about Pujols wilting towards the end of the season but it is completely baseless. It has been pointed out to you with stats in several other threads that he is as steady at the end of the year as in the beginning. Despite this fact you continue to throw this **** out there in hopes that if you say it enough you will convince others that you are correct and they should abandon hard facts. You truly are a sad person if all you have in your life is this need to try and stir trouble on a message board.

By the way, there is no need to sign every post. Even if we didn't recognize your moronic posts for what they are we'd recognize that thug-like avatar photo (Seriously, that's the best photo you could find of this guy??)

Members online

Latest posts