Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Shane Victorino Suspended 3 Games, Ramirez and Whitey Fined

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jan 15, 2009
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/68451 ... ed-3-games

Major League Baseball has suspended Philadelphia Phillies center fielder Shane Victorino three games for his role in the Giants-Phillies bench-clearing incident Friday, a source told ESPN.com's Jayson Stark. The source said Victorino will appeal.

Victorino
Tempers flared in the sixth inning when San Francisco reliever Ramon Ramirez hit Victorino in the lower back with a pitch, moments after the Phillies' Jimmy Rollins stole second with a six-run lead. Victorino began walking toward the mound and Eli Whiteside, the Giants' catcher, stepped in front of him and began jumping up and down. Philadelphia's Placido Polanco raced in from second base and was tackled by Whiteside.

Victorino pushed home plate umpire Mike Muchlinski trying to get back into the fray, then was held back by Giants bench coach Ron Wotus and Phillies hitting coach Greg Gross.

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
Re: Shane Victorino Suspended 3 Games, Giants Players Fined

Must be frustrating to be World Champs & know they have zero chance of repeating. Shane was 1005 justified in his actions & I'll bet he wins his appeal. The only thing the Phils did in that game was kick ass & defend themselves.

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA

allstars said:
Must be frustrating to be World Champs & know they have zero chance of repeating. Shane was 1005 justified in his actions & I'll bet he wins his appeal. The only thing the Phils did in that game was kick ass & defend themselves.

That's a great quote. Last year at this time, I thought the Giants had a 5% chance of making the playoffs. I don't think they will repeat, but the unexpected could happen.

Shane was suspended for pushing an umpire. He deserves it.

Jan 15, 2009
schmidtfan20 said:
lets hope the dodgers aren't bush league too.
Are you serious? That series has two of the worst fanbases in all of sports...

MLB punished the Giants by not suspending Whiteside.

JTfor3

Mar 5, 2009
GiantsSuperCollector said:
schmidtfan20 said:

And you think your fanbase is so superior to both teams? If I were to judge the Giants fan base, based just on you, I would say the Giants had the "worst fanbase in all of sports."

And the fact that Ramirez and Whiteside were not suspended is a total joke...

Jan 15, 2009
JTfor3 said:
schmidtfan20 said:

And you think your fanbase is so superior to both teams? If I were to judge the Giants fan base, based just on you, I would say the Giants had the "worst fanbase in all of sports."

Victorino was suspended for bumping the ump and jumping back into the pile. Where did I say superior, who beats an innocent fan into a coma or pukes onto someone's daughter?

alexs64

Jul 28, 2010
Moreno Valley, Ca
JTfor3 said:
schmidtfan20 said:

Victorino was suspended for bumping the ump and jumping back into the pile. Where did I say superior, who beats an innocent fan into a coma or pukes onto someone's daughter?

You know afterall that is going to be done to the people who will be charged with beating that Giants fan up. I am surprised they didn't throw in GAY BASHING as a side offense.

fengzhang

Aug 10, 2008
Chicago, IL

allstars said:

In case your peabrain didn't comprehend, Victorino was suspended for pushing the umpire. Stealing bases with 6 run leads, pretending like you got hit by a pitch when you didn't, throwing at someone...none of that makes a player or his team look classy. MLB let that go. Victorino got hit with the suspension because he did something stupid.

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
JTfor3 said:
schmidtfan20 said:

I didn't see the entire game as it was during the National. I would say that Whiteside probably should have been suspended too for tackling Polanco.

Jan 15, 2009
lisu said:
JTfor3 said:
schmidtfan20 said:

I didn't see the entire game as it was during the National. I would say that Whiteside probably should have been suspended too for tackling Polanco.
They are punishing us for not suspending him...

ronfromfresno

Aug 7, 2008
Fresno, CA

allstars said:

Zero chance to repeat, really?

I think Rameriz and Whiteside should have some form of suspension but really a game out for a relief pitcher and a backup catcher doesn't accomplish must so a fine makes more sense. Victorino doing the sled drill with the umpire and then tackling Bam Bam is why he got the time he got. Dumb move on both parts, no matter how fired up you are. I mean the Phillies still can't believe they lost in "Doc"-tober last year, they put too much emphasis into a series in early August trying to prove something to themselves. Heck their manager had to make comments about how non-great the pitching staff was, that had just become the first team this season to take a series in Philly, just so the Phillies could feel good about themselves. They took all of that pent up emotion into the Giants series and when normal baseball actions happened, liked guys getting beaned, they overreacted. The Giants didn't go crazy when Utley threw his bat at Lincecum........can't wait to see these two teams match up in the post season again, should be fun. It was great last season watching Philly fans stare in disbelief that their beloved team had just lost to the Giants. It was hillarious, the stand were filled, not with angry fans about the loss, but fans who obviously never considered the possibility that the Phillies could lose and as a consequence they couldn't process what had just happened on the field.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
...who beats an innocent fan into a coma or pukes onto someone's daughter?
Wow, this argument again? Two of the worst fan bases in sports? Really? A couple of scumbag criminals viciously assault Bryan Stow, and that makes all Dodger fans criminals? A drunken lout hurls on a child, so that makes all Phillies fans guilty of obnoxious behavior? I guess I could take your ridiculous stereotyping of other fan bases and apply the same thought process to paint all Giant fans as idiots, right?

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
TNP777 said:
...who beats an innocent fan into a coma or pukes onto someone's daughter?
Wow, this argument again? Two of the worst fan bases in sports? Really? A couple of scumbag criminals viciously assault Bryan Stow, and that makes all Dodger fans criminals? A drunken lout hurls on a child, so that makes all Phillies fans guilty of obnoxious behavior? I guess I could take your ridiculous stereotyping of other fan bases and apply the same thought process to paint all Giant fans as idiots, right?

I would say the Rays' and Marlins' fan bases are the worst. They barely exist. There are idiots at all ballparks. I blame the Dodgers' problems strictly on Frank McCourt. The Dodgers before McCourt bought them were a great team.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
lisu said:
...I blame the Dodgers' problems strictly on Frank McCourt. The Dodgers before McCourt bought them were a great team.
100% agree. The other MLB owners need to get together and rid themselves, the Dodgers and their fans of the McCourt cancer. To a point, those who hate the Dodgers can justifiably chuckle at their misfortune, but the reality is that all of baseball is hurt by this mess. Declining attendance and general apathy towards one of the crown jewels of baseball is bad for the MLB brand.

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
when did Giants fan get so whiny? They just got their asses handed to them at their own place, if that isn't enough to
go run and hide I don't know what is.

Kevin

ronfromfresno

Aug 7, 2008
Fresno, CA
schmidtfan20 said:
when did Giants fan get so whiny? They just got their asses handed to them at their own place, if that isn't enough to
go run and hide I don't know what is.

Kevin

Why are you posting I thought you only showed up when Howard is doing well? I mean 1 for 12 with 8k's in a series is terrible, even for him. :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts